Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nominees For The 23rd Annual Razzies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

By DAVID GERMAIN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Voters for the Razzies, an annual spoof of the Academy Awards, have a message for Britney Spears and Madonna: Don't quit your day jobs as pop divas.

Spears' teen buddy flick "Crossroads" had a leading eight Razzie nominations and Madonna's island-romance bomb "Swept Away" received seven, including worst picture and worst actress for both movies.

"Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones," also received seven nominations, among them worst picture and director for George Lucas, creator of the sci-fi saga.

The other worst-picture contenders are Eddie Murphy's sci-fi comedy "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" and Roberto Benigni's live-action version of "Pinocchio."

Nominees for the 23rd annual Razzies, organized by the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation, were to be announced Monday, a day before Oscar nominations. Razzie "winners" will be announced March 22, the eve of the Oscar ceremony.

Madonna personally had four nominations: Worst actress for "Swept Away," directed by her husband, Guy Ritchie (a nominee for worst director and worst screenplay); worst screen couple, paired with Adriano Giannini in "Swept Away"; worst supporting actress for the James Bond adventure "Die Another Day"; and worst song for the "Die Another Day" title tune, which she co-wrote.

What was so bad about "Swept Away," a remake of a 1975 Italian film about a rich snob stranded on an island with a handsome sailor?

"What wasn't?" said Razzies founder John Wilson. "It's a really awful remake of a highly regarded movie. I think it's the most blatant example of the fact that Madonna simply cannot act. It's as though she decided she's going to be a movie star and will keep inflicting these movies on us till we cry uncle. But this one may finally end her film career."

Madonna previously received four worst-actress Razzies for such movies as "Shanghai Surprise" and "Who's That Girl?" The Razzies also named her worst actress of the 20th century.

Spears, whose pop-queen career arc has drawn comparisons to Madonna's, also could continue her predecessor's tradition of bad acting, Wilson said.

"Britney Spears is a Madonna wannabe," Wilson said. "Madonna is on the outs, and Britney could be picking up the torch, or the spear, perhaps."

Besides Madonna and Spears, worst-actress nominees are Angelina Jolie for "Life or Something Like It"; Jennifer Lopez for "Enough" and "Maid in Manhattan"; and Winona Ryder for "Mr. Deeds."

Benigni was nominated in the actor, director and screenplay categories for "Pinocchio." Other worst-actor contenders are Giannini for "Swept Away"; Eddie Murphy for "Pluto Nash,""I Spy" and "Showtime"; Steven Seagal for "Half Past Dead"; and Adam Sandler for "Adam Sandler's 8 Crazy Nights" and "Mr. Deeds."

The Razzies added a new category, most flatulent teen-targeted movie, meant to "dishonor the often moronic movies Hollywood is forever aiming at the acne-and-braces set." Nominees are "Adam Sandler's 8 Crazy Nights,""Crossroads,""Jackass: The Movie,""Scooby-Doo" and "XXX."

Nice choices.
Old 02-10-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, this is one awards show where everything is done right.
Old 02-10-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how Lucas feels (if at all) about his nominations.

It didn't bother Madonna before, it certainly won't now. She's going to have her cosmically proportioned ego fed at any cost by appearing in more films before she needs a walker...and probably even then...

As for Britney, I'll look for Crossroads to be placed alongside this at the video store soon enough:

Is it worthy of such lofty companionship?
Old 02-10-03, 03:31 PM
Banned

Re: Nominees For The 23rd Annual Razzies

Originally posted by Chad

"Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones," also received seven nominations, among them worst picture and director for George Lucas, creator of the sci-fi saga.

