Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Canadians: Buying advice for HKL?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering where Canadians are buying HKL DVDs?

In the past, I've ordered a bunch of HKL DVDs from Bensonsworld. Pretty good. HKL selection seems a bit weak lately. Recently, not very customs friendly. Shipping is charged nowadays....was FREE shipping worldwide.

Anyone order from HKL directly? How do they ship? Customs friendly for one or mulitiple items? They appear to have good prices...lots of 10GBP DVDs. Excellent selection of course.

No experience with Blackstar. But they appear to be more expensive. Not sure if they are customs friendly either.

Other dealers?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 02-05-03, 11:03 AM
Cool New Member

I don't know about most others, but the HKL site appears to ship extremely slow. I ordered a lot of DVDs from them a month ago and haven't received them yet, so if you can wait long enough you should probably try them. Blackstar ships out fast, but I believe customs delayed my last order for almost week, I think. It's probably best to wait for Benson's to run another HKL sale, whenever that happens. The only other store that comes to mind is CD-WOW, which doesn't have a big selection, but I've yet to shop there.
Old 02-05-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I've never paid any duty on Bensonsworld shipments.
Old 02-05-03, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
I've never paid any duty on Bensonsworld shipments.
For the last several orders with Benson's, I have had to pay PST, GST and $5 handling fee....adds up quick when they separate the order into a couple of HKL DVDs each. I don't recall any duty though....except maybe once or twice.

Dave
Old 02-07-03, 10:23 AM

A good alternative is CD WOW
www.cd-wow.net is their US site
www.cd-wow.com is the UK site

They don't have all the HKL titles, but what they have are nicely priced, with free shipping and fast service.
They also carry a selection of the Celestial/IVL Shaw Bros DVDs at very good prices.

I believe they are based in Hong Kong...

J.T.
Old 02-07-03, 03:02 PM

Don't forget www.cd-wow.com.hk for their HK site. I think the conversion (at least to USD) works out a bit cheaper than their UK site.
Old 02-07-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by DavidY
For the last several orders with Benson's, I have had to pay PST, GST and $5 handling fee....adds up quick when they separate the order into a couple of HKL DVDs each. I don't recall any duty though....except maybe once or twice.

Dave
No GST, PST, or handling fee either. They just pop up right in my mail box. Make you're beeing singled out.