Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

i have a questions on old, rare games...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Games on snes, or genesis that are rare, and sell for $50 or more because they are rare. I have a few of these, but I was wondering, does the value go up on these type of items, or is it because there is still interest in playing these games, which is why they sell for so much, and so as time goes on, the value might actually decrease. I don't know if i'm expressing what i want to say clearly right now, my head hurts, so hope you get the basic idea. thanks.
Old 02-22-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
you wanna know if you should sell now or risk holding out for the price to go up even higher. That's the nature of selling collectables. Some people are good at it and let stuff go at the right time and some aren't good at it. I know the principles behind it, but I suck at it.
Old 02-22-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am sure the price will go up if you hold onto it for 5+ more years.... Because these cartridges are not being made and every one that's bought up by collectors or destroyed, that's one less on the open market.

And I see more and more people get into video games collecting (there are more stupid things that people collect, heh, by far)
Old 02-23-03, 02:16 AM

Hang on to them, unless you desperately need the money or something. You dont lose anything by holding on to them, but ifyou let them go now, and 5 years later you find out the price quadrupled (that even spelled right?) or something youre gonna kick yourself.
Old 02-23-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the advice guys. Yeah i'll hang on to them, i just wasn't sure if the is a good chance for most games to go down in value. But i guess generally not.
Old 02-23-03, 11:15 AM

as I see it when you have money to spare buy games that you find promising, hold on to them as long as you can, and when you're desperate for money see if they've gone up and sell them.
Old 02-23-03, 11:50 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the prices for rare NES games. That should give you an idea of what similar SNES/Genesis games will go for in 5 years or so. I have no idea what they go for though as I don't have an NES anymore.
Old 02-23-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Note: Castlevania for PS1 is Now OUT of Print even the Greatest Hit Used Copy it Worthess $39.99 & Up... and it very hard to find too ... if u r lucky
Old 02-23-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My take on selling things like this has always been, its only worth what someone is actually willing to pay for it. With that in mind, if I can sell something that I no longer use or need for a price that I deem acceptable, I sell it then. There have been times when I held onto something and it either went down in value or I came up needing some cash, and at that point in time, I did not have a willing buyer to pay what I expected.

I say put them on ebay or some other auction service/internet classified, etc now. Luckily I have access to a company sponsored intranet classified service for free that all workers at my company have access to. I just list things for the price I want and wait for a willing buyer.
Old 02-23-03, 04:36 PM

where is a good place to fne out which titles are worth more than normal?
Old 02-23-03, 05:26 PM
Banned

damn my dad gave away my genesis and 11 games **** i could have got money i thought id only get like 40 bucks.
Old 02-23-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
There's no guarantee that the value will go up on those carts... I mean, there's MAME and eventually it'll be far easier to just have a MAME machine and roms than pay however much for an old dusty cart. Collectables are only worth what collectors are willing to pay. From baseball cards to classic cars...

strike while the iron is hot.
Old 02-23-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Another thing to think about is that if your game gets remade or re-released, you'll lose a lot of money. For example, look at people who held on to Final Fantasy Tactics. They got burnt when it got rereleased.
Old 02-23-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, this is what i was thinking, that games have a chance of going down, once the demand for them goes away, no matter if they are rare or not. Well, i'll just hold onto them, since i don't need money right now, and if they go up, great, if not, thats ok, since i like these games anyway.
Old 02-23-03, 07:26 PM

What games are they? just wondering
Old 02-23-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by sniper308
My take on selling things like this has always been, its only worth what someone is actually willing to pay for it. With that in mind, if I can sell something that I no longer use or need for a price that I deem acceptable, I sell it then. There have been times when I held onto something and it either went down in value or I came up needing some cash, and at that point in time, I did not have a willing buyer to pay what I expected.
I agree with sniper.

Ebay has been a godsend for me for getting rid of things I don't want or use anymore. My take on selling stuff is this: It's not making you any money sitting there in that drawer/closet/box, so why not get some money for it now? Sure, it may go up in value later, and it could go down. But, if you're not using something, or don't want it anymore, get rid of it and get some money for it at the same time.
Old 02-24-03, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

laserdogg, where did you get this list from? Is it your own? because some of those games listed are not worth that much at all. What are you basing it on for the games to be on that list?

and junkie, i have many genesis and some snes games, so i don't really know all of them, but the few i know are worth something:
Shining force I/II, Shining in the Darkness, Phantasy Star IV, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III