Community
Search

Release Updates, Frequent Topics, Newcomer Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-01, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Release Updates, Frequent Topics, Newcomer Help

New members to the site often have questions that are frequent topics on the forum. We encourage you to start your DVDTalk experience with this thread and check back frequently as information changes often. If you are new to Home Theater a good place to start is Hometheater 101 For DVDTalk information we urge people to please check out a few threads first. This will help keep a wider range of topics current on the front page. The search feature is very effective for current comments on a topic. As always we are looking for a new perspective on any topic but many are answered right here.

For example:
When is xxxx title coming out?
I'm having trouble with xxxx title, what now?
Can I copy DVD's to my VCR?
What is a Criterion?
Where do I buy....?
Where is the best deal on....?
My movies have a slight pause in the middle?
What are aspect ratios/why the black bars?
What are the different kinds of cases and where can I buy replacements?
What does "xxxx" mean?
What is/where do I find Easter Eggs?
What are the different names assigned to members and how do they change?

Release Information: This is an overview of frequently requested catalog titles only, plus a few very popular re-releases. This is only a sample. For more complete information check out:
Upcoming new releases: MAO's New Release List.
Upcoming Rereleases:Mikko's Re-release list
Already Re-released: Reissues
Catalog titles:Jadzia's unreleased list
Rumors:The Digital Bits Rumor Mill
Unusual or Special Interest titles: Cynthia's list of exclusive titles
Full List of DVDTalk Titles: DVDTalk bargains
TV Shows: www.tvshowsondvd.com
Out of Print:OOP Titles

The Holy Grails Of Requested Titles
Star Wars: As with 1 and 2, Ep 3 will be day and date with its' VHS counterpart. The original versions which started the whole cult and made George Lucas who he is will never be released on DVD. It was recently announced that further changes made to the Special Editions from a few years ago will be made after Ep3 is released. Only then will fans be able to see their Original Trilogy on DVD. If you really love the original Original, save your LD's and VHS tapes.
Will Star Wars 4-6 be released on VHS again before DVD?

Indiana Jones. Nothing is confirmed but Spielberg is targeting one a year starting in late 2003.
Spielberg talks RAIDERS

Lion King, Aladdin, rest of Disney. Sleeping Beauty in 2003 and Lion King in Oct. 2003, Aladdin in 2004.
Disney Future Platinum Releases
Big Fat List of Disney

Schindler's List, Originally rumored for 2001, then again for 2002. Now offically considered a holdover with no word or rumors of a release date.

TV Shows: Seinfeld is the biggest request but there are no plans for a release. There are just way to many others to start listing but studios are really big on TV content right now so assume just about everything will be available at some point. Already Released: Malcolm, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, Simpsons, others. Coming Soon: E.R., Frasier, Cheers, Married With Children, Charlie's Angels. No not yet: Seinfeld

On the way:

Life Stinks 2/14
Star Trek DS9 Season 1 2/25
Day The Earth Stood Still 3/4
Fargo SE 3/4
Quest For Fire 3/4
Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3/4
Roger Rabbit 3/25
City Slickers II 4/1
Wildcats 4/1
Legal Eagles SE 4/1
West Side Story SE 4/1
Ghost and Mrs Muir 4/1
Dances With Wolves SE 4/???
Driving Miss Daisy SE 4/4
Color Purple SE 4/18
Car Wash 5/6
Coal Miners Daughter 5/6
In-Laws 5/13
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea 5/13
Fame 6/3
Grapes of Wrath 6/3

Brady Bunch Movies, Cocoon, Dial M for Murder, Duel, Ed Wood SE, Escape From NY SE (December), The Keep, Last American Virgin (August), Lion King (October), Live and Die in LA, Love Bug, Paper Moon, Scarface SE (mid year), Shogun, Sixteen Candles (Delayed), True Lies 5 star, Valley Girl (August), Wild at Heart, Weird Science (delayed)

