TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 2/18/03

Old 02-18-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smallville 2/18/03

Alright episode.
Spoiler:
Martha has found the key at the beginning to the space ship and tries to hide it from Clark and Jonathan by burying it in the basement. She gets contaminated with something and has to go to the hospital. She spends the whole episode in the hospital. Some group is sent to Smallville from Metropolis when Martha's blood tests come back and the virus she has is unknown and could be contagious. We also find out that Martha is pregnant here! They decide to go to Clark's home and search so Clark has to speed home and drive away with the ship to hide it. While driving in the truck with the ship in the back Clark goes dizzy and runs the truck off the road. He tries to push it back on the road, but suddenly we find out he has lost his powers. He regains his powers and hides the ship at Pete's. Back at home Clark gets sick again and passes out while talking to Lana. The nurse that was tending to Martha(Lex's girlfriend from before) comes to the farm and gets a blood sample, even though Jonathan is trying to resist and tell her not too. While Clark is sick and unconcious resting at home, Chloe comes over and reads him a note saying how she really loves him and the just friends thing is just a front, because she doesn't want Clark to be scared away. Clark comes to a little bit after she says it and says Lana's name. That night Jonathan is leaving the farm when Clark comes out the door and asks him where he is going. Jonathan says that Martha and Clark probably won't live through the night . Jonathan decides to go get the key to the ship that the investigation agency found in the back at their base, because Martha told him earlier that she thinks the ship helped cure her and allowed her to get pregnant so Jonathan thinks it might save her now. Jonathan breaks into the base and gets the key, but then gets caught by a guard when Clark runs up behind the guard and hits him over the head with something, because he is still without his powers. They escape when Pete is used as a decoy in the truck. When they finally get to the hospital we find out that Martha has flat lined and she is pronounced dead. Clark starts up the ship and it heals Martha and Clark so they are as good as new. The baby is also still perfect. At school Lana is cleaning out the trash in the student newspaper room when she finds the note Chloe wrote to Clark wadded up. She finds it so now she knows how Chloe really feels. Lex buys Martha's medical records from one of the doctors that works at the hospital.
Old 02-18-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
forgot to tape it and got stuck on a call at work so I missed the first 15 minutes
Old 02-18-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hypnotic, now that is smallville I know and love, its been awhile. I gladly over look not one person seeing ship out window or the overthetop break-in for the great character development in this ep. Its great to see Johnathan Kent in bigger role and not backshadowed by young superman all time. It was first time I really felt my heart leap in this ep because he is not clark and was no guarantee he successfully get out. I want to see this more often and I'm not necessarily refuring to the intense and dramatic action as much as this still about clark's life, aka true smallville yet he did not have or need hog full fortysome mins of airtime. Given they showed us they will whip out red kryptonite eps whenever they feel liek it, doing as much damage as possible to characters and expect us to forget by next ep, this very welcome return why liked show in first place.

Last edited by madara; 02-18-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-18-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Dude....that was a horriblely cruel thing to do to Chloe.
Old 02-18-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
Dude....that was a horriblely cruel thing to do to Chloe.
next thing you know, she is going to have the crap beat out of her while Clark is off w/ Lana...

...I thought tonight's ep was alright - I was hoping that they would let the pretty doctor in on the secret, even if she is w/ Lex.

Martha's reason for hiding the key from Jonathan and Clark was dumb, imo - I can't believe she was afraid Clark would find the key and learn about himself and want to leave (if I am misinterpreting what she said, please correct me).

Lana and Chloe both looked hot tonight in their respective ways.
Old 02-18-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great ep. I felt so bad for Chloe...Could anybody post the complete text of her letter? I kinda have most of it memorized but I'm not sure about the wording.
Old 02-19-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Chloe's getting screwed, but she kind of brought it on herself. she had a chance last season but when she had that conversation with Clark she made him think she just wanted to be friends, don't remember all the details

next week will be good
Spoiler:
christopher reeve will be on

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-19-03 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-19-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was a great episode, all that I love Smallville for! But (and there always will probably be a "but!") I am getting really tired of Clark being so p-whipped all the time. I want to shake him up and remind him loudly and clearly that he IS NOT married to these women! He puts up with more crap from them episode after episode than a manure shoveller, always caving in and apologizing for taking his friends to the hospital, saving people, and all the horrible things that all guys do. For ONCE I think he's going to stand up for himself to Chloe and tell her off, but what does he do? CAVES IN AND APOLOGIZES AGAIN! Crack that whip!

