Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Er 2/20

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Er 2/20

Has the Abby's family storyline finally killed all interest in the show?

Pratt killed me w/ that line to the cop.
Old 02-20-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Abby period did it for me.

This was a so-so ep.

When Chen said she was going to the diner, I thought she was either dead or seriously injured since, according to the preview, it was supposed to "hit close to home" for the ER. They must've been talking about geographic location or something...

That whole scene between Carter/Abby in the restaurant put me to sleep. I know he didn't give her the ring, but what was it that made him decide not to..? I promise i'll stay awake for your answer.
Old 02-21-03, 12:21 AM

Re: Er 2/20

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Has the Abby's family storyline finally killed all interest in the show?

yup
Old 02-21-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I did kind of like the swan scene.
Old 02-21-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, yet another week of crap. That's like 6 straight episodes that were complete snores.

I think its time to kill off abby, before she kills the show. She brings down the carter character, and her family, ugh.

Kill Luca too while you're at it.

The ONLY watchable part about this episode was Patrick Fugate, the kid from Almost famous. Unfortunatly Dr. Lewis sleeps through all her scenes, so it came at a price. The whole show just feels lifeless, and completely devoid of energy this year.
Old 02-21-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 questions:

1. What did Abby say to Carter to make him back off?
2. What was the significance of the swans?
Old 02-21-03, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
That whole scene between Carter/Abby in the restaurant put me to sleep. I know he didn't give her the ring, but what was it that made him decide not to..? I promise i'll stay awake for your answer.
He really wants her to change (stop drinking, etc.); she said she doesn't think people can change. Thus, he had second thoughts about spending his whole life with her.
2. What was the significance of the swans?
The boy told about a Japanese girl who was dying but she thought if she could make a 1000 oragami cranes (not swans) her wish to stay alive would come true. This also explains why the episode was called "1000 Cranes"...

Last edited by Tscott; 02-21-03 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boy, Maggie knows JUST what to say...

John Carter is a doofus.
Old 02-21-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Pratt is the only one who's bringing some energy to the show, Susan still had some pretty small lines, but I did find the scenes with the cancer kid to be extremely depressing.

Yes, I think Abby and her family is what's killing the show. Luka just at a gridlock. I THOUGHT Abby had 'accepted' Carter's proposal last week? I was hoping they'd just MOVE on.
Old 02-21-03, 02:22 AM

What did Abby say to Carter to make him back off?

Think more of it was caused when Carter & Abby's
mom were sitting in traffic. And she was saying
you can not change her or whatever.

This series is looking very tired at the moment.
Old 02-21-03, 02:30 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
WooHoo, now we're going to have to spend the rest of the season with Carter/Abby tension.

The only thing interesting aboult the Gallant/Pratt story was if you told me they were doing this I would have expected Pratt to be the Dr who refused to work on him and being talked into it by Gallant.

The writers have no clue on what to do with Luca and Weaver. It looks like they're just putting Weaver back into full bitch mode.

How much do you think Alex Kingston hates Anthony Edwards? Now that's he's gone Elizabeth gets a cameo appearance every other ep.

The only thing that kept my atention was the story with Susan. Probably because she's the only character I can stand and also because it didn't involve Abby's family.
Old 02-21-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by Tscott
The boy told about a Japanese girl who was dying but she thought if she could make a 1000 oragami cranes (not swans) her wish to stay alive would come true. This also explains why the episode was called "1000 Cranes"...

ahhh crap I can't believe I made that mistake. okay it wasn't that big of a mistake. Cranes not swans. got it.

Yeah it seems like the writers kind of painted themselves into a corner as there are hardly any more sane Doctors working in the ER.
Old 02-21-03, 06:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey, I'm a fourth grade teacher, and the "1000 Cranes" story is about a Japanese girl who died of leukemia as a result of the Hirosima bomb. There's a monument to her and everything. The story is part of our literature curriculum.
Old 02-21-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love this show, however, this season has been horrible. And you guys are 100% right, the whole Abby family storyline has become REALLY old and I can't stand that woman anyway.

And btw, how old is Abby suppose to be? SHe looks so old, like late 40s. Or is it just me?
Old 02-21-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Abby's in her mid-30's (I'm guessing). She's got some hard miles on her odometer, though.

I feel asleep during this episode, and later woke up and watched the rest of it on my ReplayTV.

Maggie's talk with Carter put a lot of doubts in his head about Abby, and then when Abby unwittingly unloaded the "people don't change" wrecking ball on him, he quickly changed his mind and put the ring back into his pocket and just treated it like any other dinner. We'll get some more "final" resolution on their relationship, I suspect, during sweeps in May.

I think the Susan/Cancer kid story was tender and sweet, but it lacked any energy or spark.

The indignation of Gallant over his and Pratt's profiled arrest seemed to come a little too far out of left field (especially when you have Pratt being the voice from the hood and just rolling with the punches).

I thought it was amazing that Luka was able to summarize his character arc in under 50 words. Bravo.
Old 02-21-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People, people, you're missing the important part here.

Maura Tierney is hot.

Thank you, and goodnight.
Old 02-21-03, 07:53 AM

I think this show has 1 more season, cause that's when most of the contracts expire is next year anyway. Hopefully they'll be able to end it without too much cliche, and hopefully get back some of the people who have left over the years (at least the ones who haven't died).

I think I watched about 50% of the episode, and watched in 2x speed the other 50%.
Old 02-21-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's weird how Pratt and Gallant are like the new updated version of Goofus and Gallant from those Highlights magazines. They're all buddy buddy now and complete opposites. Although I do like it that they're interacting especially since it lets us see more of Pratt's character. Just an observation.

so-so episode. Yes, Maura Tierney is hot.
Old 02-21-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maura shows her age when you watch this show in HDTV (which is pretty unforgiving), but she's still nice to look at.
Old 02-21-03, 02:31 PM

Maura WAS hot.

Thanks ClarkKent , for pointing out where I knew the cancer kid originally from - Almost Famous. That was the ONLY thing that kept me awake last nite - trying to figure it out.
Old 02-21-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH

Maura Tierney is hot.

Well said.

Keep in mind, folks: her character is working in an Emergency Room. Not a coindusive atmosphere to getting all dolled up. She looks like a million bucks at dinner w/ John Carter, The Warlord of Mars.

(I was about half-expecting him to give her the box, her to open it, and it to be empty because Maggie had pocketed the rock and jetted to Buenos Aires.)
Old 02-22-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH

Maura Tierney is hot.

Yes, she is...and her character is a Pixies fan, too - which makes her even better, imo.

I like Abbie as a character, but the family subplot is so played out, it is getting tiring...just kill off Maggie (Sally Field) for crying out loud. I like her sub-plot w/ Carter, and that dinner scene tonight just pissed me. Carter is an idiot, doesn't he know that women always mean the opposite of what they say?! She didn't mean it, she was just saying that to get a reaction out him.

Pratt kicked ass tonight - it was weird seeing him telling Gallant that it was their job to work on the cop who gave Pratt the foot earlier. That was one of the best scenes in awhile - w/ Pratt, Gallant and the cop. Truly a classic television moment.

Lewis's scenes w/ the cancer-ridden patient are a yawn. I liked Luka's summation to the pshrink - short and sweet.
Old 02-23-03, 12:15 AM

This was an okay episode but when they said they caught the actual killers I was waiting for someone to say that they were actually white not black. That would have really changed the relationship between Pratt and Chen.