Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Swallowtail Butterfly" Japanese LE

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently became a huge Shunji Iwai fan, after having seen "Love Letter (When I Closed My Eyes)" and "All About Lily Chou-Chou." I have not seen Iwai's "Swallowtail Butterfly," but I am aware of a special 2-disc edition in Japan that is long out of print. It includes the regular edition (which you can still get) plus a second disc with a seperate film. Anyone who owns this or has seen it can tell me whether this is worthwhile tracking down?
Old 02-05-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not a separate film as such..although was released in Japan as a theatrical feature i believe....'Yentown'...it is really just a behind the scenes documentary pertaining to the making of 'Swallowtail Butterfly'.
I bought this a while ago from Japan....as to whether it's worth tracking down?....depends upon how much of a 'completist' you are in relation to Shunji Iwai and also on whether you have a strong command of the Japanese language to comprehend all the supplemental material contained in the extra disc.
The actual package itself is fairly standard...two amaray cases in a red cardboard case with a black print of a Swallowtail butterfly on the back...although as it's Japan..really the front
Old 02-05-03, 05:57 PM

I own it but am yet to sit down and watch it... if I do get the chance to sit down and watch it (that is, if my kids give me the chance), then I will be sure to post my thoughts here for your benefit

regards, Tim...
Old 02-06-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The movie is absolutely atrocious. It started interesting enough until it became overlong, badly acted, confusing, and self-indulgent (with a really, really bad MTV-emphasis for this excruciating "band" fronted by a woman who cannot sing). Very nice cinematography and art direction and a great concept. But execution-wise it fails on every level. I'd be nice and give it a 2/10.

And yes, I've seen Love Letter and All About Lily Chou-Chou. Both are far superior.
Old 02-06-03, 04:07 AM

Is "All About Lily Chou-Chou" available on dvd anywhere.. with english subtitles?

(The Japanese releases of this film don't appear to have english subtitles

Hemulen
Old 02-06-03, 02:04 PM
MiK
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
The movie is absolutely atrocious. It started interesting enough until it became overlong, badly acted, confusing, and self-indulgent (with a really, really bad MTV-emphasis for this excruciating "band" fronted by a woman who cannot sing). Very nice cinematography and art direction and a great concept. But execution-wise it fails on every level. I'd be nice and give it a 2/10.

And yes, I've seen Love Letter and All About Lily Chou-Chou. Both are far superior.
I respectfully but violently disagree. I thought her songs were soulful and terrific. Same goes for the movie. How much is the Japanese Region 2?
Old 02-07-03, 01:58 PM

Is "Yentown" worth 11,000 yen?

Thanks yentown for your thorough review of the set. I recenetly saw 2 used copies on sale for 15,000 yen each, which is almost three times the original sale price. I am not a completist collector per se, but I do appreciate well-made making-of documentaries like the one on the "Breathe" disc of the "Lily" set. I am wondering if "Yentown" and that beautiful red box are worth the 11,000 yen?

"We're all living in 'The Matrix.' ;-)"
Old 08-10-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just ordered the Korean release blind for $35. Am I going to regret it?
Old 08-10-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is a japanese version on yesasia.com for $23, apparently its the same as the other one which costs $40, this is some sort of limited re-release I think.
Old 08-10-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fandango
There is a japanese version on yesasia.com for $23, apparently its the same as the other one which costs $40, this is some sort of limited re-release I think.
Thanks, but what about the movie, is it a good blind buy?
Old 08-10-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't seen it but I watched All About Lily Chou-Chou recently and liked it so I ordered it.
Old 08-14-03, 07:30 PM

Hemulen, check out DDDhouse.com. They have a nice copy of All About Lily Chou Chou with eng subs for under ten bucks.
Old 08-22-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am putting my copy up for trade.
Old 09-08-05, 11:45 PM

Swallowtail Butterfly 2-discs Japanese LE up for auction

The Swallowtail Butterfly 2-discs Japanese LE DVD is up on ebay here if anyone is interested.
Old 09-09-05, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by indycohiba
Thanks, but what about the movie, is it a good blind buy?
I think it's a good movie but not to the point that can entice me to pay $29.99 for the Japan LE version which Yesasia was selling.
Old 09-10-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Swallowtail Butterfly was a painfully long and all-over-the-place movie...
Old 09-10-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Swallowtail Butterfly was a painfully long and all-over-the-place movie...
That pretty much sums up EVERY Iwai movie i've seen... meandering and pretentious. Oh, and his handheld camera moves made me nauseous!