Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm sick of the Axe House Party ad on IGN!!!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this isn't strictly videogame related but I have had it with that damn ad on IGN advertising the Axe house party with the horse, beauty queen, and video camera. I get it already! We're not all into Zoo sex you pervs! And it would be nice if you could navigate their f*%$-ing site without having to click through that damed ad every 2 seconds!!!!

Fine I understand the need for advertising on web sites. I even click on them sometimes. Sure the x10 "hidden camera" has lured me in a few times thinking I could spy on my neighbors doing the dirty, but for goodness sakes don't shove crap like this down our throats. So do they think all videogame players are "action" deprived pervs who think a horse humping a woman on camera is cool?

Sorry for the rant but it's really been pissing me off lately and it's the first ad on the internet that has been "overplayed" in my opinion and has insulted me and I'm sure some other people too. Fine, show a scantily clad girl or allude to sex or whatever to make me but deoderant, but NOTHING about this ad makes me want to run out and buy axe. It's not even funny. If you're perverted, at least be a little funny, but no. Maybe if I was a hormone-laced 13-year-old again I would "get it". Guess I'm not in the target demographic anymore.

I feel a bit better now.

Last edited by The Franchise; 02-19-03 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This belongs in the feedback forum... and not even DVDTalk's feedback forum. :/
Old 02-20-03, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its as easy as never going to IGN.com.

I quit going there because thier DVD coverage went from being good to downright useless.

I also hate "interactive" ads that pop up when i am trying to read crap.

There are better places on the net to get your info without being bombarded with annoying javascript/flash/whatever ads 50,000 times a minute.
Old 02-20-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UAIOE
Its as easy as never going to IGN.com.

There are better places on the net to get your info without being bombarded with annoying javascript/flash/whatever ads 50,000 times a minute.
True, true.

Much better FREE gameing websites out there. With almost no ads....
Old 02-20-03, 11:10 AM
RVP

IGN seems to have gone downhill fast. I can't imagine paying for that site. They were always complaining that they were not making any money, but with all the adds they have, geez. They also seemed not to be very impartial lately. Have you ever read the mailbox section? All they seem to do is hammer the people who write in.

i don't understand the point of the ad. What are they advertising? A house party? The deodorant? Deviant sex? What is the point odf this add?

Last edited by RVP; 02-20-03 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IGN has officially dropped off my Bookmarks.

FullPage Shockwave Ads Between Every Page, 3 on every page, rich media ads, pop ups. They only update their news 4 days a week now, if that. They were always whores for hype anyway. If you're going to rate all the games between 8.7 and 9.9, why have a 10 point rating scale.

Gamespot is my main source now.
Old 02-20-03, 01:57 PM

To stop pop up ads don't use Internet Explorer, use Mozilla . It has built in popup blockers. Go to preferences, scripts & plugins and uncheck the option "open unrequested windows".

Not sure about the click through's, is there a way around them? I know you can block flash advertisements with an external program popup killer, but what about the click throughs? If you pay do you still have all the ads and click throughs?
Old 02-20-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad others feel the same way. I don't mind most of their ads, just the ones that come up everytime you click on a link or hit "back". This one in particular lit my fire because of what it was insinuating. I also agree that the IGN staff is a bit full of themselves. They never answer the mailbag with useful questions (although IGNPSQ is pretty good) and they tend to hype games that are advertised on their site which seems a bit dubious to me.
Old 02-21-03, 12:53 PM

Old 02-22-03, 12:21 PM

well, Tal posted yesterday on the boards that they're making ign like ad free, but only if you have insider.
Old 02-22-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm really curious as to how its beneficial to get insider.

Get Insider- No Ads

Avoid website - No ads, and save $$
Old 02-23-03, 01:27 PM

DAMNIT! It's infected Comingsoon.net, another site i visit daily. (but might have to drop)

Advertising must not work on me. I notice it, but it just makes me hate the product.
Old 02-23-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What good videogame websites are there; www.videogames.com and...
Old 02-23-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My brothers and I got Insider, ended being only $5 per person