Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Please recommend a musical on DVD

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My recent "Notre Dame de Paris" DVD purchase made me purchase a multiregion DVD player so that I could watch some other French musicals, such as " Romeo et Juliette", "Les Dix Commandements", "Ali Baba", "Starmania". Needless to say I loved them all, though "Notre Dame" is beyond any comparison.

Could you recommend me other good musicals/music DVDs worth ordering from abroad? Any pointers to unexpensive retailers are appreciated too.
Old 02-22-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...based on "Wuthering Heights", the musical Heathcliff ain't half bad - if you can find it...

...and then there is the - VERY GOOD!!! - Royal National Theatre production of Oklahoma! starring Hugh Jackman...

...to name just two...

(...have you considered Les Parapluies de Cherbourg and Les Demoiselles de Rochefort and 8 Femmes and On connaît la chanson and Jeanne et le garçon formidable...?...)

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 02-22-03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 04:45 PM

Thank you for your recommendations!

I do have "Les Parapluis de Cherbourg" and "Les Demoiselles de Rochefort" as they are available here in reg.1. Will definitely buy "8 Femmes" and will try to order "On Connait la chanson" from amazon. I guess it is impossible to find "Heathcliff" and "Oklahoma" with Jackman.

Last edited by tori; 02-22-03 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 10:53 PM

My favorite genre. I have tried to compile all the musicals on DVD from all over the world. Foreign film musicals are not in a separate category (I grouped both foreign and English film musicals according to the year released) but the foreign "live stage performances" (eg. "Ali Baba") are under "Stage Musicals (Foreign)". Check this link for more musicals, both English and foreign on DVD:

MUSICALS

I was able to purchase both "Heathcliff" and "Oklahoma" from amazon.co.uk. If you are really interested in those musicals, you can also buy the Oklahoma DVD and Heathcliff video at www.dresscircle.co.uk

I know there is a new French musical on DVD called "Paradisco" starring Jerome Pradon (Napoleon, Les Mis, Martin Guerre, etc.) and Anthony Rapp (Rent). You can buy it at dresscircle or www.footlight.com

If you are interested in the Takarazuka musicals from Japan, you can check out this site: http://shoujo.tripod.com/takara.html The DVDs are very expensive though. I wanted to buy the DVD of their version of "Guys and Dolls" (my favorite musical) but it costs $ 100!

Last edited by tali219; 02-22-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 02:31 AM

Check out the 1958 Shaw Brothers megaproduction KINGDOM AND THE BEAUTY, now available fully remastered by Celestial. Charming song and dance numbers and lavish production design.

Also check out Takashi Miike's HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS for a surreal parody of the musical genre. Claymation + dancing zombies + J-rock + J-pop + karaoke-style number + horny sumo wrestler + beautiful Naomi Nishida = fun for the whole family
Old 02-23-03, 08:28 PM

Thank you all for the heads up!
Cool site, tali! Unfortunately "Heathcliff" is not available at dresscircle.
Would love to check out "Guys & Dolls" but $100 is way too much for a blind buy.
What do you think of "FMA"? Feedback is not so great at amazon, I do not understand German though... I think "live stage performances" is my "cup of tea" (or coffee?)
"Happiness of the Katakuris" will be released on Feb.25th. I guess I'll try to rent it first...if I find it...
Would you recommend any music DVDs? I do love Pink Floyd's "The Wall" but it is not "International DVD talk" already.

Last edited by tori; 02-23-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 09:34 AM

They also released the "NOTRE DAME DE PARIS - LIVE ARENA DI VERONA (2 DVD)" in Italy. Check out:

http://www.dvd.it/index.cgi?page=det...s=Y&arti=24699
Old 02-25-03, 10:46 PM

Great find! And it is widescreen... Did anybody order from them? How reliable are they? Didn't find how much they charge for shipping...Is it the only place I can order online?
Thank you!
Old 02-26-03, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by tali219
If you are interested in the Takarazuka musicals from Japan, you can check out this site
Spent some time browsing the site, if only I could watch at least one Takarazuka musical, sounds so tempting