Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"In the Mood for Love" Criterion Collection vs. Hong Kong Special Edition

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to buy a "special edition" version of Wong Kar-wai's In the Mood for Love. I know Criterion has a nice two disc set, but I also hear that there is a nice special edition from a Hong Kong manufacturer.

Does anyone have an opinion have an opinion on which is better? Are they both worth owning?
Old 02-06-03, 12:50 PM
Cool New Member

...also keep the fact that I only speak English in mind if you have a recommendation.
Old 02-06-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I only have the Criterion version, so I can't compare it to any other versions, but I'm completely happy with it. Great transfer, and all the extras I could possibly want (except possibly for a directors commentary). As far as I'm concerned, its the definitive DVD of the film, so if you really like the film, you should be completely happy with it.
Just my two cents.
Old 02-06-03, 06:39 PM

Another vote for the criterion edition, I paid $28 for my copy (picked it up with Palahniuks' book 'choke') to save on shipping, but yes it is well worth it, nice breakdown of the scenes and soundtrack, plus I don't recall the HK release having english subs on the special.... BUt I do hear that the French release is also good.....

Hell just buy the criterion one and enjoy, you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-06-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

not only is the French release good but in my opinion has a much better quality as far as picture and transfer are concerned. I was able to observe in detail a French PAL copy in Chicago on a progressive scan 16/9 TV and the picture definitely looked much more solid on the French disc. However I would recommend the Criterion edition for the rather more natural look of the colors (and of course extras). You could compare the extras on the two R1 and R2 versions either by using CINESTORE or DVDFR

For such minor differencies however I believe that the R1 Criterion edition should be considered better if you live in the US/Canada.
Old 02-07-03, 10:18 AM

Avoid all of the Hong Kong versions.... poor encoding and color blooms...

The Criterion is the best, followed closely by the French and UK (Tartan's 2nd version) releases.

If you want a cheap alernative that has barely any extras, the Canadian Seville release is very good.

J.T.
Old 02-07-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

JTKV.....let me say this one more time.....the only reason I placed Criterion as being #1 IS BECAUSE I ASSUME THAT THE GUY LIVES RIGHT HERE IN THE STATES!!

Otherwise....the French disc seems to be much better!!
Old 02-08-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rewind's opinion:
http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=1538

OVERALL : Draw - Between the Region 2 Special Editions for the sheer amount of extras (Note - the TFI/French version has the best packaging) or the Region 1 Criterion Edition as it has been confirmed by more than one person to have a noticeably superior picture (the colours, particularly greens seem more vibrant. The image does seem to be slightly zoomed in compared with the R2 but this doesn't affect the composition) & sound quality, although the Region 2 Special Editions do have very nice picture & sound too.

The choice is yours, depending which is higher on your DVD priority List.

All Region 2 Special Editions are the same except for packaging. Of the THREE Special Edition, different versions (TFI, Criterion & Mei Ah) all have different extras so there is no definitive version.

Lastly except for the Mei Ah Special Edition (which reports state doesn't have a very good picture) all other DVD's mentioned here, have the subtitles mentioned above for ALL extras too.
Old 02-08-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I can not disagree more with DVDCOMPARE as I personally had the chance to compare the 2 dvds and the French disc does look a bit better. However I believe that they are correct (as I stated before) that the difference is so tiny that where you live(R?) should determine which disc you will be getiing!
Old 02-09-03, 10:12 AM
Cool New Member

Well, it looks like Criterion is the one for me. Thanks for all the help, guys.

And thanks for the link to dvdcompare, garmonbozia...Pretty cool site.
Old 02-09-03, 10:34 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Oh brother. French disc is not better. Transfer is inferior and the MPEG2 encoding is VASTLY inferior. There is simply no comparison. Any large screen will show the difference. The Criterion is the best.
Old 02-10-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have both the Criterion and the TF1 French version - best transfer is definitely the Criterion. But TF1's extras are a slight bit more interesting (sans In the Mood for Love 2001).
Old 02-10-03, 03:29 PM

Just out of interest, can anyone report on the quality of the Korean 2 disc release of In the Mood for Love? I am really keen on getting the tin, but not if it means getting an inferior quality transfer.
Old 02-10-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't seen the Korean version - just the original HK version (suck) and the French version (kicks so much ass) - but Korean DVDs are typically really top-notch quality. Outstanding transfers with amazing sound and nice options... the extras are usually not subtitled in English, but they usually go all out on the packages. In general, I like Korean DVDs more than American ones.
Old 01-23-05, 03:20 PM

What's the final word on Mei Ah's new remastered version? Is it a port of the French set?

Anyone seen the 2-disc? I already have the Criterion, but I'd like to know if this is worth picking up in addition.
Old 01-24-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sanjuro:

If you have the Criterion then you do not need anything else....If you are looking for the French transfer (for some reason)...then track down the French disc. Period!!

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 01-24-05, 07:58 PM

I doubt it's important by now but dvdbeaver compared the two sets.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...oodforlove.htm

The French DVD seems slightly more detailed, but I prefer the colours on the CC DVD. I have the Criterion and I love it.
Old 01-27-05, 05:22 AM

I have the UK Tartan disc, image quality is extremely strong. I made the chice over Criterion, because of the info I saw/analyzed on DVDBeaver (which I don't know is still operating).

The colors are very vibrant in the UK release. I don't think the 2-disc TF1 is available (at least easily).

I believe that Criterion might have better compression, but the colors (per an interview with Christopher Doyle) are supposed to be "extra."

So take your pick on what the film makers intended -- that's probably always best.