Holdovers the following were mentioned for 2002 but never materialized
All That Jazz, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Burning, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: SE, Ford Fairlane, The Hunger, Judgment at Nuremberg, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, The Omega Man, Once Upon a Time in The West, Raging Bull SE, Reds, Roger and Me, The Rose, Stripes SE, The Sure Thing: SE, Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Constant interest for a release on DVD but nothing yet
Accidental Tourist, After Hours, African Queen, Bill Cosby: Himself, Eating Raoul, The Final Countdown (for REAL this time), Giant, Hardcore, Howard the Duck, King Kong 1933 (2004), Legend Of Billie Jean, Meet Me in St. Louis, Modern Romance, Eddie Murphy: Delirious, Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), Once Upon a Time in America, Orca, Orgazmo, Peyton Place, Poseidon Adventure SE, Rosencrantz and Guilderstern are Dead, Shogun (TV miniseries), Song of the South, The Spirit of St. Louis, Titanic: SE (anamorphic), Towering Inferno SE, Vacation & Christmas Vacation SE's, Wait Until Dark, White Heat, Wuthering Heights: SE, Yankee Doodle Dandy
Sometimes studios try to spread out the release of hot titles, or wait for talent participation in the extras. Other times they are caught up in legal wrangling over rights. In any case many titles are on the slow track to release dates.

I'm Having Trouble

I'm having trouble with xxxx title, who else, what now, what about...?
Usually after a title is released and a defect arises, a "one and only" problem thread will; be created. There are numerous reasons for problems ranging from defective authoring to older players having trouble with newer software. Check out this Consolidated problems thread

My movies seem to have a slight pause or freeze frame near the middle.
Put simply, in order to fit all the information on one side of the DVD, the technology utilizes two layers of information. That delay is the laser reaching the end of layer 1 and finding layer 2.

Can I copy DVD's to my VCR?
If you really want to badly enough, yes there are machines and hardware that defeat the macrovision which is in the DVD spec to protect from piracy. You are taking 480 lines of resolution down to 240. You're eliminating the DD 5.1 sound, chapter stops, alternate soundtracks, and extras that make DVD so cool.
Copying DVD's

What are the different kinds of cases and where can I buy replacements?
The most common and most popular is the Amaray Keepcase. Most studios including Paramount, Universal and Columbia utilize this case. It is made of solid plastic with a printed insert for the cover. The second style is a Snapper. This is utilized by WB and is made of printed cardboard with a plastic snap across the front. Some IMAX and some bargain titles use a deluxe jewel case. Much the same as a CD jewel case but taller like a DVD case.
Official DVD cover replacement thread part XXII
Different kinds of cases
Addresses:
Attn: Margaret Higgins...................Poly-Matrix
Ivy Hill Corp ...................................40 Downing Parkway
375 Hudson St. ............................Pittsfield, MA 01201
New York, NY 10014
European site about cases

What is or where do I find out about Easter Eggs?
Easter Eggs are extra features that are not apparent when first viewing the menu. They are accessed by highlighting something on the menu or entering a code. They can range anywhere from outakes to another version of the film. Many are quite interesting, some are more trouble than they're worth. Check out:
http://www.dvdreview.com/html/hidden_features.shtml and
http://www.eeggs.com/tree/1899.html (courtesy of Wizdar and Todd B.))

Aspect Ratios, Widescreen, 16x9

What does 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 mean? Why do I have Black Bars on my TV? What is Anamorphic, Widescreen, Pan and Scan or 16 x 9?
DVD is meant to be "Home Theater". Aspects of that "Home Theater" are superior sound delivered in Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital, or DTS. The other major aspect is the superior picture presented as it was in the theaters; ie. widescreen. Aspect ratio is the width by the height. So 2.35:1 is roughly 2 1/3" wider than every inch tall. The most common ratio in the theaters is 1.85:1. Your TV is 4:3 or 1.33:1. In order to fit a rectangle into a square, information has to be removed from each side in the form of Pan and Scan, added to the top and bottom called "open matte or full frame", or reduced and "letterboxed" to see the whole picture, hence the Black Bars. Although the picture itself is smaller, more of the information is being presented. For further information on widescreen presentations and anamorphic transfers, consult the following websites. By the way, most movies made before 1953 were in a 1.33:1 ratio. It was at this point that movies trying to compete with television decided wider was better. Gone With The Wind and Wizard of Oz are supposed to be square.
Hometheater 101
Widescreen Advocate
widescreen advocacy page
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation(shockwave needed)
Digital Bits Guide to Anamorphic.
Digital Bits Widescreen-o-rama
Artists' Rights Foundation
MGM letterbox page
Aspect Ratio Question
When did you start to appreciate widescreen?
Someone plz explain these widescreen/P&S issues?

