Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just played some of the new MechAssault Content

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 01:24 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just played some of the new MechAssault Content

When logging on to live they had a "mandatory update" then i had to go in again and separately download the content.

The new Mechs are nice but not noticably the "fastest mechs around". Im a little disappointed because I had heard they were going to fix the "Homing PPC cannons". I thought they werent meant to 'home in' on targets. The PPC is the cheesiest weapon in the game to help people without much skill. Its practically impossible to dodge 3rd level PPCs
Old 02-20-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did the mandatory update fix?

How long did the DL take?
Old 02-20-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh.. I can't wait until I get my Live kit..
Old 02-20-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Liver&Onions
What did the mandatory update fix?

How long did the DL take?
Please let it be the lobby...

Jeremy
Old 02-20-03, 01:38 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I dont know what the mandatory update did but it did it froze everything for 3 minutes or so to download it

I have DSL and it took almost 10 minutes for each map 1700 blocks and 2200 blocks and 3 minutes for each mech about 500 blocks ea
Old 02-20-03, 01:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I THOUGHT the mandatory fix was to fix things that people had been complaining about such as the PPC's, but i tested it and it seems not the case

I was on my lunch break so i didnt play a game on live just on multiplayer local to test the PPCs
Old 02-20-03, 02:58 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was the CTF mode part of the DL content?
Old 02-20-03, 03:04 PM
dgc

Originally posted by dgc
Was the CTF mode part of the DL content?
Nevermind:

"February 19, 2003 - Remember January 1st? After you shook off your hangover you hopped on Xbox Live searching for the promised new downloadable content only to find nothing at all. Well, dry your eyes kiddo. After a month and a half of delays, MechAssault downloadable content will be available Thursday, February 20.

Originally, the content was to be spaced out over several weeks. But now it appears the two new mechs (Raven and Corvus) and the two new multiplayer maps (Hell's Kitchen and Stone Cold) will all be available for download and use Thursday.

No word yet on when the new multiplayer game Capture the Flag will be released.

We'll have more on MechAssault's downloadable content soon." - IGN
Old 02-20-03, 03:50 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

yea it was just those 4 things. 2 maps 2 mechs
Old 02-20-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The map updates took a few minutes each but the Mechs took no time at all. And the mandatory update download in a heartbeat.

Haven't played them yet but I'm going to before I go to bed for the night.
Old 02-20-03, 08:27 PM

I decided that I would play Grinder with the new Mechs on the Hell's Kitchen and Stone Cold maps before I went LIVE.

I don't really like the Raven or the Corvus as they seem really weak, but the new maps especially Hell's Kitchen are superb. I noticed that the pics of HK floating around the Web were kinda dark like the Junkyard map, but when I played it, it seems they lightened it up quite alot like the Colloseum map.

I think I'll play LIVE tomorrow after my YMIR gets used to the new surroundings of the new maps.

P.S. Oh and watch out for those "Stew Pots" in the HK map. They'll hurt ya alot if your beside one when it falls apart kinda like a building in River City.
Old 02-20-03, 08:51 PM

from all appearances, the mandatory update was simply a file checker for downloaded content for game matching...looking for what you have/don't have...still no lobby
Old 02-20-03, 10:43 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Just played some of the new MechAssault Content

Originally posted by Save Ferris
Im a little disappointed because I had heard they were going to fix the "Homing PPC cannons". I thought they werent meant to 'home in' on targets. The PPC is the cheesiest weapon in the game to help people without much skill. Its practically impossible to dodge 3rd level PPCs
Oh, man, that would be great. Heck, it's practically impossible to dodge 1st level PPCs. They track you behind buildings, they track you if you jump jet, it's ridiculous. The most powerful weapon in the game, as far as I understand, and they make it homing. It doesn't feel like they home that much in single-player.

I bet you'd see a decrease in the number of Mad Cats on servers if these homed less. I like using the Belial, but I just get hosed vs. Mad Cats & Atlases in open field battles like River City ends up being after three minutes. I can't find a disadvantage to using a Mad Cat on a map like that.... heavy armor and PPCs that will kill other bots dead from long-range. Although I did have one particularly satisfying run with my Belial in which I hopped in a river bed and smoked about three Atlases and Mad Cats each by getting up reaaaaally close to them, literally running circles around them, and shooting them.
Old 02-20-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It took me three or four trys to get all of the content downloaded. It would get about half way though and then give me an error. I kept on retrying and eventually everything was done. I like Hell's Kitchen alot. Plenty of sniping points when using the smaller mechs. Stone Cold is a nice open field map best suited for the larger mechs. I prefer the Raven over the Corvus. The longer lasting cloaking is very nice. Plus three different weapons. A very good mix.
Old 02-21-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had some problems downloading last night too so I'll try again tonight.

I haven't played MechAssault since I finished the single player campaign. I'll probably give the new mechs and maps a try onine, but CTF is what I'm really waiting for.

Even though MechAssault online doesn't do much for me, I was giggling like a school girl when I saw that there was some downloadable content available.
Old 02-21-03, 09:02 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

just keep us happy and keep it coming Microsoft!
Old 02-21-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I won't be playing Mech Assault after all. I downloaded the two mechs, but I can't get 1/4 of a map to download. After about 8 attempts, I gave up.
Old 02-21-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gromit
Maybe I won't be playing Mech Assault after all. I downloaded the two mechs, but I can't get 1/4 of a map to download. After about 8 attempts, I gave up.
Try again later. It took me quite awhile to get it to work.
Old 02-21-03, 05:42 PM
dgc

I had no problems downloading all the new content last night.
Old 02-21-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Man, the raven is a LOT of fun to play. We were playing 2 on 2 on 2 on 2, but I ended up being by myself. Managed to take out a Ymir twice on my own just by circle strafing. Should have gotten credit for a couple other Ymirs as well, but stupid sniper kept stealing my kills.

Question -- how do I transfer data to my memory card? I'd like to take my game over to my friend's house tomorrow. He doesn't have LIVE -- yet. Is there any way for me to transfer the new mechs and/or maps to the memory card?

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 02-22-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The memory cards are only 500 blocks so you are SOL on thaking the maps but I guess you can try taking a Mech over. I'd say just take your XBOX with you. It's the only way to take it all with you.
Old 02-22-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by MasterofDVD
The memory cards are only 500 blocks so you are SOL on thaking the maps but I guess you can try taking a Mech over. I'd say just take your XBOX with you. It's the only way to take it all with you.
Ok, but how do I actually transfer the data to the memory card? I backed up my LIVE info on the card, but I can't remember now how I did that. Don't think it was related to game saves though.

Tuan Jim