Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clive Cussler's Sahara

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clive Cussler's Sahara

Old 02-21-03, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clive Cussler's Sahara

Well from what I've read, it appears that Clive Cussler is letting his guard down and allowing Crusader Entertainment to make his novels into movies. Does anybody have any idea what kind of work Crusader Entertainment does? I'm a avid fan of the Dirk Pitt novels and I don't want to see them like, "Hallmark Hall of Fame Presents: Sahara!" The novels are gritty, sometimes violent and sexy. I don't want Sarah Plain and Tall to play Dirks love interest! They seem like they might be a religious type of company who want their films to be "appealing to the whole family and leaves a wholesome message".

While we're on the topic of Dirk Pitt, since Sahara is being made into a movie, for those that are fans of the book, who do you think should play the roles? I've already heard that William H. Macy is set to play Sandecker (not my choice).
Old 02-24-03, 12:38 PM

I posted about this some time ago... unfortunately, Crusader was so far only involved in making religious films (a la "Left Behind"), so I don't know if they'll be able to produce real quality...

Macy playing Sandecker? John Rhys-davies would've been a much better choice (physical stature, booming voice and all) Hmmm... Just don't get Colin Ferrell to play Pitt...
Old 02-24-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He is retiring, I guess he needs to make money somehow...
Old 02-24-03, 11:05 PM

Last I heard the director had backed out and the project was permanently stalled, but that was a few months ago.
Most of Cussler's stuff would make entertaining movies, but, then again, "Raise the Titanic!" was such a bad movie.
Old 02-25-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Playitagainsam

Macy playing Sandecker? John Rhys-davies would've been a much better choice (physical stature, booming voice and all) Hmmm... Just don't get Colin Ferrell to play Pitt...
Why not, he's the one that I'd choose to play Pitt... it just seems like it'd be a perfect part for him
Old 02-25-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Cussler's books, but I have a bad feeling this will movie will be a wasted effort.
Old 02-25-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i heard hugh jackman was rumored as well.

they better cast this right. what about for his sidekick Al? small burrly dude.
Old 02-25-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
I've read a few of Cussler's books. I have a hard time imagining any actor stepping into any of the roles in the books. I'll just be cautiously optimistic since I've enjoyed the books I've read.
Old 04-16-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Looks like Matthew McConaughey is being tapped to play the great fiction adventurer Dirk Pitt in "Sahara". The studio is in negotiations w/ the star to take the role.

I think it is a pretty good choice. I can actually envision him playing the role. This might be a change of pace for him. Hey - at least it won't be another lame chick-flick.

here's the linky:
http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/apr03/75.html
Old 04-16-03, 01:12 PM
Banned

Is Cussler a big Christian or something? Or does he just hate H'wood w/ a passion? Why, after all these years of refusing to do adaptations, would he sell out to a Christion film company who is practiclly guaranteed to do a crummy job? These need to be $100 million dollar films.
Old 04-16-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
I always imagined Dirk Pitt to be a bit older and a bit more muscular than McConaughey. I guess McConaughey was pretty buff in Reign of Fire, though.
Old 04-16-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Is Cussler a big Christian or something? Or does he just hate H'wood w/ a passion? Why, after all these years of refusing to do adaptations, would he sell out to a Christion film company who is practiclly guaranteed to do a crummy job? These need to be $100 million dollar films.
I think he got soured on "Raise the Titanic" over 20 years ago and how crappy that turned out to be. You'd think though he'd learn his leason, but we'll just have to see how Crusader does with this one.... (I'm not holding my breath on it)
Old 04-16-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Is the book any good? I've only read Atlantis Found, and Vahalla Raising, and while there was interesting ideas, I wasn't at all impressed with his writing style (too many plot holes). I happen to have Sahara, though, but shelved it after the first two.
Old 04-16-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've only read Sahara, and Treasure. I feel that they're incredibly fast paced, but usually I feel empty after reading them. I mean I know they're action books, but the plot holes and the pure insanity of everything that happens to Pitt just seems too crazy. I mean in Treasure when
Spoiler:
Pitt just happened to be at his parent's ski chalet, the one they had told him not to go to, at the exact moment that the bad guys were getting there was just stupid!
Yea, wayyyyy too many plot holes.