Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gaming on a big HDTV?

Old 02-20-03, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaming on a big HDTV?

Hey all,

I've been thinking about getting an HDTV lately. One of the main reasons would be for gaming; with the advent of some HD-enabled gaming, it seems silly not to take advantage of it. Couple of questions:

1. I have all of the consoles. My understanding is that Xbox and (to a lesser extent) GC benefit from the component connection, but that the PS2 is better off with an S-Video connection, since the component hookup shows more of the graphical flaws of the PS2. Is this correct?

2. I don't know a lot about the different HD modes (480i, 480p, 540p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p). What should I look for in a TV? I was thinking about the Toshiba 42H82, or possibly the Panasonic 47" that is similar (can't remember the model #, costs about $1600). Are there other sets I may want to consider, or things to know about these with regard to video games (such as, I've heard that the Tosh doesn't do 720p, which the Xbox supports. True?)?

3. Are there any general considerations about gaming on HDTV? Is it really worth it? Any tradeoffs with my current 27" Trinitron? Any reasons not to take the plunge?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-03, 06:47 PM

The modes are like the different ways how good the reception will be. Like Hd shows are 1080 I am pretty sure the tosh does do 720P because thats what it will be if you hook a progressive scan dvd to your t v. I have the panasonic 53inch and its nice to play on a huge tv, but being rptv if you play for hours it can burn in, and the quality is kinda bad because i dont have anyone of the component hookup, just the normal.
Old 02-20-03, 09:02 PM

Progressive scan DVD players display 480p not 720p. 720p is HD.
Old 02-21-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should look for a TV that can do 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Those are the 3 resolutions you want. 480p means 480 horizontal lines of resolution displayed in progressive mode. 1080i means 1080 horizontal lines of resolution displayed in interlaced mode. Progressive is better than interlaced.

Progressive scan DVD players display video in 480p. But 480p is not HD. 720p and 1080i are HD. The PS2 and Gamecube can do 480p with certain games, but you must be using component video connections to take advantage of 480p video. Otherwise you get 480i - which is ok but of course not as good as 480p. So if you can, you should hook up all 3 video game systems with component video connections.

Only the Xbox can do HD - 720p and 1080i. Right now there are only a few games than can do 720p, and only one game that does 1080i, but there will be more in the future that take advantage of both. But right now it looks like 720p will be more used than 1080i on Xbox games. The much-anticipated Soul Calibur 2 will be in 720p.

I was in the same boat as you - I knew almost nothing about TV's and the terminologies involved with HD. But after spending a good amount of time reading about it on the web, I have a pretty decent understanding. The dvdtalk forum is great for DVD's and video games (actually the best forum I've encountered for gaming), but for home theater and HD tech, I recommend heading to www.avsforum.com.

I also recently bought a new TV that is used 95% for gaming. I don't even subscribe to cable, and watch 1 or 2 DVD's a month. I settled on the Sony 34XBR800, which I think is a fantastic TV for gaming. IMO Tube TV's have the best picture for gaming compared to other TV display technologies.

One more thing - if the primary purpose for your TV is gaming, there is no question that you should get a 16:9 widescreen TV. You'll be able to see more of your game at once with a wider field of view.
Old 02-21-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the price of a large tube or a really big rear-projection I would take a small hit on size and get a DLP set. They look waaaay better than rear-projection sets and take up a lot less room than tube TV's. You can get them at a lot of places now. Samsung and Panny make some good ones. Check dlp.com for details on the technology. Also go to Tweeter or The Home-theater store to see the sets you like side by side or you wont be able to get a good idea of how they compare.
Old 02-21-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Gaming on a big HDTV?

Originally posted by Lint21
3. Are there any general considerations about gaming on HDTV? Is it really worth it? Any tradeoffs with my current 27" Trinitron? Any reasons not to take the plunge?

Thanks!
I also agree that you will get the best picture for gaming from a HD "tube" TV vs. a RPTV (rear projection). The biggest they get to at this time is 38" widescreen (but I hope I'm wrong and there's bigger) and 40" standard (4:3).
The only consideration you need to keep in mind when playing videogames on a HDTV has already been mentioned...you will need component cables to take advantage of the higher resolutions (720p and 1080i) of which there are currently only a select few games programmed to take advantage of these resolutions.
I have seen Dragon's Lair 3D on XBOX hooked-up to a HDTV and those 1080 lines make a difference!

The tradeoff you'll experience is your newer TV may take more floor space (dependent on what size you purchase) and your wallet will get thinner.
Old 02-21-03, 03:39 PM

Excellent information! Thanks to all who replied, this is very helpful in my search. I think DLP is out of my price range, but I may look into tubes.... maybe. I like the idea of a huge Mario running around, or a bigass Master Chief
Old 02-22-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We bought a 47" Panny RPHDTV last month. Games look good on it, and the sensation of speed is great, but I'm scared to play on it for more that an hour at a time. I'm afraid of burn-in. So, if you're going to use this for primarily gaming, go with a tube and rest easy.