DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DS9 set

Old 02-21-03, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DS9 set

Haven't watched the discs yet (they came yesterday) but the packaging is outstanding -- the trimmest 6-disc collection I've ever seen, in a smart black plastic cover.

It'll be easy to fit 7 of these on a shelf.
Old 02-21-03, 09:57 AM
Banned

DS9's early seasons are quite lame, even though I consider myself a longtime star trek fan.

I can never picture even a trekkie picking up all 7 seasons of this series.

Is there some shill factor involved in whoever started this thread, or am I being hypersensitive?
Old 02-21-03, 11:23 AM

No shill factor; I just enjoy the show. I get no benefit out of how many are sold.

Man people think its the best since the original.
Old 02-21-03, 10:24 PM

I REALLY don't like the new packaging. Thinner? Yes. Crummier? Yes. The plastic trays detach from the backing too easily, and one of them ALREADY got cracked. (I treat my DVDs gently, so this kind of thing doesn't happen often to me.) The new packaging just seems cheap and flimsy to me.

http://www.dvdmg.com/deepspacenineseason1.shtml
Old 02-23-03, 09:56 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by DVD DVD DVD
DS9's early seasons are quite lame, even though I consider myself a longtime star trek fan.
I think the pilot for this series was some of the best Star Trek ever. That said, I felt that the show concept was derivative of Babylon 5, and as such could not compare with the broad story arc and deep characters of the latter. Nor did it have the constant novelty of exploring the edge of known space which made the episodic stories work in the first two series.

Deep Space 9 certainly matured in the later seasons and came into its own, but it was almost a relief when Voyager came along and we once again got to explore space untethered.
Old 02-26-03, 05:10 PM

To me the first couple of years of TNG were lamer than DS9. I mean there was no annoying character like WESLEY in Ds9.
Old 02-26-03, 07:51 PM

Gul Dukat= Greatest Trek villain ever!!!

And Nina Major has a nice backside.
My favorite DS9 episode was about the search for a serial killer on the station........who turned out to be a Vulcan. Great stuff
Old 02-26-03, 07:56 PM

Sorry, I meant Nana Visitor's backside.
Old 02-27-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts

I can never picture even a trekkie picking up all 7 seasons of this series.

Is there some shill factor involved in whoever started this thread, or am I being hypersensitive?
I liked DS9 much better than any of the other Treks (okay, I've only seen one episode of Enterprise, but it was so lame, I never tried it again.) I'm probably getting all 7 seasons--unlike TNG, DS9 isn't on TV every hour of the day for free. It's not B5 or Farscape, but it's still got broader story arcs and more interesting characters than the other treks, imo.

I liked the packaging, but haven't actually watched any yet, so I'll be careful since it's apparantly fragile. I wish more companies would adopt the kind of packaging used for Buffy and Angel's UK releases (a book lined pockets--no floaters, no spindles to get stuck on or break). It's sturdier and thinner than any US 6 disc packaging I've seen.

tasha

Last edited by tasha99; 02-27-03 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-03-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DS9 was a great show, I haven't seen it in several years, so I don't remeber much about the eariler shows, but the last half of series was damn good.
Old 03-04-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the first season of DS9 beats the first season of any other Trek series by a longshot. It's great stuff, and it only gets better with each subsequent year.
Old 03-04-03, 03:36 PM

Still the best Trek show after the original series, for my money. I'm very happy with the way the DVDs look and sound.

As first seasons go, this is also the best since TOS. I hated hated hated Voyager, so DS9 is the end of the Trek line for me.

Sam
Old 03-06-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Seasons 1 & 2 were pretty awful but, Seasons 3 thru 7 were excellent. Needless to say i will start buying this @ season 3. The cases truly suck though. Wish there was another way to store them.
Old 03-06-03, 09:02 PM

I enjoyed the first season, but I wish Garak was in more than one episode. He is my favorite Trek character.
Old 03-07-03, 09:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I see DS9 as I would Babylon 5, the first (or first few, in DS9's case) seasons are the set-up, with the payoff coming in later seasons (albeit Babylon 5's storylines seem more interwoven). Can't wait for seasons 6 & 7 to come out towards the end of the year

Also, I think I preferred the "Sisko with beard" seasons rather than the ones without

Old 03-14-03, 01:05 PM
SvenL

Originally posted by zParticle
That said, I felt that the show concept was derivative of Babylon 5, and as such could not compare with the broad story arc and deep characters of the latter.
I just love to see people use this argument against DS9.
Especially if you consider that DS9 started ONE YEAR EARLIER than B5 did.
B5 was one of the most unoriginal piece of drivel that ever made it's way into television.
The (very) few ideas that weren't stolen from Lord of the Rings or Star Trek were stolen from other SciFi novels/movies.
There wasn't a single original idea in 5 seasons and even if there had been even a single one - the terrible, terrible acting and the (not really) special effects would have killed it immediatly.
Old 03-14-03, 04:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

SvenL - I like both B5 and DS9, but you can notice in later seasons of DS9 the "Babylon-ifiction" with the large scale space battles and tighter story arcs (well, tigher as compared to earlier seasons of DS9). I remember the difference being quite noticeable when it was on TV still.

That said, I loved DS9 seasons 6 & 7, and Babylon 5's seasons 3 & 4. Being a fan doesn't necessarily mean one or the other

As for which came out first...didn't B5's The Gathering" come out in 1993 like the first season of DS9?
Old 03-14-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Actually, I believe that JMS, the creator of Babylon 5, pitched the series to Paramount some time before DS9 came into existence.

And therein lies the controversy. There were quite a few similarities between B5 and DS9, including at least one that was pitched to Paramount by JMS that wasn't included in the B5 series that finally aired: In JMS' original "plan," the Minbari were supposed to be shape shifters.

So even though DS9 aired before B5, the issue of who might've ripped off who isn't as clear-cut as it might appear.
Old 03-23-03, 09:20 PM

Come on! The best Trek episode ever: The DS9 Tribble episode.

=)
Old 03-28-03, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im a big fan of both, and there are small similarities(space station) but it pretty much ends there

capt
Old 04-07-03, 12:00 PM

Heh heh... talking about similarities between DS9 and Babylon 5... a while back I compiled a long list of them... here there are: http://home.att.net/~droboogie1/farbeyond.html (halfway down).

The list is just for fun. I, for one, am happy to be able to see both shows, and just as happy that they are both coming to DVD now.