What? Clones worst picture? I thought this was one of the better films of the year.This is one bad choice.
But then again who cares about these people's opinions.
Old 02-10-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Re: Nominees For The 23rd Annual Razzies

Originally posted by Amadeus
What? Clones worst picture? I thought this was one of the better films of the year.This is one bad choice.
But then again who cares about these people's opinions.
I agree but thats now how the Razzies work:

Its not about how bad a movie was. Its about the shock value of picking a huge money making release as worst picture. If the Razzies actually went through every movie released in 2002 they could easily find 50 films worse then AOTC.
Old 02-10-03, 03:42 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Nominees For The 23rd Annual Razzies

Originally posted by Goat3001

Its not about how bad a movie was. Its about the shock value of picking a huge money making release as worst picture. If the Razzies actually went through every movie released in 2002 they could easily find 50 films worse then AOTC.
Old 02-10-03, 04:33 PM

I remember last year Tom Green actually picked his awards. Then he was on Conan which was a total riot
Probably a one time thing...oh well it was fun though.
Old 02-10-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder how Lucas feels (if at all) about his nominations.
Laughing all the way to the bank to the tune of 4 billion dollars.
Old 02-10-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I completely agree with the entire list.

Even the nods for Attack of the Clowns.
Old 02-10-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gcomeau
I remember last year Tom Green actually picked his awards. Then he was on Conan which was a total riot
I seem to recall Paul Verhoeven picking his up for Showgirls.

Good sport.
Old 02-10-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Terrell
Laughing all the way to the bank to the tune of 4 billion dollars.
And that, my friends, sums up everything that has gone wrong with the Star Wars franchise.
Old 02-10-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the idea of picking Star Wars as worst movie. It gets my vote
Old 02-10-03, 07:00 PM
Banned

It looks like this may turn into another Star Wars/Lucas Bashing thread, so let's get back on topic.
Old 02-10-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Amadeus
It looks like this may turn into another Star Wars/Lucas Bashing thread, so let's get back on topic.
What do you think the Razzie's are?
Old 02-10-03, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by conscience
What do you think the Razzie's are?
Ahh, good point ol' chap.
Old 02-10-03, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Gcomeau
Well, I wouldn't say it was a one time thing... he could make another movie, you know. Freddy Got Fingered Again, anyone?
Old 02-10-03, 10:38 PM

To late to nominate Darkness Falls? Damn
Old 02-10-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Numanoid
And that, my friends, sums up everything that has gone wrong with the Star Wars franchise.
Funny, I don't read anywhere in that statement on how the fans complain too much, as one of the problems with the star wars franchise.

though I think you are on to something about them picking things for shock value. Though it wasn't a great movie, it was most enjoyable.
Old 02-10-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AOTC - worst movie? I think the "Lucas raped my childhood" fanboys must be running the Razzies.

Where's "Men In Black II?" That certainly fell WAY short of expectation.

Maybe even "Kung Pow! Enter The Fist?"

But I have to say that they're right on about the other nominations.
Old 02-11-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where's Ballistic? Anybody think they're picking on Madonna a little too much? Supporting worst actress? Now that's nitpicking.
Old 02-11-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Oooh, Ballistic should have been on the list. Soo many to list. shock factor indeed
Old 02-11-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe! But I'd argue that whiny, bitchy, loser fanboys who are so anal, picky, and obssessed with the films are the only problem with Star Wars. The most pathetic fanbase of any movie in history. Why should Lucas give a damn about something that's a complete farce in the first place? Lucas made the film he wanted. He didn't hold a gun to your head and force you to like it.

The razzies are a joke. Always have been. Ecks vs. Sever got a 0% on RT.com and it's not on the list but AOTC is? They do it for publicity, for shock value in order to get noticed. Otherwise nobody of any real importance gives them the time of day.

Last edited by Terrell; 02-11-03 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-11-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
The most pathetic fanbase of any movie in history.
Old 02-11-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I have no problem with AOTC being nominated for a Razzie. While it wasn't the worst film of the year, I think the Razzies are more about how disappointing a film is compared to the talent, stars, budget and hype involved.
Old 02-11-03, 09:46 AM

So when is Madonna going to get the lifetime achievement Razzie? She's bad in everything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.