Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

HH2004 Ps2 out and excellent

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-03, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HH2004 Ps2 out and excellent

Much much improved in all aspects over last year. Depending on WSB, this one could win baseball game of the year. Graphics are better, and gameplay is top shelf.
Old 02-21-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

my ps2 died yesterday so i'll wait awhile before picking this up. i loved last years version so i cant wait to get this one. its a shame though that not even 1 of the baseball games this year will have online play
Old 02-21-03, 06:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

I thought WSB has going XBL?
Old 02-21-03, 09:07 PM

Last I heard WSB had scratched the online plans!!! Their magazine ads seem to prove that with no mention to online at all. There is still hope though as the Microsoft Inside Pitch Baseball is planned to have online play. Title is not due till June so its a ways off.

I for one was pissed to discover WSB was no longer a LIVE title!!!!! So far I am extremely dissapointed in Xbox Live and now the possibility of no online baseball this year pisses me off even more. They better get their act together for me to go beyond the so called "FREE" year.
Old 02-21-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
High Heat has always been the best pure Baseball sim and if its been improved even more I will have to check it out when the GameCube version is released. This is the one game 3DO has done right over the years.
Old 02-22-03, 02:18 AM

Reports of a major HH'04 gameplay bug are spreading like wildfire across the internet... runners from third that cross the plate before the 3rd out is made (usually a high pop-up or fly ball) are sometimes credited as scoring.

It may be the biggest sports game bug in years. And depending on 3DO's response (recall, perhaps?), it may not be hyperbole to say the future of the franchise hangs in the balance.

It sells the least of all the console baseball games every year, but all those who buy it do so for the highest possible level of realism. This reported bug is like a torpedo in HH's broadside, targeting that area of superiority.
Old 02-22-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Reports of a major HH'04 gameplay bug are spreading like wildfire across the internet... runners from third that cross the plate before the 3rd out is made (usually a high pop-up or fly ball) are sometimes credited as scoring.
Games are suppose to be bug tested. A bug this obvious getting into the final version is unbelievable. 3DO has to recall these quickly and fix it.

Very sad. I guess I'm back to All Star Baseball again this year.
Old 02-22-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

It may be the biggest sports game bug in years. And depending on 3DO's response (recall, perhaps?), it may not be hyperbole to say the future of the franchise hangs in the balance.

It sells the least of all the console baseball games every year, but all those who buy it do so for the highest possible level of realism. This reported bug is like a torpedo in HH's broadside, targeting that area of superiority.

Do you have any proof(link) or do you work for Sega? or Acclaim?
Old 02-22-03, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Deadman31
Looks like it's true. It's all over the Operation Sports Message Board.
Old 02-22-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ASB 2004 is gonna have content download but no live play. While head to head would be cool, content download is really the only must for me wrt sports games.
Old 02-22-03, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Deadman31
You found me out. I signed up at this forum three years ago as part of my job as a sleeper agent for Acclaim so that I could do my part to sink 3DO in 2003.
Old 02-22-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You found me out. I signed up at this forum three years ago as part of my job as a sleeper agent for Acclaim so that I could do my part to sink 3DO in 2003.

Unbelievable!!!
Old 02-22-03, 09:21 PM

Bugs were one of the major complaints with the previous PC versions if I remember correctly. All the reviews said the games were great but the bugs brought the value down.
Old 02-22-03, 09:41 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Old 02-22-03, 09:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by sentineles
Bugs were one of the major complaints with the previous PC versions if I remember correctly. All the reviews said the games were great but the bugs brought the value down.
You're a shill for Sega aren't you???!!?
Old 02-24-03, 08:08 PM

Well, here's the latest update on what's supposedly necessary for that bug to occur. Fortunately, it seems to be largely avoidable since it's set in motion by first hitting someone with a pitch.

http://www.highheat2004.net/

Here's the deal on the infamous PS2 HH2004 'Third Out Bug'. It was found after the PS2 version was completed and was fixed on the XBox and PC versions. As you'll see in a moment, it's pretty rare, and might explain why it didn't pop up during PS2 testing.

Now, what causes it? To see the bug, the following must happen:

* There must be a hit-by-pitch. This causes a flag to be improperly set.

* Following the hit-by-pitch, there must NOT be any of the following events: Home Run, Ground Rule Double, Walk, or Certain kinds of foul balls. (ANY of these will properly reset the flag and the bug will not occur unless another HBP occurs. Since many of these events are fairly common, this eliminates the problem in most cases.)

