Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bryan Adams

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Bryan Adams

I don't know about others here, but I despise Adams's later movie soundtrack stuff. His early '80s albums are his best work. These are my favs of those that I know. Feel free to add comments or lists of your own.

Songs:
1) The Best Was Yet to Come
2) Straight from the Heart
3) Lonely Nights
4) Heaven
5) Summer of '69
6) One Night Love Affair
7) Coming Home
-This Time
-You Want it, You Got it
-Cuts Like a Knife
-Somebody
-Ain't Gonna Cry
-Don't Look Now
-Last Chance
-No One Makes it Right
-She's Only Happy When She's Dancin'
-Jealousy

Albums:
1) Reckless (1984)
2) You Want it, You Got it (1981)
3) Cuts Like a Knife (1983)
Old 02-07-03, 10:48 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd go even earlier than that for one of my favorite tracks:

Fits You Good
Old 02-07-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
His new greatest hits CD (The Best of Me) is utter crap and cut out some big hits. If you need a good Best Of, find "So Far So Good"
Old 02-07-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am forever saddled with the heinous memory of Bryan Adams' "Heaven" being my senior high school prom theme.

Played from a 45 RPM single on a 20 year old record player broadcast over the school loudspeaker system. Dammit.

If we'd just swayed two more votes to our "benevolent anarchists" party, that prom theme woulda been "Swamp" by the Talking Heads.

But nooooo - the "smoking tree" contingent had to stick together and vote the obligatory "Stairway to Heaven." Oh the damage nicotine hath wrought.

Not that I'm holding a grudge some few years on or anything.

Old 02-07-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

JAA: "Fits Ya Good" is on You Want it, You Got it (1981). I know there's an earlier self-titled album though.

Guess Who: Maybe I should have a look at So Far, So Good, but, if it includes crap like "Everything I Do...", I'll take a pass.

grunter: Hey, "Heaven" is a nice ballad. I like it at any rate; reminds me of the golden '80s.
Old 02-07-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Norm de Plume
Guess Who: Maybe I should have a look at So Far, So Good, but, if it includes crap like "Everything I Do...", I'll take a pass.
Yes, it has it, but if you're looking for a BA greatest hits cd....

So Far So Good has "Cuts Like a Knife"
The Best Of Me does not.

The Best Of Me has "Let's Make A Night To Remember" & "All For Love"
So Far So Good does not.

'Nuff said. I'd rather have Cuts Like a Knife.
Old 02-08-03, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally..I like ALL Bryan Adams music..
Ive been a fan for a loong time now and I know personally Im sick of Cuts like a knife and heaven.
I think his last 3 albums have been some of his best work yet..but thats my opinion.
Plus the new songs on the Unplugged were great too..guess its all a matter of taste..
Old 02-08-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The best was yet to come was my high school class song (class of '86, Troy Colts!). I'm so old.

Run to you was one of the best songs of the 80's and Reckless was one of the best albums from that time as well. What I really like is overhearing a group of teens talking about 80's night at some club where they can go and listen to the music that the dinosaurs listened to.

I saw him about 5 times in the 80's and he was great each time. But after the Robin Hood song (yuk) he did release a pretty good album called Waking up the Neighbours.

After that, he's just be awful. It's too bad. If it was just a greatest hits concert, I'd love to see Bryan and Corey Hart do a concert tour.

Bryan sounds a bit like a female mouse on his 1980 self-titled album, but there are some good/fun songs on it like:

Hiding from love, Win some, Lose Some, Wait and See, and, in my opinion, the first song that showed he was gonna be really big, Remember.

My favorites from You Want It, You Got it is Lonely Nights. Followed by Fits Ya Good, Don't Look Now, You Want it You Got It, and No one Makes it Right (this albums The Best Was Yet To Come).

Cuts Like A Knife and Reckless are classics.

Into the Fire is very underrated. And Waking Up The Neighbours is Bryan Adams meets Shania Twain.

Doesn't anyone remember the song Diana? That was a great single.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 02-08-03 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-08-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny that you mention Corey Hart, dolphinboy. I was going to start another topic about his music.

Wow, I feel old. Actually, I was just a preteen when Adams and Hart were at their popularity peak in the mid-'80s. I was not terribly interested in music at the time (and I'm still not, comparitively), but hearing their stuff was unavoidable, at least here in Canada. Hart's "Never Surrender" is still a classic.
Old 02-08-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Norm de Plume <small>Hart's "Never Surrender" is still a classic.</small>
As is "Sunglasses At Night"
Old 02-08-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
Funny that you mention Corey Hart, dolphinboy. I was going to start another topic about his music.

Wow, I feel old. Actually, I was just a preteen when Adams and Hart were at their popularity peak in the mid-'80s. I was not terribly interested in music at the time (and I'm still not, comparitively), but hearing their stuff was unavoidable, at least here in Canada. Hart's "Never Surrender" is still a classic.
I was in high school from 1982-1986, so Corey was pretty big at the perfect age for me. I remember going to my stylist with his picture and telling her, "make me look like this." She told me that she could cut my hair like his, but that I was pretty much stuck with the face that I had. I used to totally dress like Corey too. Leather strap on one wrist, same sunglasses, shoes, shirts, and even the jacket he wore in the Never Surrender video. I saw him in concert in Ann Arbor during a winter storm. He did Jenny Fey and the Sunglasses at Night to finish the encore. As he was leaving the stage he threw the towel that he wiped his face with into the crowd. It was just a plain towel, no Corey Hart logo or autograph or anything. Anyway, I got part of it with my left hand and this girl (maybe 5" 2' 90 pounds) get the other part with her right hand. I was sure the towel would be mine and I'd be able to bring it to school the next day to brag about. Well, I was 5' 10" 165 and this girl ripped that baby right away from me with no problem...maybe letting out a slight growl. That's how much the women loved that guy. They became crazed animals.

If you can find it, Corey has a DVD of his video called "Life is a Video." It's terrific.

In Your Soul and Everything in my Heart have always been favorites of mine. She got the Radio and Jenny Fey are also great songs that no one that I know seems to remember.

Ok, back to being an old man again.
Old 02-09-03, 07:28 AM
Defunct Account

Off Topic (sorry.)

Norm de Plume, could you e-mail me? There's a question I'd like to ask you in a non-public forum, and you're e-mail address is blocked.

TIA,

-Videophile ([email protected])
Old 02-10-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unblocked it, videophile. Fire away.

Good story, dolphinboy. The girls considered him serious hunk material with the spiked hair and pouty lips, to the detriment of a lot of relationships I'm sure. "In Your Soul" and "Everything in My Heart" are also two of the ones I like most, as is "Sunglasses at Night" (though I think it was overplayed), "Can't Help Falling in Love" (especially), "I am by Your Side", and "It Ain't Enough".
Old 02-10-03, 02:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
My favorite is One Night Love Affair - love that song!