Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

NEWS!! Only One Villain in Spider-Man 2

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

NEWS!! Only One Villain in Spider-Man 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEWS!! Spider-Man 2 Movie NEWS!!!!

===================================
superherohype.com
Only One Villain in Spider-Man 2
Tuesday, February 18, 2003 8:29 CST

The Philadelphia News spoke to Marvel Studios' Avi Arad who said to expect only one villain in Spider-Man 2...

"Spider-Man II" (May 2004) - Reportedly, the story has Peter and Mary Jane dealing with college. While Arad would not reveal the villain, he said speculation that it will be classic Spidey foe Doctor Octopus was "in the ballpark" and that there will almost definitely be only one main villain, not two as some have speculated.

Looks like we'll have to wait for The Lizard in other possible sequels.

================================

Well I guess this is a good thing. 1) You don't want to over saturate the story with 2 villains. 2.) Staying away from the Batman formula!

I completely agree of not using the Lizard. How would you begin to combine those two villains?

With that being said, I do wish they use some kind of super henchmen such as Shocker, Rhino, Sandman etc. We don’t need any background story for them other than they are hired help to kill Spidey!

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 02-19-03 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-18-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
Hmmm...interesting. I definately think that Doc Oc is a good enough character to go solo. But I agree that they could have him higher a hench man that doesn't have much character to him like whiteknight said. Shocker and Rhino both would make excellent hench men.

Who was part of the sinister six?
Old 02-18-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Will there be any Black Cat?

Only one villain is good IMO. Batman was always too top heavy in those areas.
Old 02-18-03, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another agree from me. One main villain, one henchman. Simple and allows you to flesh them out adequately.

Not sure if I want to see Black Cat in there or not. Might be too much having him develop his relationship with MJ AND meet the Cat...

But, they pulled the first one off just fine, so I'm not too worried.
Old 02-18-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want Venom! Hopefully he will be in part 3.
Old 02-18-03, 01:00 PM

i definetly think one villian is a good idea. as far as henchmens go i think i remember reading somewhere that they wanted to include the Kraven character in the movie somehow. i also heard that the kid that played donnie darko, forget his real name, is gonna make a cameo as the person who eventually becomes carnage, possibly laying the groundwork for the villian in the third flick.
Old 02-18-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am buying my tickets online right now, I want to be the 1st in line.
Old 02-18-03, 01:03 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Blaster1
I want Venom! Hopefully he will be in part 3.
I'd personally like to see a movie with Venom (and Carnage) myself, but I doubt that'd ever happen. If they were in it, the origins of both would have to be completely changed. There's just too much story to tell to have Spiderman go into space (along with the copyright issues of having all those other characters like the X-Men) to fight in the Secret Wars, and get the black symbiotic suit that joins with Eddie Brock to become Venom.

... God, I'm such a geek.
Old 02-18-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The villian will be the soundtrack.
Old 02-18-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
I'd personally like to see a movie with Venom (and Carnage) myself, but I doubt that'd ever happen. If they were in it, the origins of both would have to be completely changed. There's just too much story to tell to have Spiderman go into space (along with the copyright issues of having all those other characters like the X-Men) to fight in the Secret Wars, and get the black symbiotic suit that joins with Eddie Brock to become Venom.

Agreed, but they'd probably change it. Don't forget the whole 'cosmic powers' storyline as well.
Old 02-18-03, 01:14 PM

I've heard that Venom and Carnage might be used in Spidey 3. However, the origin for Venom most likely will be changed...maybe to something like Ultimate Spiderman.
Old 02-18-03, 01:28 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by White Knight
I've heard that Venom and Carnage might be used in Spidey 3. However, the origin for Venom most likely will be changed...maybe to something like Ultimate Spiderman.
I haven't read a Spiderman book since sometime in the mid-90's, so I'm a bit rusy on the Ultimate storylines, although I do know of them. What is Venom's origin according to the new revamp now?
Old 02-18-03, 01:47 PM

I remember the Spiderman cartoon. They basically just had it come from space -- attached to a shuttle, but easily could be a meteor or the like. The Secret Wars setup introduced it as a simple alien entity, no real background. Shouldn't be tough to think of something else.

I hope Kravan isn't in the second movie. He's too complex a character to gloss over and not powerful enough to be threatening enough as a henchman. Doc Oc + Sandman would be a good pairing.
Old 02-18-03, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by tanman
Hmmm...interesting. I definately think that Doc Oc is a good enough character to go solo. But I agree that they could have him higher a hench man that doesn't have much character to him like whiteknight said. Shocker and Rhino both would make excellent hench men.