And I found Chloe's scene with sick Clark very, very funny. I know that was not the reaction the creators of the show were going for, but the poem or whatever it was that she read was so horribly lame, and her acting so horribly bad, that I was just rolling with laughter. And when he whispered, "Lana" and the tear was coming out BEFORE he said it (I think anyway) and then her turn before she left and her lame tears...yah, I lost it at that point. I laughed so hard I had tears coming out of MY eyes!

Of course, we see Lana find the love letter at the end and the triangle goes on. Maybe if Clark wasn't so busy allowing himself be whipped by these two all the time, he could buckle down and make a decision and pick one once and for all.
Old 02-19-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
And I found Chloe's scene with sick Clark very, very funny. I know that was not the reaction the creators of the show were going for, but the poem or whatever it was that she read was so horribly lame, and her acting so horribly bad, that I was just rolling with laughter. And when he whispered, "Lana" and the tear was coming out BEFORE he said it (I think anyway) and then her turn before she left and her lame tears...yah, I lost it at that point. I laughed so hard I had tears coming out of MY eyes!
LOL, I thought I was the only one who thought the same thing. Some friend all felt sorry for chloe, but right after the whispered Lana, I was like oh snap and said to myself someone just got jacked!! Then I started cracking up so hard, i couldn't help it. I know it was insensitive but i thought it was hilarious. This is what im talking about both Lana and Chloe fighting for Clarks love. Lana finally decided to step up to the plate. Its like the says "All is fair in the love and war". The gloves are off, CAT FIGHT!!!
Old 02-19-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
That was a great episode.
Old 02-19-03, 09:28 AM

Cool ep.

Questions.

So we wait all this time to see what happens when the disc goes in the ship...and it turns bright and heals people and turns off again?

Was there a Kent baby in the comic book, or is this just one of those really bad ideas for TV?

Isn't the love triangle now beyond old? Are they going to have to change the title to "Chloe Lana Clark and Lex?"
Old 02-19-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Zien

So we wait all this time to see what happens when the disc goes in the ship...and it turns bright and heals people and turns off again?
The thing with the ship made no sense to me. Why does it cure people? Did it cure everyone in the hospital? Within a 10 mile radius? It can cure infertility and toxic poisoning, can it cure cancer? Shouldn't the Kents take the ship on the road and heal the world?

The Ship = Lame
Old 02-19-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
I can see how the ship can heal Clark but, not ordinary humans. This episode was fairly enjoyable. They had to open up a bag of worms with the love triangel again.
Old 02-19-03, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the synopsis. I missed half of it and didn't want to wait until Sunday to watch it again.
Old 02-19-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lana also said that some people are better with words than others...so does she want to be with Clark and doesn't care if Chloe does too...?
Old 02-19-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a question about the ship:

Aside from the idea that it had to have cured everybody in the hospital (a buddy and I came up with some great scenes we never saw of people in the morgue suddenly coming to life! I mean the ship cures DEATH, so there is nothing this bad boy can't do!), I have to wonder why Martha thinks that if Clark has the key to the ship, he will find out about his past? It strikes me that every time the key is used on the ship, it just glows a lot and people feel a whole lot better.

Maybe this is where Superman's immortality could come from? I am not suggesting this is how it is or even how it should be, but it would be an interesting twist on an alternate universe Superman, where he has to keep putting the key into his ship to remain young looking and strong and immortal. Heck, the thing cures death for crying out loud, it's plausible that it would keep Clark alive for a long, long time.

But back to the point on hand: If all the ship does is glow and heal with the key intact, how will they ever get to open it and look inside? Or do we see that next week?
Spoiler:
it looks like next week Clark does get to find out his true origins, so maybe the key in the ship has something to do with it, we will find out, I guess!
Old 02-19-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
Remember when Tina Greer tied Clark up with Lana's kryptonite necklace around his neck and the ship came to life and turned the kryptonite white? The key was not in the ship then.
Old 02-19-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lwhy?
Remember when Tina Greer tied Clark up with Lana's kryptonite necklace around his neck and the ship came to life and turned the kryptonite white? The key was not in the ship then.
So who exactly is running the ship? In the comic books, Clark's boy hood pet from Krypton sneaks aboard the ship. Krypto could be controlling the ship from the inside! KRYPTO! K-R-Y-P-T-O, Krypto was his name-o!

