Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres the web page for the newest from Christopher Guest, A Mighty Wind... its looks like its about a folk singer reunion. Judging from the trailer it looks like its going to be hilarious

http://amightywindonline.warnerbros.com/
Old 02-12-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I was really excited about this when I saw it in EW's Spring Movie Preview, I hadn't heard about it before. It almost sounds like a quasi-sequel to Spinal Tap!

Frankly anything from the Best Of Show/Waiting for Guffman team, I'm there. Can't wait to see what they've done now.
Old 02-12-03, 11:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not only does this feel like a quasi-sequel to Spinal Tap, when Spinal Tap went on tour a year ago, The Folksmen opened for them! They were hilarious. My friends felt they actually upstaged Tap themselves, but I wasn't so sure. When I heard they were making a movie based on this, a busted a gut just thinking about what they could do, and have been waiting impatiently for it ever since.
Old 02-12-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man, I can't wait. Great to see Harry Shearer back with the gang. These guys have really perfected the mockumentary.

Fred Willard
Old 02-13-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been really looking forward to this flick, the trailer is quite funny... I think this movie will be brilliant...

MATT
Old 02-21-03, 06:44 PM

From the thread title, I thought Christopher Guest had some sort of gas problem. Glad to hear he's ok...
Old 03-17-03, 08:36 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
This looks great. Trailer up at apple.com

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/a_mighty_wind.html
Old 03-17-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cant wait to see it! i love guests' work. always hilarious especially since his movies seem to touch home for me (my dad teaches theatre and has been involved in community theater his whole life, i grew up in it. my aunt used to breed and show dogs).
Old 04-27-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Does anyone know when this movie is opening wide? It's one of the movies that I've been waiting for most this year. This is one of the few times that I wish I lived in DC again.
Old 04-27-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A Mighty Wind opens wide on May 9th.

Now just a warning...lower your expectations... if you do, then maybe you'll really enjoy it.

I unfortunately had high expectations and hopes for the film and it bitterly disappointed me. It had some very funny and winning moments...but the moments were few and far between. By far Guest and Levy's weakest effort to date, the film takes a far to sentimental and sweet view of it's subject matter, so it becomes an exercise in nostalgia rather than comedy. The movie is sweet and sacarine, rather than funny and biting...

The songs are decent, but overall it was very disappointing...approach with caution.

MATT
Old 04-28-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cannot wait to see this!
Old 04-28-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
A Mighty Wind opens wide on May 9th.

Now just a warning...lower your expectations... if you do, then maybe you'll really enjoy it.

I unfortunately had high expectations and hopes for the film and it bitterly disappointed me. It had some very funny and winning moments...but the moments were few and far between. By far Guest and Levy's weakest effort to date, the film takes a far to sentimental and sweet view of it's subject matter, so it becomes an exercise in nostalgia rather than comedy. The movie is sweet and sacarine, rather than funny and biting...

The songs are decent, but overall it was very disappointing...approach with caution.

MATT
Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

I thought it was one of their strongest efforts. I enjoyed it more than Best in Show, but not as much as Guffman.

The music they are "parodying" is sweet and sacharine, so I felt the tone of the movie was dead on. They managed to both poke fun and pay tribute to the "folk music scene" and it totally worked.

Eugene Levy steals the show. He manages to play sad, sweet and kinda creepy all at once. I felt for him throughout the film. And he has a really lovely voice, which completely surprised me.

The songs were great, the performances were great, the humor was great. Totally recommended.
Old 04-28-03, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better than Best in Show but nowhere near the brilliance of Guffman. My biggest complaint is the lack of music. There is really only 3 or 4 songs and you only get to hear one in its entirety because they cut around. I prefered Guffman's finnally where you got to hear all the musical numbers. The film has only a few laugh out loud moments. It's more endearing than funny.

Like Best in Show, Fred Willard steals the show in what is his funniest performance in both films.
Old 04-28-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wha' Happened?!

I thought it was on par with Guffman and Best in Show. But yeah, I thought all three of the folk groups had their look and performance down brillaintly---I wanted a lot more of all of them just doing their hilarious songs. I wanted to see ALL of the "Skeletons of Quinto". Hopefully the DVD will give us a lot more concert footage.
Old 04-29-03, 11:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Even at only 87 minutes in length, I thought the movie kind of dragged. The guy two rows in front of me was having way too much fun, I thought he was going to pop a neck vein from all the laughing. When compared to Guffman, and Best in Show, this one rounds out to my third favourite.
Old 04-29-03, 06:24 PM

Wha Happened?
Old 05-10-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anybody go see this over the May 9 weekend?
It didn't do too bad for being on 700 or so screens
I think $3.5 million.

I liked Best In Show better than Guffman.
Old 05-10-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This will be the first of these movies that I completely avoid. I've never liked any of them - not even Spinal Tap. For a minute there, I thought I liked Guffman, but then I realized that I didn't. I just don't think these films are funny at all. I'm sure it's just me.
Old 05-12-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I saw this and was extremely disappointed.

It dragged on and just wasn't that funny.

Eugene Levy's character was a one-trick pony the whole film
and it got old after a few minutes (although one group of people
thought he was funny every time he did this tired routine)

The movie is a good idea but IMO it was just not done very well.

Best In Show remains my favorite Guest movie.
Old 05-12-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
This was so boring and slow. Fred Willard's character was funny and some of the New Main Street Singers stuff was funny, especially the main wife-husband duo, but overall this was really weak. I dozed off twice.
Old 05-12-03, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw it this weekend, and while I did really enjoy it, it wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as the previous Guest movies. Not to say that's a bad thing necessarily. The music was great, and there was a warmth to the picture which I enjoyed.

The pros: great songs, a few genuine belly laughs, Fred Willard is priceless whenever he is captured on celluloid, and Parker Posey continues to give me the hot.

The cons: fans of the previous films might be let down as it's not as rapid-fire funny as the previous films; Eugene Levy, a tremendously talented and funny guy, is annoying in this movie
Old 05-12-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rank this one 4th behind Guff, Show and Spinal. Nowhere near as good as Guffman, but that movie is quite possibly the funniest movie I've ever seen. I have high expectations with Guest movies.
Old 05-15-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

I thought it was one of their strongest efforts. I enjoyed it more than Best in Show, but not as much as Guffman.

The music they are "parodying" is sweet and sacharine, so I felt the tone of the movie was dead on. They managed to both poke fun and pay tribute to the "folk music scene" and it totally worked.

Eugene Levy steals the show. He manages to play sad, sweet and kinda creepy all at once. I felt for him throughout the film. And he has a really lovely voice, which completely surprised me.

The songs were great, the performances were great, the humor was great. Totally recommended.
I couldn't agree more....although i must admit to getting a tad tired of Levy's schtick in this one....his singing was tremendous though. I must say that Bob Balaban was ten times funnier than Fred Willard....although funny, Willard was by far the most "annoying" character.

The Funniest, although only seen briefly, was once again Jennifer Coolidge.........she is absolutely fantastically hilarious. "Model Trains are great!!"
Old 05-16-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by brizz
The Funniest, although only seen briefly, was once again Jennifer Coolidge.........she is absolutely fantastically hilarious. "Model Trains are great!!"
Oh my! Why wasn't her character used in this movie more? She really was the funniest part of the movie. Willard's character was annoying, but that "Wha' Happening" thing was funny and I would have enjoyed seeing him around more as well.
Old 05-16-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed this film. My favorite line was from the wonderful Jennifer Coolidge regarding trains.

She was definitely underused in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.