Who was part of the sinister six?
The sinsiter six, if I recall correctly, were Doc Ock, Sandman, Electro, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio, and the Vulture.

They were the original group.

granted I would like to see venom as much as anyone, I think the best move for the company, and the movie series is stay as true to the comics as possible. These six did not just appear teamed up to bash spidey, they joined forces due to their hate for him from dealing with him over and over again. I think the movies need to stayt true to that. The first movie was great due to keeping true to it's roots minus a few changes. Don't mess with a good working formula.

AS much as I like Doc Ock or any other I think the best next baddie for Spidey is the lizard. There is already a reference to Doctor Connors in the first movie, Peter tells Harry Connors fired him, so you have some ground work that Connors already exists and doesn't just appear out of nowhere. Granted in most of the comics, baddies did just come out of nowhere so it would still work.

As far as I am concerned as long as they keep it similiar to teh first, they will have a winner. With Spideys background covered, that means 2+ hours of action in place of back filling. I can't wait.

Last edited by Awwjwah; 02-18-03 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-18-03, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by yecul
I remember the Spiderman cartoon. They basically just had it come from space -- attached to a shuttle, but easily could be a meteor or the like. The Secret Wars setup introduced it as a simple alien entity, no real background. Shouldn't be tough to think of something else.

I hope Kravan isn't in the second movie. He's too complex a character to gloss over and not powerful enough to be threatening enough as a henchman. Doc Oc + Sandman would be a good pairing.
If you are refering to Spideys black Alien Symboite suit, he got that during the Secret wars in the comic when he was teleported out into space, sans costume. The alien symboite then read peter's mind, offered itself up as a costume and then it started trying to bond with him. Upon being rejected by spidey it went with his old high school nemesis due to once again, mutual hatred of peter/spidey.

As for Kraven, he was a stand alone baddie who was always after better and better prey. Spidey was the next logical course after killing normal people. When he failed he went crazy and killed himself and was repalced in the sin six by hobgoblin.
Old 02-18-03, 02:26 PM

Well Tom. Geek here too. Personally, as long as they keep making them like the first movie I will go see the entire comic series converted to film. Tell the whole story and they will get my $8 every time.

BTW, I apologize to anyone bothered by my multiple posts in a row. I always hated grouping answers to multiple posts in one big 10 page long post.

Last edited by Awwjwah; 02-18-03 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-18-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally posted by yecul

I thought that this was very well done. It gave enough back story in a half hour cartoon. I think that they could do it. But, the villain might be to "farfetched" for the general public. The green goblin was much more of a "believable" character.
Old 02-18-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
I prefer one villian also. I don't like the idea of having the black cat. It seems too Batman Returns for me. She's like a catwoman and you don't know whose side she is on. Instead of having her be one of spidey's love interest, you could have Betty Brant. They have already introduced her in the first movie. They should recast the character though. Kristin Kreuk would make a great Betty Brant IMHO. The thing I love about spiderman is that he is a "normal" person with superpowers. He has fiancial troubles and he has women troubles. I would like to see more of this in the sequel. I don't know who they should cast as Dr. Octopus if they use him or Lizard if they use him for the one villian.
Old 02-18-03, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lwhy?
I prefer one villian also.
Me too.
Old 02-18-03, 07:13 PM
Banned

Well at least they are not doing two villians like the Batman movies.
Old 02-18-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn, CGI on that would be killer if they did it right. Imagine all that black and red going around. Itd be like Terminator 2 on speed, and then some.
Old 02-18-03, 09:31 PM

Do you think Venom would be totally CGI?
Old 02-18-03, 10:02 PM

Molina Cast as Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2?
Tuesday, February 18, 2003 9:32 CST

Coming Attractions has a follow-up to the rumor that actor Alfred Molina was offered the role of villain Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2. According to the site, Molina has now accepted the offer and signed to star in the sequel. Sony Pictures could not be reached for comment on this.

Molina can be seen in the great-looking Identity, also from Sony Pictures, on April 25. For a look at Molina's complete filmography, click here.

We'll be awaiting either confirmation or denial from the studio on this one. Let us know what you think of this possible casting on the SHH! Boards. Thanks to 'Internapse', 'JJ', 'Hurricane', 'Joker7', 'Sam Central', 'JD' and 'Pool' for the heads up.
Old 02-19-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this for real? Alfred Molina?
Old 02-19-03, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Patman
Is this for real? Alfred Molina?
Alfred Molina WTF?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.