Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Bad Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The Bad Plus?

The latest Esquire magazine gave the upcoming album by the Bad Plus an extremely positive review. The guy who wrote it said that it made him love jazz again. I've never heard the group and can't seem to find any song samples on the web. What're they like?

I'm interested in hearing its take on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Heart of Glass." Given that this disc is moderately priced ($10-12), I may have to pick it up tomorrow - if I can find it.
Old 02-11-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I'd never heard of this disc before I saw your post, but it sounds like something I'd like. I may have to check these guys out. There's plenty of good, new jazz being made by younger artists right now. Among my favorite artists:

Charlie Hunter (who is also guitarist for Garage a Trois)
Stanton Moore (who is also drummer for Galactic and Garage a Trois. Galactic's more funk than jazz though.)
Sex Mob
Robert Walter's 20th Congress
Medeski Martin & Wood
Soulive
Old 02-11-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I went to Circuit City, Media Play and Borders looking for this disc today, to no avail. I may just go ahead and order it through deepdiscountcd.com, since it's only $10.77 there. Still haven't found any sound samples (or full lenght songs, for that matter).

Gdrlv, I'm not too much into contemporary jazz, but that's mostly my fault for not seeking it out. Granted, most of the new stuff I hear at record store sound stations is of the variety I detest - "smooth jazz." Ugh. Anyway, I'll have to look into your suggestions.
Old 02-11-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Believe me, these artists are far from smooth jazz (which I'm sure I detest as much as you). Of the artists I listed above, the best places to start would be:

"All Kooked Out!" by Stanton Moore
"Combustication" or "Uninvisible" by Medeski Martin & Wood
"Next" by Soulive (which features Black Thought from the Roots, Talib Kweli and Dave Matthews)
"Songs from the Analog Playground" by Charlie Hunter (which features Norah Jones and Mos Def)
Old 02-11-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I finally found some sound samples at Sony's site (duh - I should've looked there first). For anyone interested, you can get them here.

Having listened to five minutes (a la the ten samples) of the album, I'm picking this one up.

I should add that the band covers an Aphex Twin song ("Flim")!
Old 02-12-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gdrlv - I just reserved all of your recommendations at the library (except it didn't have "All Kooked Out" so I opted for "Flyin the Koop"). Thanks.
Old 02-25-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Bad Plus CD shipped today. Can't wait to get it.

Gdrlv - I went to the library today and picked up my reserves: Stanton Moore, Soulive, and Medeski Martin and Wood (and a couple of Sinatra discs). I have some listening ahead of me for the next few days.