Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the big deal over "My Big Fat Greek Wedding "?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know what the big deal over this movie is?
Old 02-10-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I just saw it this weekend. Had high expectations for it and would say they were easily surpassed. There is NO buzz and are no spoilers for this movie from any ad campaigns which was good... all the jokes were fresh. The entire theater was howling with laughter.

Basically the 'big deal" is that the movie is genuinely funny for any age group (i.e. EVERYONE has something to laugh at in this movie). The broad target audience makes this film a natural for getting good word of mouth... you can take your daughter, wife, mother or your grandmother to this and they'd probably enjoy it.

I, for one, was glad to see a comedy that didn't go the "potty humor" route for once. I mean I really liked American Pie but there are so many bad gross-out and juvenile comedies around now (see Just Married) that are just crap. This film was clever and amusing. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 02-10-03, 04:36 PM

it's PG
Old 02-10-03, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much.

It's just "must see TV" in 35mm and on a big screen. But in a world where Friends is the #1 comedy show on TV it doesn't surprise me that Big Fat would be the #1 comedy at the box office

Last edited by Pants; 02-10-03 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-10-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Have you seen that awful commercial where the Greek family is standing behind the guy in the video store who is contemplating what to rent? I've only seen it once but it really irritates me. Its one thing to be the "#1 Grossing romantic comedy of all time" and its another thing to beat me over the head with it. Modesty is usually a more powerful tool sometimes.

SPY
Old 02-10-03, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bothanspy
Have you seen that awful commercial where the Greek family is standing behind the guy in the video store who is contemplating what to rent? I've only seen it once but it really irritates me. Its one thing to be the "#1 Grossing romantic comedy of all time" and its another thing to beat me over the head with it. Modesty is usually a more powerful tool sometimes.

SPY
yes. that's why I made this thread as that ad irritates me too!
Old 02-10-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's just one of the multitude of threads I found about the movie by running a search:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....=Greek+Wedding
Old 02-12-03, 07:24 PM
Banned

ohhh, so its the "IN" thing now to bash the film.

Give me a break. Go bash movies like Kangaroo Jack but this is a really good movie about Family and Love.

Hell you didnt even say why you didnt like the movie?

Are you really in need of that much attention to start a whole thread about a movie that tons of people went to see and liked?
Old 02-12-03, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cooper2000
ohhh, so its the "IN" thing now to bash the film.

Give me a break. Go bash movies like Kangaroo Jack but this is a really good movie about Family and Love.

Hell you didnt even say why you didnt like the movie?

Are you really in need of that much attention to start a whole thread about a movie that tons of people went to see and liked?
I'm not bashing it. i just want to know why this movie is the "IN" thing at the moment.
Old 02-12-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally didn't like it at all. It felt like Meet the Parents, but the jokes weren't funny to me. I personally don't understand the hype behind this movie.
Old 02-12-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It was a movie that had great word of mouth and in every sense of the word it has Legs to walk on. Enjoyable and very much something you would like to share with anyone else who likes film.

not to mention it came from virtually no where.
Old 02-13-03, 02:37 PM
Suspended pending providing a good e-mail address to [email protected]

I didn't think it was a bad film, but when I watched it earlier this week, I was expecting more. But that's usually how it goes. People balked at Waterworld and when I finally saw it, I liked it quite a bit. They say this is the greatest movie and when I saw it, it was OK, but it didn't meet my expectations. As far as romantic comedies that deal in fantasy and absurdity, this is not my favorite by far.

Being married to an immigrant person, I only wish it was as simple and comical as that movie. Unfortunately, real life is so different. Maybe that's why so many people liked it. The movie is so full of stereotypes and they have no real experiences to compare it to that they come away liking it so much.

Last edited by shaggycat; 02-13-03 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm getting it in the mail this week and look forward to watching it this weekend....

we'll see what I think about it.
Old 02-13-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was OK. Not even close to the top of my fave romcom list though.
Old 02-13-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A-STOOD-D-OB-BLO........
Old 02-13-03, 10:24 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I haven't seen it, but based on what I know about it specifically and movies generally, very few movies are targeted towards adults that don't insult their intelligence and wring them out emotionally. Usually, either movies are too dumb to be endured or too much work for the casual moviegoer to take. MBFGW is neither. It's a movie for adults that actually makes sense and is populated with "real" people, but won't take them on an emotional rollercoaster ride like The Hours, The Pianist, or Far From Heaven, or make them think too hard like Mulholland Drive and Memento.
Old 02-15-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend is wondering if this movie somehow came out a few years ago in limited release or something. When watching it tonight, he SWORE that he saw certain parts of it a few years ago on HBO. He would actually say what's about to happen in a scene so it wasn't deja vu or anything. Any thougths?
Old 02-15-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me the big deal is that although I managed to skip out of seeing it with my girlfriend in the theater, it's going coming out on DVD soon, so it will be an unavoidable torture.

I hate romantic comedies.
Old 02-15-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I saw it last night and just was kind of "meh" about it. It wasn't bad, but neither did it really grab me. It struck me a lot like one of those mid'1980s movies starring Molly Ringwald or something. It doesnt surprise me that it's going to become a sitcom now because that's basically what it was to start with. I think the TRUE secret of its success as others have said is that it's a PG, inoffensive family film. That's good and bad. I have nothing against movies that are family-friendly but then again I've seen dozens of movies that also were that were more engaging than MBFGW. "Family friendly" doesn't need to mean bland to me and somehow that's the impression I was left with my "Wedding" -- it was 'cute,' but it just wasn't my cup of tea. It'll be curious to see if the studios can duplicate its success or if it was just one of those once in a blue moon fads (which I think is more likely).
Old 02-16-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There were some clever parts to it, but it was almost as if the Greek family were The Addams Family the way they were so out of touch with something that wasn't in their Greek realm.

Also, are you telling me that with all those cousins and other relatives, she was the first person in the family to date a non-Greek? Maybe if this were the 1950's.

Honk!
Old 02-17-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I saw it last nite and I hated it. The family really annoyed me.
Old 02-17-03, 12:49 PM

I took my wife a couple of weeks ago, and we loved it. For one thing, we saw several parallels with our real Greek friends... almost scary, actually, how close the movie was to the truth. I like the way it wasn't formulaic... for instance, there wasn't some last-minute angst over the bride or groom getting cold feet, or some stupid misunderstanding that almost derails the wedding, or... (I could go on and on...). I liked the way the groom's friend asks him if he's going to miss all the freedom of being single, then basically answers his own question in a way that says maybe single life isn't so hot. To me, this movie was more 'real' than many I have seen over the years, and yet it was still funny, and as others have mentioned, it didn't have to stoop to vulgarity to get the laughs. I liked the fact that I can recommend this movie to anyone, including my rather conservative parents, without worrying about something offending them. All in all, I take my hat off to any movie that can make me laugh, REALLY laugh, so consistently, and keep my attention, and be so 'clean'. I think "Princess Bride" was the last such film I saw, and that was a while ago.
Old 02-17-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw the DVD last night, don't think I laughed once.

It is fluf, so if that is what you want then you will be pleased, otherwise pretty mundane.

But hey it has to be good, it has a member of Nsync in it.
Old 02-18-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

This month's Film Comment had the best line about MBFGW:

"In a world filled with comedies for braindead teenagers, finally a film for braindead 50 year olds."
Old 02-18-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Pants
This month's Film Comment had the best line about MBFGW:

"In a world filled with comedies for braindead teenagers, finally a film for braindead 50 year olds."

great quote.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.