Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Irreversible -UK release

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Irreversible -UK release

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irreversible -UK release

About bloody time -listed for the 26 May here

No sign of a DVD certificate at www.bbfc.co.uk yet but hopefully it will remain uncut.
Old 03-04-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think it will. There was a lot of talk before the film's UK theatrical release about the BBFC passing the film uncut only for theatrical distribution.

Here's hoping, though.
Old 03-04-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Lucas......You might want to wait for this one as LionsGate has stated quite a few times that they would like to have the film on dvd uncut as it was presented in Europe.

The R1 release should be out around the end of July if I could remember correclty.
Old 03-04-03, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I don't think it will. There was a lot of talk before the film's UK theatrical release about the BBFC passing the film uncut only for theatrical distribution.

Here's hoping, though.

I saw the movie last night at the American Cinematech with the director speaking afterwards. After all the speculation of various experts on this topic in these forums, the director stated point-blank that it has been released UNCUT in every market in the world that it has been sold to (its in his contract) except Japan where there was some digital fogging in the last scene.

So, everyone who is worried/concerned about seeing the uncut version in your country, don't be. And don't shell out $40+ for un-subtitled French disc, all versions are uncut.

thomas
Old 03-04-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

right on....Great news!!
Old 03-04-03, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by litza
the director stated point-blank that it has been released UNCUT in every market in the world that it has been sold to
My original post doesn't refute this. As I said, the film was uncut in theaters in the UK, but will probably not remain so on home video. Taking into account Noé's demands for an uncut release or no release at all, we shall see what is to come of the UK DVD release of the film.
Old 03-04-03, 03:44 PM

Yeah, Metro-Tartan (UK distributors) have mentioned they will only release the film uncut.

Metro Tartan have even suggested they might take this to court -it's a criminal offence to release a film without it being censored in the UK. I think that's against European law IMO.
Old 03-04-03, 03:52 PM

Where is a good place to order the UK version from. I have been waiting to see this movie and was wondering if anyplace is accepting pre-orders yet.
Old 03-04-03, 03:56 PM

It's not appeared anywhere I think except from my link. Once it does appear try www.amazon.co.uk or www.bensonsworld.co.uk
Old 03-04-03, 04:47 PM

My original post doesn't refute this. As I said, the film was uncut in theaters in the UK, but will probably not remain so on home video. Taking into account Noé's demands for an uncut release or no release at all, we shall see what is to come of the UK DVD release of the film.
Again. According to the director. It will be released uncut on video in the UK.
Old 03-04-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's cross our fingers!
Old 03-04-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw the movie last night at the American Cinematech with the director speaking afterwards. After all the speculation of various experts on this topic in these forums, the director stated point-blank that it has been released UNCUT in every market in the world that it has been sold to (its in his contract) except Japan where there was some digital fogging in the last scene.

thomas
Why would they fog the last scene? Nothign even remotely offensive is shown about the last 30 minutes of the film.
Old 03-05-03, 02:18 AM

Oh, so he explicitly mentioned the video release?
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Why would they fog the last scene? Nothign even remotely offensive is shown about the last 30 minutes of the film.
Except genitalia, which the Japanese have low tolerance for (on film at least).
Old 03-05-03, 02:18 AM

Oh, so he explicitly mentioned the video release?
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Except genitalia, which the Japanese have low tolerance for (on film at least).
Old 03-05-03, 05:32 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless the film currently has a BBFC certificate for Video/DVD release (and AFAIK. it doesn't), we can't really say "it will". Gaspar Noe's intention may be for the film to be released uncut everywhere, but that doesn't mean that every classification board in the world is going to let the film through uncut!

quote:

Tyler is quite reasonably pointing out that it will be interesting to see what happens regarding the film's submission for a UK video/DVD certificate - it initially seems that the film will appear on video/DVD 'as is' (ie the theatrical version), or not at all. I agree that it will be interesting to see how the BBFC deal with this. Again, just because the filmmaker and/or distributor wants a film to be released uncut/untampered (and who wouldn't?) doesn't mean that they will get their way...

Dazza.

Last edited by Dazza; 03-05-03 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-17-03, 05:39 AM

I got an email reply this morning from the BBFC (British Board of Film Censors www.bbfc.co.uk) in response to my query to whether they intended to cut the film for video certficate:

They said "No - we do not intend to cut it. It will be released '18' uncut on video and DVD."

...and:

"Yes. We're sorry it's not on our website yet but we need to approve the
video/DVD packaging first. It should be on there soon. We won't say we
hope you enjoy it but we hope you find it interesting and/or rewarding
(!!)...."

To which I replied...

Yes, it doesn't sound like something any one could 'enjoy' -it's just a good thing that one can be allowed to watch these things to make up one's own mind (as did the people who censored/certificated the film for the BBFC).

I'm awaiting for the reply from a censor that can take action that ends with a person being jailed for selling, renting, exchanging or trading any video that the BBFC hasn't censored.

And we're warring against Iraq's dictator. I think we should be more concerned about the MPAA and the BBFC.
Old 03-17-03, 09:08 AM

That's good news, Lucas. The BBFC has shown many signs of becoming more lenient on the "18" rating in the last few years. Hopefully the trend will continue.