DVDTalk Information

What are the different names I see for DVDTalkers and how do they change?
They'll change automatically as your post total increases.
New Member - 0
Cool New Member - 20
Member - 50
Senior Member - 250
DVD Talk Special Edition - 1000
DVD Talk Gold Edition - 2000
DVD Talk Platinum Edition - 3000
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition - 4000
DVD Talk Limited Edition - 5000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame - 7500
DVD Talk Legend - 10000
DVD Talk Hero - 25000
DVD Talk Godfather - 50000
DVD Talk God - 100000

Where do I buy...?:
DVD Price search
ZDNet article for first time shoppers
DVDTalk web site for price comparison
WholeSaleConnection.com
OneCall.com
www.mysimon.com
pricescan.com

Information on hardware deals and feedback:
DVDTalk Hardware section
Online Equipment Reviews
Palebluedot's Hardware FAQ

Glossary

Anamorphic= The process of including more lines of resolution into a presentation
Artifacting= Unusual or unwanted effects caused by the technology and processes used to display motion pictures.
B&M= Brick and Mortar Store or retail location
Criterion= Criterion is an independant video company that licenses movies from other movie studios and produces special editions from them.
Criterion, what is it?
DS= Dolby Surround, L/R stereo, Center, Mono Rears, aka Pro-Logic
DD= Dolby Digital, 5.1 (AC-3) Above plus stereo rear channels and .1 LFE bass channel
DTS=Digital Theater Sound, also 5.1 but specially mixed to enhance sound.
Edge Enhancement= Equivalent of cranking up the sharpness control. (Courtesy of Bjoern Roy)
EX= Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS 5.1 ES(aka THX Surround EX) adds an additional channel for rear processing. You need two amplifiers and speakers for this channel despite the fact that the same signal is being send to both speakers. DTS 6.1 ES works the same, only the rear signal is discrete (means steered directly) instead of matrix (encoded from surround mix).
OAR = Original Aspect Ratio
OOP= Out of Print
Overscan The portion of the movie blocked by the edges of your TV screen
Pixelation= Little square pixels become noticeable, looks like it's melting
Progressive Scan Scans lines of resolution twice as fast as interlaced
Region Coding= A provision that players will accept DVD discs that are authored and encoded for use in one of six designated world regions. This technique was developed to enable Motion Picture companies to release movies at different times in different regions.
Troll= Someone who signs on to a forum with the express purpose of causing trouble. Usually starts a thread announcing a hatred for something the forum approves or embraces.
VCD= Video Compact Disc MPEG1 VHS quality format
Video Transfer primer - Open Matte, Soft Matte, 35mm, etc.
WTF= What the F***?

For more definitions, check out:
technicolor.com
panoramafirm.com
dvdjournal
cjrsplace
Video primer
Many thanks to Sykesand Bjoern Roy for their input

Essential Reading:
The Big Picture
Digital Bits
DVD File
DVD Price Search
DVD reviews list of P&S, Flippers, DTS, anamorphic, etc.
Movie Information Database

Online Tracking of DVD lists:
DVD Tracker= now costs $10/year
DVD Profiler
DVD Aficianado

When in doubt on any subject, utilize the search feature. It never hurts to resurrect a thread with additional input or a question.

Industry FAQ
For the definitive list of FAQ's which will answer everything anyone ever wanted to know, please consult the DVD Demystified Complete FAQ

Last edited by JimRochester; 02-10-03 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-26-02, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are no stupid questions, merely questions asked numerous times.
Old 06-07-02, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with these titles

i have looked and looked for these movies on dvd:

Monty Python's Meaning of Life
Dracula: Dead and Loving it
Erik the Viking
Robin Hood Men in Tights
Dragonslayer
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Hardware
The Quiet Earth
Lair of the White Worm
Bye Bye Love

Can you or anyone help me find these movies for dvd or or does anyone know when they will be released. I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter. PEACE!!!

