Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

quake 3 for dreamcast

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quake 3 for dreamcast

well, i was thinking about picking up a dreamcast to play games like quake 3 on my home theater instead of my pc.

how does the Dreamcast measure up when compared to the PC version? or the PS2 version of quake 3?

is it worth picking up a dreamcast to play some of the FPS that did not make it to the xBox?
Old 02-10-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say the PS2 version is better than the DC, the frame rate is smoother, and the use of two analogs makes the game easier to play. The PC version is also obviously better. I really don't think you should pick up a DC just for Quake III, but it is still worth picking up for the amazing library of games available.
Old 02-10-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would go for the DC version. You can get a DC keyboard and mouse very cheap. Beats the analog controller for sure. I don't know if you can still play online or not.
Old 02-10-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i was thinking about getting a DC and picking up the following games:
quake 3
unreal
roque spear
soldier of fortune
Old 02-10-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are a FPS fan, I'd say go for it.

One cool thing - I had the PC version and when the DC version came out they slipped a map pack onto the internet that would allow PC and DC to play with eachother. It's been officially made available now, but it was so cool to run a server off my PC and play with my DC friends.

Saying that, I don't know if it's a big deal whether the servers are up or not, because you can always just start up your own on the PC and have your friends connect directly to your PC's IP address. If you don't have a copy of Q3A you can always get one cheap - I got the UNIX tin for $10 and it works with Windows just fine with a little tweaking (there are guides on the net that tell you how to do this). AFAIK, you CAN'T do this with Unreal.

FYI, pick up a DC mouse and keyboard for Q3A, UT and SoF, since they all support it. Best controller config around for those games. Rogue Spear does not support the mouse/keyboard.

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 02-10-03 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-10-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pity the fool who uses a dreamcast Vs. a PC player.....
Old 02-10-03, 10:45 PM

to get a DC to play those games is a waste of a perfectly good console. consider hooking your PC to your HT instead.
Old 02-10-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by RoQuEr
I pity the fool who uses a dreamcast Vs. a PC player.....
Word. Quake was made for a PC and with the right graphics card it just Owns all.
Old 02-10-03, 10:53 PM

I'd have to say, it's really, really bad. I'm a big Dreamcast and PC FPS fan, but FPS on the Dreamcast are unplayable. I've got Quake III, UT, and Soldier of Fortune for my DC, and none of them have gotten more than two minutes of play.

THAT BEING SAID, don't miss out on the Dreamcast. There are so many fun 4-player games it's unbelievable. The ultimate 4-player system, IMO.
Old 02-11-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mister Beefhead

THAT BEING SAID, don't miss out on the Dreamcast. There are so many fun 4-player games it's unbelievable. The ultimate 4-player system, IMO.

Really? Like what games? I would say that nintendo systems have better 4-player games, like mario party, mario tennis, smash bros, bond games. If there are many good 4-player games on DC i would like to know, since i have one and never really considered it a great 4-player machine.
Old 02-11-03, 01:59 AM

There's other threads on that I'm sure, but top notch 4 player games off the top of my head powerstone 2, virtua tennis, ooga booga, and chu chu rocket would be the best ones. Then you've got the standards, bomberman, NBA jam, looney tunes racing, and even those FPS that aren't as good as the PC versions are just as good as bond. Nintendo has good ones too though, I'm not arguing that. Even DOA2 is fun in four player.