Ok, sorry, I need sleep!
Old 02-20-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
So who exactly is running the ship? In the comic books, Clark's boy hood pet from Krypton sneaks aboard the ship. Krypto could be controlling the ship from the inside! KRYPTO! K-R-Y-P-T-O, Krypto was his name-o!

Ok, sorry, I need sleep!
Its obviously BEPPO the Super Monkey.
Old 02-20-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, finally got to watch this episode last night.

Chloe and Lana represent different personality traits and histories. Why does Clark continue to gravitate towards Lana? Some of it has to do with her tragic past (losing her parents to the meteor showers that brought him to earth), I think Clark does feel very responsible for that event. Also, you simply love the one you do, whether they reciprocate that love is the crux of any burgeoning relationship. So far, the writers put a lot of impediments between Clark and Lana. Perhaps Clark has spied on Lana for so long, his romantic sense of Lana is still very strong.

Also, Lana is much more of a sympathetic person than Chloe, who is more direct and goes for the heart of the matter, sometimes too quickly and too harshly due to her "auto-reporter" mode she goes into (like when she was grilling Clark for details on his mother's illness). Clark called her on it and she backed down quickly. But Chloe is bright and vivacious, and fun, but could be too inquisitive for her own good, especially when Clark is trying hard to hide his secret, lest he burden someone else with his secret.

And for Chloe, it's also a bit of "you simply love the one you do" and that guy is Clark, who has always had eyes for Lana. Now the question is that Lana has problems giving herself to someone who puts her last (or everyone first) in terms of "saving the world" and bolting at a moment's notice.

But the reasons that I've been able to write so many paragraphs on the love triangle is because of the way the writers have successfully integrated the "Dawson's Creek" aspects of teenage love with the mythos of Superman.

The aspects of unrequited love on the part of Chloe, expressing it through her letter to Clark, and Clark shattering Chloe's world was heart-breaking (okay, I understand if people get a good laugh out of it too).

Now back to the other parts of the episode. Remember earlier when Ryan (mind-reader kid) told Martha that he's keep her secret, finally we find out it was her pregnancy that he was foreshadowing. While I'm not all that crazy about using the spaceship as the deus ex machina answer to cure Martha, I'm glad she's around. The main other outcome of the story is that Lex's lady doc knows that Clark has different "DNA" blood than humans, and with Lex hovering around, he'll be getting the 411 on Clark and Martha soon enough (he even bought their files from the guy at the end of the show as well, and that keep the viewers from never fully embracing Lex because his sneakiness will bring an end to his and Clark's friendship one day).

The look on Jonanthan's face when the needle went into Clark's arm was priceless.

Last edited by Patman; 02-20-03 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 04:05 PM
Banned

i liked this episode (well except for the part about the ship healing them) but all the other parts were great

btw, did all the people in the hospital not see the light that zipped thru the right before martha miraculously healed

that part with chloe was sad, but made me laugh out loud

btw, i jus want to mention something about some of the past episodes...Pete must be indistructable because he sure has taken some serious beatings

anybody knows anything about Christopher Reeves character on next weeks episode?
Old 02-20-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
The main other outcome of the story is that Lex's lady doc knows that Clark has different "DNA" blood than humans, and with Lex hovering around, he'll be getting the 411 on Clark and Martha soon enough (he even bought their files from the guy at the end of the show as well, and that keep the viewers from never fully embracing Lex because his sneakiness will bring an end to his and Clark's friendship one day).
Doc Lady know, but I don't think Lex knows. When the exchange went down, the guy asked why he wanted "Martha's" records, we don't really know if she would kept records on Clark's alien blood....what would she write Type: Out of the World?

And although no one saw the ship, everyone saw the light because Lady Doc braced herself against the impact of the light.
Old 02-20-03, 06:34 PM

Great episode, nothing much other for me to say.
Old 02-20-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the last 15 minutes of the show (My wife remined me it was on TV, man did I work fast to get home to watch the end).

I will catch the replay on Sunday.
Old 02-21-03, 03:32 AM

I think if you really wanted to see past the "ship should have cured everyone in the hospital" plot hole, you can tell yourself that only people who had come in direct contact with the ship previously (ie actually touched it before) would be cured by the ship. Not the greatest explanation, but one that could probably hold up.

In any event, finally an episode that didn't completely suck like the last 2-3 have.

Thanks, Patman, for reminding me about the foreshadowing with Ryan and the pregnancy. I think the recent slew of bad episodes had made me completely give up hope for some good continuity.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.