Jedinova
Old 06-07-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lair of the White Worm is released, I found nothing on the others. Jadzia's list had nothing so there hasn't been anything said about those titles. Don't hesitate to start a new thread asking about them. We don't want to stifle people's questions, we only try to avoid redundant threads.
Old 07-10-02, 02:38 PM

how do imake my lg da-3520dvd multi regional
Old 07-11-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for checking things out. For inquiries such as that a new thread in the hardware section of the forum can help you out on that far more than I can.
Old 08-26-02, 04:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim,

Thanks for the wealth of information you've gathered together with the above links!

Any idea where I can find a list of DVDs that have already been re-released?

Mikko's list of UPCOMING RE-RELEASES is a great help but it doesn't tell me if movies that I already have in my collection have been re-released in better editions.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know of any sites or threads which specialize in this topic. You may want to start a thread asking for already re-released titles and start from there.
Old 08-27-02, 02:32 PM
Cool New Member

Jim,

Thanks to your suggestion I was able to find the list I was looking for. I think you should add this link...

http://www.fresnosdvdconnection.com/reissues.html

...to your post above since it is a valuable resource.

Thanks again!
Old 09-09-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hi gang! im new to computers and still learning the basics. ive just started my dvd list at a tracker site. how do i provide a link to my collection so people can check it out. thanks.
Old 09-09-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/misc.php?s=&action=bbcode
Old 11-03-02, 05:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just thought I'd place this frequently requested info in this thread, since it is not easily found by search:

List of OOP ( out of print ) DVDs:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=162374
Old 11-06-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talking to Universal Rep last night at the annual promo meeting about Scarface. It will be a 2 Disc Special Edition Remastered, but all info is mum. But, will come out mid 2003. Universal is focusing on releasing catalog titles in the first half of 2003.
Old 11-17-02, 03:56 PM
En vacance

Thanks for that Scarface info axolotls.

Heres my 2 questions:
-How much will the Scarface SE cost?
-When will Predator SE come out in US, how much will it cost, will it differ from region 2 in anyway?
Old 11-17-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2003 is shaping up to better even bettet than this year..If that's possible!
Old 12-10-02, 04:34 PM
King Voodoo

Maybe this is a stupid question but im new so. Just curious if anyone knows if the new Sci-Fi series Taken will be released on DVD? I know it is still running now but I really like the series and would like to have them for my collection. Any info is appreciated.

Old 12-20-02, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by axolotls return
Talking to Universal Rep last night at the annual promo meeting about Scarface. It will be a 2 Disc Special Edition Remastered, but all info is mum. But, will come out mid 2003. Universal is focusing on releasing catalog titles in the first half of 2003.
catalog titles, eh? how about the long sought-after SE for dazed and confused? any word on that?

-eric
Old 12-20-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by King Voodoo
Maybe this is a stupid question but im new so. Just curious if anyone knows if the new Sci-Fi series Taken will be released on DVD? I know it is still running now but I really like the series and would like to have them for my collection. Any info is appreciated.
Supposed to be released on DVD

originally posted by ebradfordrich
how about the long sought-after SE for dazed and confused? any word on that?
Haven't heard anything but I get most of my information from this board and a couple popular sites. I don't have inside information like a few members do.
Old 12-23-02, 01:03 AM
King Voodoo

Thank you.

Old 12-26-02, 06:33 PM

Anyone heard if It's Alive, the cult-horror classic coming to dvd?
Old 12-26-02, 08:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can we keep this thread to more FAQ-like questions about DVDs? Questions about releases can have their own threads, and questions about re-releases could have their own thread or get asked in the re-release thread, also stickied to the top of the forum.

Edited to add: and questions about the forum itself can go in the Feedback Forum.
Old 01-10-03, 10:10 PM

Shouldn't there be a Blind Buy category? It seems like a lot of new members post blind buy questions
Old 01-13-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Darth, I would appreciate you letting me know a little more about what you have in mind. Please email with some details.
Old 01-13-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's "Cool New Member" now?

I was a "Member", now I'm a "Cool New Member". It would be nice to have that "New" taken off, it can sometimes imply things about one that are not true.
Old 01-13-03, 10:55 PM

I'm a senior member but I noticed that also. btw, you do want coach to stay, right Numes?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.