Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Jackson - Has Potential of Being on Top of his Game

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to his MUSIC, not his LIFE, people are saying that Jackson hasn't had a significant moment in his career in over 10 years or so. But in that respect they would be wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Michael Jackson fan by any means. I don't own one album, and I don't mix his 70's, 80's, 90's, or 00's hits in my compilation tapes for my car. But he has the potential of releasing more hits, especially if the collaboration with Barry Gibb goes through as scheduled. The trick with Michael is not his music so much as it is with the production. His 'hee-hee's' all through his songs are irritating.

But let's recap:
his 2001 album, "Invincible," went to #1 on the album chart, and even yielded a top 10 hit with "You Rock My World." Astounding! Especially since the song was unlistenable the first time I gave it a chance on the radio. The video further alienated me from liking it.

In 1995, his "HIStory" greatest-hits collection went to #1 and yielded two top 5 singles with "Scream," the horrible duet with his sister Janet, and the not-so-bad ballad "You Are Not Alone," written by R. Kelly. The significance of "You Are Not Alone" is that it became the very first single in Billboard history to ever debut at the top of the chart, where it remained for one week. See, he re-wrote the history books with that achievement, and that was only eight years ago.

Say what you want about his personal life (I think he should be put in jail, and the mothers of all the children who are allowed to sleep with him should be severely punished to the fullest extent of the law), and you can even dislike his music - but he's rich, he's young, and right now he's still very famous. He may still pull a rabbit out of his demented hat.

P.S. - I'd just love to watch him burn flat to the ground. I think its inevitable that he's on the path to self-destruction. I sympathize for any child like him who suffered at the hands of an abusive father, but he's affecting the lives of children himself; not through physical abuse, but through his delusional and alledged sexual abuse.
Old 03-06-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ooookay, then.

grunter backs out of this thread very, very slowly.
Old 03-06-03, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correction: the mothers AND fathers should be in some trouble for allowing their children to be around MJ.

I agree that the noises like "hee hee" have grown extremely tiresome, and he probably is still capable of some hits. But, this can only happen if we NEVER see him. He should become one of those stars that simply releases records without making videos full of revolting crotch-grabbing and tired dance moves. Let the music talk, but that's it.
Old 03-06-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I think he's shot himself in the foot too many times to have a real comeback,no matter how good the material might be. Sure, there will be an initial surge in sales, and the record will debut at #1, but it will fade very quickly. If an album doesn't have legs, it is doomed to relative obscurity. The fact that "You are not alone" debuted at #1 is impressive, but it only stayed there for a week. How long was it in the top 10? Top 40?

MJ has sadly relegated himself to novelty act status.
Old 03-06-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Invincible was a failure. It cost in excess of 30 million just to make/promote and barely went gold. I would hardly call Jackson "young".
Old 03-06-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's only 43 or so. Bruce Springsteen was 35 when he did "Born in the U.S.A" in 1985, and he's still going (sort of...he's winning awards, and still achieving #1 albums, but...still)
Old 03-06-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by the aftermath
Invincible was a failure. It cost in excess of 30 million just to make/promote and barely went gold. I would hardly call Jackson "young".
Yep, the thing was ridiculous. But it did sell. It went platinum in the US by December and sold over 4 million worldwide in the first week. A great feet for any artist who didn't spend so much on a recording, but not in this case.
Old 03-06-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
His career in the U.S. at least is finished. He'll never come back from the sheer volume of scandal that's been unleashed in the last few months.
Old 03-06-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unless he reinvents himself. And I don't mean facial reconstructive surgery.
Old 03-06-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Washed up veal.....
Old 03-06-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Ergyu
Yep, the thing was ridiculous. But it did sell. It went platinum in the US by December and sold over 4 million worldwide in the first week. A great feet for any artist who didn't spend so much on a recording, but not in this case.
First, I can't stand the weirdo. But according to www.riaa.com, "Invincible" sold over 2 million in the U.S. alone (so I'm assuming the numbers are higher than 4 million worldwide because he has more fans overseas). And "HIStory" sold 7 million.
Old 03-07-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The climate in the 80's for Jackson to be relevant existed. Now, with so much rap, hip hop, electronica.... he's a hasbeen. "Beat It" actually sounded fresh once upon a time. I can't imagine Jackson doing anything that would be considered fresh today. Maybe he can prove me wrong, but he'll need some help.