Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lizzie McGuire Movie anyone seeing / what's the buzz over it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the plot and buzz for this movie(based on Disney Channel TV series that Hilary Dufff for them). Just listening to the TV ad for made me . I'd rather see X-men 2 over this movie. I think I will pass on this movie. What's buzz about it on movie forums like this? is anyone here even going to see this movie when it comes out? What's next Kim Possible or Even Stevens?

The plot
Lizzie McGuire (Duff) graduates from middle school and takes a trip to Rome.

( it sounds like direct to video plot).

The Buzz
Zzz indeed. Taking time away from turning their theme park rides into movies, Disney has come up with a good idea: Mold one of their popular TV shows into a source of revenue. By this time, moviegoers should be familiar with star Duff's face, as she recently starred opposite Frankie Muniz in Agent Cody Banks.

http://amazon.imdb.com/nowplaying/2003/05
http://amazon.imdb.com/Title?0306841

Last edited by Aaron Amos; 02-16-03 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've seen of the TV show, it's pretty enjoyable, actually. There's some clever writing, and lots of references to classic films that people will miss. The newer episodes seem pretty lame in comparison to the ones when it first started airing a couple of years ago, and I'd much rather have seen an "Even Stevens" movie than this.

Nonetheless, taken at face value, this is just like the "Even Stevens" movie that is going to air on ABC at some point (I think), except that this will play in theaters. I don't expect theatrical-quality writing or a cinematic plot at all. Sounds like it will be harmless family-friendly entertainment.

Naturally, I have no intentions to see this in theater, but maybe a rental at some point in the future. (Though I imagine there's a good chance it will be a Foolscreen-only Disney DVD.)

This forum isn't the ideal target audience, and I'm sure few people here have any interest in it (unless their kids are fans). But, I know I'd rather see something like this than a lame attempt at a family film ("Master of Disguise") or the "Snow Dogs" sequel that's supposedly in the works.

"Holes", the Disney film that's coming out a month before this, sounds like it could be very good, but there still isn't even a trailer yet, so maybe Disney is trying to hide a mess.
Old 02-16-03, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LBPound
From what I've seen of the TV show, it's pretty enjoyable, actually. There's some clever writing, and lots of references to classic films that people will miss. The newer episodes seem pretty lame in comparison to the ones when it first started airing a couple of years ago, and I'd much rather have seen an "Even Stevens" movie than this.

Nonetheless, taken at face value, this is just like the "Even Stevens" movie that is going to air on ABC at some point (I think), except that this will play in theaters. I don't expect theatrical-quality writing or a cinematic plot at all. Sounds like it will be harmless family-friendly entertainment.

Naturally, I have no intentions to see this in theater, but maybe a rental at some point in the future. (Though I imagine there's a good chance it will be a Foolscreen-only Disney DVD.)

This forum isn't the ideal target audience, and I'm sure few people here have any interest in it (unless their kids are fans). But, I know I'd rather see something like this than a lame attempt at a family film ("Master of Disguise") or the "Snow Dogs" sequel that's supposedly in the works.

"Holes", the Disney film that's coming out a month before this, sounds like it could be very good, but there still isn't even a trailer yet, so maybe Disney is trying to hide a mess.
my younger sisters are the target group I think. They are 17,16 and 13. they are die hard fans of this show.
Old 02-16-03, 07:16 PM
Banned

Re: The Lizzie McGuire Movie anyone seeing / what's the buzz over it?

Originally posted by Aaron Amos

The plot
Lizzie McGuire (Duff) graduates from middle school and takes a trip to Rome.

Jesus Crist.First the Olsen Twins now this.How many more trips to rome do we need.Go to Indonesia or Pakistan or something.
Old 02-16-03, 07:32 PM
Banned

Re: Re: The Lizzie McGuire Movie anyone seeing / what's the buzz over it?

