Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Run Ronnie Run

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Ronnie Run

The Mr. Show movie that is finished and probably won't see the light of day any time soon, can be find online if one is cunning enough.

anyway, after watching it i was disappointed. With Mr. Show being funny as hell, it is understandable that bob and dave are also let down and would rather the movie not be released. it is funny at times but the heart of the movie is a rehash for fans. it might make a good impression on people unfamilar with mr show or the whole ronnie dobbs character. overall it's very similar to a SNL skit movie, although it isn't that bad.

curious if anyone else has hunted it down and checked it out and what they thought about the movie.
Old 02-18-03, 11:30 PM

I've seen most of it. Someone I know had it on tape last summer. I haven't seen too much of the Mr. Show series, but even from what I've seen I can tell a lot of it was taken from the show.

It kinda reminds me of the Kids in the Hall movie; as a sketch comedy television show it's brillant, but I guess making a feature length just isn't their specialty. Monty Python trancsends this 'law' though...
Old 02-19-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I d/l it and watched about two thirds of it. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Not funny and pretty ridiculous. But that's just my opinion. However, Nikki Cox parading around in skmipy bikinis in a couple of scenes is worth the hassle. Otherwise, not worth it in my opinion.

Hell, who am I kidding. I d/l because I heard about those two scenes.
Old 02-19-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this over a year ago in a test screening. I've never watched any Mr. Show episodes so I went in totally green. Both my wife and I enjoyed it and the theater was totally rocking through the whole thing. I have no idea why they won't release it, it would at least make money.
Old 09-17-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just picked up the dvd and this cut is different than one I saw online... and it's far superior.

Sure, the movie is flawed, but any fan of Mr. Show has GOT to see this one... even if only for the Chimney Story and "three times 1 minus 1" music videos... DAMN!!! Also, lots of great celeb cameos and some pretty hilarious scenes...sure it's uneven and some of the jokes are complete misfires, but overall it was pretty fun and I'm glad I bought it.... New Line should have released this instead of Dumb and Dumberer....I know it would have made a lot more bank... anyhow, Bob and David fans, rejoice!

MATT
Old 09-17-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure, the movie is flawed
mdc, TPM is flawed. This movie is ass all the way through. Dumb and Dumber is Masterpiece Theater compared to this garbage.
Old 09-17-03, 03:39 PM

How does the DVD cut differ from the previous cut?
Old 09-17-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The original skit this movie was based on was a lot funnier, IMHO. This one basically told the same story more or less and stretched it out with a lot of fairly unfunny stuff. It wasn't outright terrible, but it was pretty mediocre. Glad I only rented it, I'd much rather spend my $$$ on Mr. Show sets.
Old 09-18-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
So does anyone know what was in the edit that Bob and David think is far superior? I'm just curious because the deleted scenes on the DVD were just okay, except for the one where
Spoiler:
Bob and David walk off the set and break charachter.
That one should've stayed because it was funny and would've lent the movie a more "Mr. Show" feel.
Old 09-19-03, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by mdc3000
[B]I just picked up the dvd and this cut is different than one I saw online... and it's far superior.
Matt,

How is the dvd cut different from the previous cut you saw online?
Old 09-19-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
One thing I also didn't like about this was that they really "softened" up Ronnie's character from the original show. He was made a lot more sympathetic, but I miss the raging redneck loon we saw in the skits. I don't want to ROOT for Ronnie, I want to watch him getting his ass kicked!
Old 09-19-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only die-hard Mr. Show fan that always thought that the Ronnie Dobs skit was one of the weaker Show skits? And I agree with you Sierra but they had to do it b/c they had to make a movie out of it, you can't just have the one-dimensional character for near 90 minutes.

Anyway I think the movie is absolutely hillarious. Now, nowhere near as good as the show. But the high points are funnier than ANYTHING released in a mainstream comedy.

I can only hope that the actual Mr. Show: The Movie get's made. David Cross was on some talk show a few months ago, & he said the just rapped up the script & hope to begin production ASAP.
Old 09-20-03, 02:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
Am I the only die-hard Mr. Show fan that always thought that the Ronnie Dobs skit was one of the weaker Show skits?
No, you're not the only one.
Old 09-20-03, 03:06 PM
Banned

Mr MR show was great. but this movie just didn't cut it. I like the skits in Mr show about Ronnie, most of them anyway. Remember the musical number were Ronnie sings about beating his wife. " Y'all, are brutalizing me!!!" now you can't tell me for a second that wasn't funny.
Old 09-22-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Loved every minute of it. Not as great as the tv show but we knew it wouldnt/couldnt be. Only wish we could have seen Troy Miller's directors cut.