Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

GSN: Press Your Luck scandal documentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSN: Press Your Luck scandal documentary

I just saw a commercial on Game Show Network for a documentary they're doing on Michael Larson. It's going to air Sunday March 16.

I remember hearing not too long ago that Bill Murray was interested in doing the film version of this story.

Here's the GSN press release:

Game Show Network (GSN) is broadening its programming slate to include the production of its first-ever documentary based on the real-life story behind contestant Michael Larson’s legendary winning streak on CBS’ “Press Your Luck” game show in June 1984. The documentary, BIG BUCKS: THE PRESS YOUR LUCK SCANDAL will debut Sunday, March 16 from 9 to 11 PM ET/PT (and will re-air March 17 and 22 from 9-11 PM ET/PT and March 26 and 28 from noon-2 PM ET). The announcement was jointly made today by Rich Cronin, president and chief executive officer, GSN and Bob Boden, senior vice president, programming, GSN as part of the network’s Television Critics Association presentation.

Larson, an unemployed ice cream truck driver from Ohio, memorized the sequence of flashing screens and awaited the dreaded “Whammy” on “Press Your Luck’s” game board to become the show’s all time money winner, racking up $110,237 in cash and prizes with his two-episode appearance. The documentary will feature both the original episodes of Larson’s game play and exclusive interviews from sources close to the show and Larson, including host Peter Tomarken, co-contestants, Larson’s family and network executives.

“We have always found the Michael Larson story fascinating,” commented Cronin. “With the exception of the ‘Twenty One’ scandal, which was dramatized in the feature film ‘Quiz Show,’ Larson’s story is one of the most controversial in game show history. In fact, a feature film is currently being developed.”

“Larson’s memorization of the ‘Press Your Luck’ game board was anything but illegal – just truly amazing,” stated Boden. “He literally outsmarted the game and had producers introducing new rules.”

Larson, who had watched “Press Your Luck” since it premiered on September 19, 1983, tried out to become a contestant in the spring of 1984 after fervent study of the show’s game board. The “Press Your Luck” game board was comprised of flashing TV screens which featured money in dollar amounts, prizes and the cartoon character “Whammy.” Contestants stopped the flashing sequence and “landed” on a screen by pressing a control button on his or her podium. Landing a “Whammy” would wipe out a contestant’s winnings. After researching the pattern of the flashing screens, Larson deduced that there were only “six” different sequences and upon memorizing each pattern he would theoretically be able to control the board any way that he wished as a contestant.

With this insight, Larson flew to LA with only enough money in this pocket to try out to be a contestant. The executive producer and head contestant consultant disagreed over his acceptability as a contestant, however, ultimately he got his chance. Larson was ready to take on the board.

As a contestant, Larson played it safe on his first spin by hitting a whammy, but on the following two spins he garnered the top dollar amount, $1250. Larson began to really heat things up in round two when he earned seven spins. He pinpointed two screens which he wanted to continuously hit to earn money and additional spins. He immediately started to raise his prize winnings from $14,000 to $18,000 to $28,000. As Larson kept rolling, the show ran out of time and had to cut the show at his 15th consecutive spin and record earnings of $36,851. Prior to Larson’s experience, “Press Your Luck” never had to resume a show that wasn’t completed in the allotted 22 minute time frame.

Spinning on and on, Larson increased his earnings to $70,000 before he began to struggle with the synchronization between the timing of the buzzer and the flashing of the board.

When he hit the $102,000 mark after 40 consecutive spins, Larson relinquished his remaining spins to the other contestants. In the end, Larson won the game and left with $110,237, with over $100,000 of it in cash.

As a result of his outsmarting the board, the producers added sixteen more patterns and the network set a $75, 000 cap on winnings. What did he do with his money? Larson spent his entire earnings in less than two years. Larson, who was later interviewed by the FBI for his alleged involvement with unsecured securities dealings, died in 1999 of cancer in Florida while on the run from the SEC.

The documentary, BIG BUCKS, NO WHAMMYS: THE MICHAEL LARSON SCANDAL is being executive produced by Termite Art Productions (MTV’s “Celebrity Undercover,” “Unsolved History”) for Game Show Network.