Originally posted by Amadeus
Jesus Crist.First the Olsen Twins now this.How many more trips to rome do we need.Go to Indonesia or Pakistan or something.
word!
Old 02-16-03, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Amadeus
Forget that,,,,Bangkok!
Old 02-16-03, 08:05 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: The Lizzie McGuire Movie anyone seeing / what's the buzz over it?

Originally posted by Creek Rat
Forget that,,,,Bangkok!
Bangcock you say.
Old 02-16-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so there..
Old 02-16-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is the plot and buzz for this movie(based on Disney Channel TV series that Hilary Dufff for them). Just listening to the TV ad for made me . I'd rather see X-men 2 over this movie. I think I will pass on this movie.
Well... er... I don't think you're in the target group. The Lizzy McGuire movie and X-Men 2 aren't exactly competing for the same audience.
Old 02-16-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of the Disney Channel TV shows are actually quite decent. Not great, but if you keep in mind the intended audience (children/families) they are actually very good.
Old 02-16-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder why Aaron Amos is consistantly hammering movies that he's obviously not the target audience for?
Old 02-17-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why dont we give Hillary Duff and M-16 and have her go fight terrorists? I would wait ootside the theatre for tickets to that bad boy.
Old 02-17-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think he has a template, every week its the same thread with a new movie title....has anyone heard of it, what's the buzz, hollywood sucks...blah, blah, blah!
Old 02-17-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The trailer for this on Disney's site looks pretty dreadful, and not much like the show.
Old 02-17-03, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by clemente
I think he has a template, every week its the same thread with a new movie title....has anyone heard of it, what's the buzz, hollywood sucks...blah, blah, blah!
Well at least it's better now than when he was asking if such and such movie had nudity in DVD reviews. Ok probably not.
Old 02-18-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound
The trailer for this on Disney's site looks pretty dreadful, and not much like the show.
That may be the downfall of the movie.....not being like the show.
I think the charm of the show is in the format and the settings....not in Hillary Duff's acting chops and not really in the Lizzie character (I'm more of an M-Dogg fan).

And the show really suffered after Lalaine left (was exiled), so I'm not sure how the movie would fair.
Old 02-18-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the charm of the show is in the format and the settings....not in Hillary Duff's acting chops and not really in the Lizzie character (I'm more of an M-Dogg fan).
M-Dogg

He was the best thing about A.I., in my opinion.
Old 02-19-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
...after Lalaine left (was exiled)...
Care to elaborate?
Old 02-19-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I was wondering where Lalaine went as well.. my friend refuses to watch the show or movie now with her missing..
Old 02-19-03, 05:33 PM

I can't wait

I was so excited to see this was coming out. I first read about it on Volition.com where they are going to be promoting it with advance screenings.

I'm 36 with no kids and this is one of my favorite TV shows. (This and Even Stevens on the same networks.)

Why? Becuase it is not a stupid sitcom where they need a laugh track after every other sentence. The people actually have conversations and interact. I cannot watch shows were every line is followed by canneed HAHAHA.
Old 02-19-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
I wonder why Aaron Amos is consistantly hammering movies that he's obviously not the target audience for?
Even less to do in Burley, ID, than there was in Vacaville?
Old 02-24-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

What's next Kim Possible or Even Stevens?
An Even Stevens movie, The Stevens Get Even, is going to debut on the Disney Channel in a few months.

I like Even Stevens, though, so I think that's a good thing.
Old 02-24-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ctyner
An Even Stevens movie, The Stevens Get Even, is going to debut on the Disney Channel in a few months.

I like Even Stevens, though, so I think that's a good thing.
Me too! It just sucks that it's airing on Disney Channel, so I won't see it.
Old 02-24-03, 11:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Isn't Lizzie MacGuire the axe murderer chick? If so, this could be good!

Lizzie MacGuire took an axe,
She gave her father forty whacks,
When she saw what she had done,
She gave her mother forty-one!
Old 05-02-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, I'll fess up, I did sit through this, and while there's some gaffaws in the film (mainly from the supporting cast), it's pretty dreadful.

It gets 1 star, or a grade of D.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.