Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Lawrence Of Arabia: Limited Edition

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I did the CH thing and Lawrence Of Arabia: LE looked to be a fantastic deal. It's the 2 disc limited edition. Granted I haven't seen the movie in probably 15 years but from what I remember about it, seeing it in theaters (I think it was re-released for the screen) was that it was a great movie. I've not seen it for a LONG time and have forgotten most all of the movie, since I was a young kid at the time.

What are your guys impressions of this movie, and more specifically the 2-disc limited edition version? I know it's an old movie (1962 I believe) but it's been said to be one of the best movies of all times.
Old 02-25-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd personally place it in or near the top 10 films ever made... The LE is a nice set - the print used for the transfer still has issues (Robert Harris has said as much and he did the restoration) that are easier to see on a larger 16X9 display - but all in all it's probably as good as we'll see until HD-DVD comes along... Great film, great DVD release, enjoy!
Old 02-25-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this one for the first time a few years ago, when the LE was first released. It's a very strange film by today's standards, but the depth and curiosity are refreshing. I have friends who love it and friends who hate it, so ymmv.

- David Stein
Old 02-25-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
I'd personally place it in or near the top 10 films ever made... The LE is a nice set - the print used for the transfer still has issues (Robert Harris has said as much and he did the restoration) that are easier to see on a larger 16X9 display
He did the restoration for the theatrical re-release in the early 90s and helped on the transfer for the Criterion laserdisc, but he had no involvement with the transfer on the DVD. Most of what he objects to are color timing errors that are perfectly visible no matter what your screen size.
Old 02-26-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is an amazing set. As far as the restoration goes, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary really, but I had nothing to compare it too. In fact, when I heard that Robert Harris had issues with the trasfer I was shocked. At the time it came out on DVD, I had no idea that a 40 year old film could look so fantastic.
You'll be happy with the 2 disc set. It's an incredible film, and the extras are way above average.
Old 02-26-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

COOL! Now I'm really excited to get my LOA: LE DVD. I've seen some screen shots of the Limited Edition DVD from reviews on the net and the resolution and clarity of the picture is amazing for a movie made in 1962. As for the movie itself, I remember it was long and memorable. I'm so excited to get the DVD full of goodies, sit back and rewatch a classic film I haven't seen in ages. I hope CH delivers my fullfillments discs soon!
Old 02-26-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
I've seen some screen shots of the Limited Edition DVD from reviews on the net and the resolution and clarity of the picture is amazing for a movie made in 1962.
You should have seen the recent 70mm theatrical run. Wowsers!
Old 02-26-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
He did the restoration for the theatrical re-release in the early 90s and helped on the transfer for the Criterion laserdisc, but he had no involvement with the transfer on the DVD. Most of what he objects to are color timing errors that are perfectly visible no matter what your screen size.
Yeah, I knew about his main objections being with the color timing but I didn't know that he was not involved in the DVD release... Good to know. Well then, my main objections are that the print shows some damage in a few scenes. They may be the best that can be done with the material on hand but it's certainly no reference quality transfer.

Also, just because it was released in 1962 means nothing really - other than the film stock used issues. Citizen Kane and Singin' in the Rain look miles better than Lawrence and both were released years before LOA. THOSE are reference quality transfers... Of course, it all goes back to the film stock, perhaps this is as good as LOA will ever look... After reading about RH's restoration and seeing the condition of the material that he had to work with I tend to believe that this is the case.

At any rate, it does look nice, the film is outstanding and it's a nice DVD. Highly recommended!

Oh, and Josh, rub it in... 70mm theatrical run... Must have been nice...

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 02-26-03 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Oh, and Josh, rub it in... 70mm theatrical run... Must have been nice...
It was great! Except for my wife's comment at the end that it was too much of a "boy's movie" for her.

Heresy! Divorce!!
Old 03-01-03, 01:07 PM

Realizing that the included features are a lot different, how does the film-quality compare between the L.E. and this 'regular' version:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...334534-4588005
?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Geoff H
Realizing that the included features are a lot different, how does the film-quality compare between the L.E. and this 'regular' version:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...334534-4588005
?

Thanks!
AFAIK, there is none whatsoever.

Last edited by garmonbozia; 03-01-03 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-02-03, 12:39 PM

Heh, sorry... do you mean there is "no difference" or do you mean "no comparison"?
:-)
Old 03-02-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the same transfer, but they've compressed it onto one disc.
Old 03-02-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Geoff H
Heh, sorry... do you mean there is "no difference" or do you mean "no comparison"?
:-)
lol, sorry about that (I guess I meant no difference) but yes, as Josh Z said, it is forced onto one disc in the non-LE instead of spread over 2....so for some there is "no difference". I like special features so think the LE is the way to go. I have not seen the single disc version myself so cannot comment if fitting it onto one disc makes a visible notice in sound/image quality.
Old 03-03-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as cinematography goes this movie ranks up there with the best. There are some beautiful shots of the desert. Also the Soundtrack is a personal favorite of mine. I think its a great movie.
Old 03-04-03, 02:14 PM

Personally I love this movie. I vividly remember seeing it when it first came out on the big screen. Unlike so many "older" movies, to me this one retains its marvelous look and story like few others. Unfortunately wife thought it was just to much sand and camels. Great story, marvelous acting, beautiful images and a 16x9 must see. Cinematography--few equals. Agree--still one of the best ever. It is also true that this is probably a guy type flick but WHAT a guy type flick. Enjoy!
Old 03-06-03, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by garmonbozia
lol, sorry about that (I guess I meant no difference) but yes, as Josh Z said, it is forced onto one disc in the non-LE instead of spread over 2....so for some there is "no difference". I like special features so think the LE is the way to go. I have not seen the single disc version myself so cannot comment if fitting it onto one disc makes a visible notice in sound/image quality.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-03, 11:17 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Just for the record, I borrowed the single disc version from friend and noticed that the bitrate was *much* lower.

Granted, no noticable degradation of picture quality, but the bitrate was about *half* that of the 2-disc set.

Glad I got my 2-disc-er on release day...

-- Jough
Old 03-24-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is off topic, but a David Lean question? LoA is anamorphic, but is Bridge on the River Kwai? I have that 2 disc and plan to get a 16x9 television in the near future, so I was wondering. Thanks
Old 03-25-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jrsl76
This is off topic, but a David Lean question? LoA is anamorphic, but is Bridge on the River Kwai? I have that 2 disc and plan to get a 16x9 television in the near future, so I was wondering. Thanks
Yes, BOTRK is anamorphic.
Old 03-25-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, I'll have to check out BOTRK, I haven't seen it before. If it's as good as LOA I reckon I may buy that one too!
Old 04-02-03, 12:43 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
FWIW, the BOTRK 2-disc Limited Edition's extras are even more compelling, I think, than those of LoA, even though I think Larry the Arab is a better movie.

-- Jough
Old 04-02-03, 09:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
One of my favorite movies and a great disc.

I highly recommend it.
Old 04-05-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie is the perfect example why everybody should own a widescreen tv
Old 04-05-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Hmm, I'll have to check out BOTRK, I haven't seen it before. If it's as good as LOA I reckon I may buy that one too!
Tonight at 8pm et on tcm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.