Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Indy Horror Flicks you've seen recently or could recommend

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 09:32 AM
KLB
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the last Indy (direct to vid, low-budget, B-movie or one no one has seen) Horror flick you rented or saw ??

What made you pick it up or watch it? Did you like it? Regret spending the time on it?

As an independent producer trying to figure out the american video distribution, rental and niche marketplace I would love to hear from folks here.

I've talked to the major distributors and am convinced they have no idea what people like but just want more of last years/month's big rental hit or a sequel to something that rented well.

thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-03, 08:31 AM

Just wanted to bring this to the top as I'm looking for some good horror flicks too. The upcoming 28 Days Later looks awesome but what about on dvd?

The last really good one I enjoyed was "Dog Soldiers".
Old 06-24-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although it's pretty popular so it may not fit your category, but SESSION 9 is one of the scariest films ever made.
Old 06-24-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dog Soldiers kicked ass. Is that obscure enough?
Old 06-24-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recent low budget indies which seem to have generated more than their fair amount of buzz here obviously include the following:

Session 9
Cube (Horror aspect is somewhat debatable)
Ginger Snaps
28 Days Later
Dog Soldiers
Old 06-24-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally posted by meritocracy
Recent low budget indies which seem to have generated more than their fair amount of buzz here obviously include the following:

Session 9
Cube (Horror aspect is somewhat debatable)
Ginger Snaps
28 Days Later
Dog Soldiers
All of the above +

Region 2 The Bunker
and Region 3 Deathwatch
both have similiar war themes and are very cool....

Region 3 Ritual which was supposed to be the third Tales From the Crypt movie is also not bad...similiar to The Serpant and the Rainbow...
Old 06-24-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forgot to add that if your interested in viewing Ginger Snaps do yourself a favor and pick up the Canadian Edition as the US release is worthless.
Old 06-25-03, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Horror.

why i picked it up, first it was cheap. second i have heard of the director from his first film Desecration. Both films got decent reviews at the sites i check for horror reviews.

i would recomend horror, but not to just any average horror fan. the dialoge is just horid and so is the acting. this is like a C movie, however the creativity and passion makes it more interesting than some A horror movies. the story is extremely surreal, make this is just a nice way to say the plot is non exisitant or extremely confusing. the audio was awesome, extremely atmospheric.

either i'm too jaded or just not seeing the right kind of horror movies, but they fail to scare me. the best i can hope for is it to be creepy at times and have alot of effective atmosphere. this is were Horror delivers; if you can accept the low budget and terrible acting.

when his guy gets a decent budget, it's gonna be great.
and this guy is Dante Tomaselli.

imdb link;

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0304166

Tomaselli interview (from Esplatter.com);

http://www.esplatter.com/profiles/tomaselli.htm

...."Are the investors shy about really gutwrenching horror?

You mean investors for "Satan's Playground"? Yes, they want to inject comedy. Make it lighter. Less fatalistic. All I need is $350K, and 100% creative control. I mean, only I know how to do assemble a movie with that kind of low budget and somehow make it look and sound like a million bucks. Someone who hasn't done it before...they can't realistically tell me what to do. Basically, I just need someone with $350, 000 and a belief in me. I know "Satan's Playground" has a chance at being the Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre of this generation. I just know it. Just let me make it. The right investor, who believes in me, will fall in place. All I need is $350, 000 and that person becomes an Executive Producer. I just need somebody, preferably a horror fan, to put the money in the bank and say, "Ok, let's do it." I've had a few false alarms. I'm realistic - I'll agree to having no say about the cuts in the theatrical version. I understand that. Hopefully there will be a director's cut DVD, whatever. But I do see this one, "Satan's Playground", as being in the theaters. It will be so scary, so relentless...what "The Blair Witch Project" could have been - if filmed differently...well...no...not really...that's not a good comparison -- but you know, the feeling of being lost in the woods. The raw terror. I'd even be into shooting "Satan's Playground" for only $250, 000 - do it on Super 16 mm and then blow it up for the theatrical version. Things are pending. I'll make "Satan's Playground", like like I made "Desecration" and "Horror"...somehow.

Is it hard to find investors out there for a really gutsy horror film? Are most just interested in another Scream or Ring?

It's all about doing a clone of the last big hit. Yes, they want do something like "Scream" where it's very ironic and clever with little jokes sprinkled about...Something hip. I had three different producers say, "Kids like comedy in their movies." I was like, "NO THEY DON'T!" True horror fans want something subversive, something genuinely disturbing. It's a shame the people in power, the Hollywood money people, don't understand that. They just don't get it. That's why the best horror films will always come from the independents. ".........
Old 06-25-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for future refrence

Indy=Indiana Jones
Indie=Independent, Low budget

Thanks.
Old 06-25-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Old 06-26-03, 05:28 PM
Suspended

I'd add WENDIGO to the list even though it did have a few theatrical play dates.

By the way, BLUE SUNSHINE and INCUBUS both had pretty high theatrical profiles during their original release, so I don't really think they qualify.