A GSN Press Release
And here's a link to some clips of the episode:

http://gscentral.net/larsen.htm

I hope they show the episodes before or after the documentary.
Old 02-16-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
When it getting close to airdate, remember to bump this thread up at the time.
Old 02-22-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are the links to the press releases:

Full press release
Full press release in PDF Format

The special will include the episodes which have not been seen since their original airing in 1984.
Old 03-05-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Sunday is starting to get pretty crowded. BBCAmerica has a mini-series that starts that night, as does Children of Dune.

Good thing cable plays stuff over and over and......
Old 03-05-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
How is this a "scandal?" I mean, they even note in the article that he did nothing illegal.
Old 03-05-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see how this would work as a feature film. The documentary should be ok, but I feel I pretty much know the whole story from reading the article. I definitely wouldn't call it a scandal.
Old 03-05-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I'll definitely Tivo it and give it a chance, but two hours seems really long for this.
Old 03-05-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh cmon..this would make a great movie.
Old 03-05-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by juiio
I'll definitely Tivo it and give it a chance, but two hours seems really long for this.
Well, the two hours includes the 2 episodes themselves. So, it's really just 2 episodes + 1 hour of interviews/documentary.
Old 03-05-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great story! Can't wait to see the movie
Old 03-05-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this in a poll (didn't see this thread when I did! That's what I get for being off the boards for a couple days!), but here is more on Michael Larson for those who want to read more about him.

That article I linked to used to have something about a movie being planned about the "scandal" following the success of Quiz Show. Bill Murray was slated to play the role of Michael Larson. It would be nice to see, but will probably remain in development hell, but hopefully the documentary will stir interest in this again.

And they haven't aired these episodes in 20 years. God bless the Game Show Network!
Old 03-06-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally posted by SunMonkey
How is this a "scandal?" I mean, they even note in the article that he did nothing illegal.
It's all they have to generate interest, besides the "In the butt, Bob" story.
Old 03-12-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is already set up on my PVR.
Old 03-16-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bump.
Old 03-16-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

They are repeating this a lot of times this week (including tonight at midnight) in case you have a viewing or recording conflict.
Old 03-16-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the episodes, I couldn't care less about the documentary. What could they possibly say? "Yeah, he saw a pattern to the gameboards and lights, so he memorized them."

Honk!
Old 03-16-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember when I first saw the commercial I couldn't tell if it was real. a lot of times GMS shows those over the top dramatic commercials, as if game shows were life threatening or something.
Old 03-16-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this sucks - we dont get the GSN here. damnit.
Old 03-16-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog <small>They are repeating this a lot of times this week (including tonight at midnight) in case you have a viewing or recording conflict.</small>
Here's a few times for BIG BUCKS: THE PRESS YOUR LUCK SCANDAL
SUN 9PM-11PM, MON 12AM-2AM, 9PM-11PM, TUES 12AM-2AM
Old 03-17-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just checking to see if anyone would want to purchase this on DVD if GSN released it?

It would, of course, include the 2 hour documentary.

Along with some extras:

1. The 2 original uncut 1984 television shows
2. Deleted segments from the documentary
3. Michael Larson's interviews (The Today Show and another???) from 1994 describing the
show and how he did it
4. Any pre-show taping stuff (auditions??) of Larson
5. A clip or perhaps show (Pilot) of the 1977 predecesor to "Press Your Luck" "Second Chance"
(assuming GSN could get ABC to agree)

Would anyone else buy? BTW, what are some other ideas for extras
Old 03-17-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by diesteldorf

BTW, what are some other ideas for extras [/B]
All of the Whammy sequences!
Old 03-17-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bigjim25
Here's a few times for BIG BUCKS: THE PRESS YOUR LUCK SCANDAL
SUN 9PM-11PM, MON 12AM-2AM, 9PM-11PM, TUES 12AM-2AM
Good, it's on more than once!
Old 03-17-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks like Peter put on some weight.

Pretty amazing what he did. It is not enough to memorize the 5 different patterns. You have to have extremely good hand-eye coordination as well.
Old 03-17-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like his scheme to win the radio contest by matching the serial number.

Pretty cool show.
Old 03-17-03, 10:24 AM

I can't believe the one executive guy who said "As soon as I saw him I was suspicious. I didn't want him to be a contestant on the show. I knew he was up to something."

Right! What a pompous jag! Yep, you're right buddy, you were the ONE person who sensed that this ice cream man was up to something. Give me a break.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.