Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Singles Released - what were they thinking??

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-05-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes, a single will be released for radio play or for purchase weeks before the album hits the streets, sort of like a prelude to what you can expect from the rest of the album.

Sometimes they release the best track from the album. But sometimes, just sometimes, they release a song that's terrible.

"Morrison Hotel" by The Doors 1970, for example.

The first single released was NOT "Roadhouse Blues." It wasn't even "Waiting For The Sun." It was "You Make Me Real." Ever heard of it? Man, the song didn't even reach the top 40, and "Roadhouse Blues" wasn't even released as a single.

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" by Bruce Springsteen 1978

The first single was "Prove It All Night," which managed to squeak in at #33 on the Singles chart. Wouldn't a better 1st single have been "Badlands," or even "The Promised Land?"

"The River" by Bruce Springsteen 1980

A double-album, filled with good songs, and they actually released the best commercial single 1st with "Hungry Heart." Fine, but the follow-up single is where I get confused! They followed up "Hungry Heart" with the soft ballad "Fade Away" instead of with "Cadallic Ranch."
Old 03-05-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey! I like "You Make Me Real", now it may not be the uberhit that Roadhouse Blues is, but I still find some enjoyment in it.

As for the boss, I dunno, I don't listen to Springsteen.