* There must then be a man on 3rd with 2 outs.

* There must then be a fly ball to the outfield that is high enough such that the man can score from third before the ball is caught. This seems to happen on about 50% of the fly balls in the game; also, the man coming home is slowed slightly on the last few steps across home.

If people want to avoid it, they should first and foremost not hit batters intentionally. If they can afford to walk a hitter, doing so should negate the flag. Also they can try turning foul balls up all the way as soon as there's a hit by pitch until a foul gets hit into the stands, which definitely clears the flag.

Again, let it be noted this bug has been fixed in versions other than the PS2.
Old 02-24-03, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Well I'm sure that won't make PS2 Fans Happy but good news for the Xbox Version.
Old 02-25-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it just me or does this not seem like a big deal?
Old 02-25-03, 08:15 AM

So the bug's not in the X-Box version?
Old 02-25-03, 03:02 PM

After checking that "Operatin sports" website, I checked their preview of ASB 2004 and it clearly states "online play":
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acclaim Entertainment and Austin Studios create a home run with All-Star Baseball 2004, the next installment to the #1 baseball franchise. The product will launch on PS2, GC, Xbox and GBA February '03 and on PC May '03.
Featuring four-time World Series Champion Derek Jeter, ASB 2004 promises to deliver more than 80 features and improvements including:

For the first time ever, go online and compete against other players;
Includes 110 retired Legends of MLB and Negro Leagues - including Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Cal Ripken, Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson and Buck O'Neill;
Scenario mode where Derek Jeter introduces actual scenarios from last year's games and enables gamers to assume the role of manager and decide how they would call it -- the ultimate "What if" mode;
Pick-up game mode that enables you to choose up sides with your favorite players and play in any MLB stadium;
Panoramic Stadium Tour where Jeter highlights all the interesting facts and features of each stadium;
Multimedia Section featuring live game footage of Jeter and other Major League stars;
All-new Rookie Mode where Jeter serves as a guide and instructor in the tutorial;
Practice Mode through which Jeter makes players familiar with the controls, game play, and specific situations;
More than 80 new features and improvements, including:
Complete front-end overhaul;
In-game save capability;
Improved fielding, base running & batting AI;
Downloadable rosters;
Over 50 playable teams, 75 stadiums, 200 uniforms and 20 unlockable teams;
English & Spanish play-by-play;
Old 02-25-03, 03:26 PM

Check the date on that preview!! (you didnt provide a link) That preview is probably a year old. About a month ago the online play was cancelled!! This was widely reported on gaming web sites such as IGN and Gamespot. If you go to the game's offical site http://www.allstarbaseball04.com you will see it is not a feature. Only downloadabe content.
Old 02-25-03, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by jdpatri
Is it just me or does this not seem like a big deal?
It's not a big deal that a sports game was not following the rules of the sport in such a way as to put the offense on the scoreboard after the defense had done everything right? There may NEVER have been a bug in a sports game that did this before, especially from one which is generally regarded as the genre leader for realism.

Or, it's not a big deal, given the precise series of events that have to take place? I guess that would be the take, as it turns out, for non-baseball fanatics.

But over the weekend, it was a big deal. And the relief shown by those who planned to get it on a different platform illustrates it, too.

Based on all the impressions at other forums, though, there's still some less crucial, yet still very irritating bugs in the PS2 version that could stand some squashing... two strikes sometimes ringing up for one pitch; a catcher's pickoff attempt forcing the outcome of a pitch not to be recorded; etc.

If the baseball games would just come out at the start of the real season like they're supposed to, perhaps these things wouldn't happen. Do we really need baseball games to arrive in mid-February? No other sport starts showing up six weeks early.
Old 02-25-03, 05:27 PM

chill my man, ain't no thang but a chicken wing...

the review has a date of 2/19/03. so it's fairly recent, but don't kill the messenger..

linky:
http://www.operationsports.com/Revie...ame=asb2004ps2
Old 02-25-03, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
You're a shill for Sega aren't you???!!?
I love the Sega Sports games but almost bought HH 2003 for PC last year b/c there was a good price and I wanted a quality baseball game. I did not after reading the review published in CGW which said something to the extent that it was buggy. If I remember correctly, they said the game was average with the bugs and amazing without. Personally, I'm not a big fan of baseball games but I had heard nothing but good things about the patched versions of the High Heat series. Thus, I wanted to try it out. Hopefully, the console versions are good enough to keep this series alive until the bugs are fixed.