Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Another Trek film

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Trek film

Star Trek 11: Rick Berman talked about the future of the Trek franchise's film efforts with Sci-Fi Wire after the box-office failure of 'Nemesis' recently: "There's no way of telling what happened. I'm convinced that we made a very good movie, and I'm also convinced that the movie was promoted properly...I think that the competition of other films may have played some part in it, but I can't be certain of that, either. It's very, very hard to tell. There's a theory that there was too much time [between Insurrection and Nemesis]. There's another theory that there wasn't too much time. I, along with the people at Paramount, need a few months of perspective and thinking about it to then decide what's the best thing to do next. I don't think this is like falling off a horse, and you want to jump right back on it. But we'll see". Thanks to 'Star Lover'.

Sounds like Berman is still in denial.
Old 02-04-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ack!
Old 02-04-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nemesis was one of the better films if you ask me. It's a shame it's poor box office numbers might spell doom for the series and all.
Old 02-04-03, 01:44 PM

Re: Another Trek film

Originally posted by cooper2000
I, along with the people at Paramount, need a few months of perspective and thinking about it to then decide what's the best thing to do next.
Uh, I'm guessing it will take much more time than that. Somebody needs to take Berman out of his world and back into the real world. Then again....
Old 02-04-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nemesis deserved to tank, and if Berman thinks he can recover the franchise he's deluded.

Star Trek is dying a very protracted death and perhaps film 11 or 12 will be titled Resurrection. Then again the fourth Alien film was called that and look what we got.
Old 02-05-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So in the next Trek movie Picard will be cloned 200 years after his death and be the genetic "mommy" to a butt-ugly alien thing?

Will he have acidic blood? Will he be able to make a basketball shot without looking at the basket? Will Winona Ryder be his robotic buddy? What part does Dan Hedaya play?

Where does the prime directive fit in to any of this?

Should i use spoiler tags so people won't find out these plot points to the new Trek movie?
Old 02-05-03, 02:41 AM
Banned

I'm so glad it tanked!
Take that Paramount for cancelling the t.v. series, they figured the Trekkies would have been hard up for a movie and they were wrongo!
Old 02-05-03, 09:49 AM
Banned

Interesting that Paramount after all this bad press still doesnt seem to have a clue about the franchise.
Even over on comment boards on trekweb.com, people are unthusiastic of Trek as a whole.
Time to get some creative people at the helm.
Old 02-05-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by UAIOE
So in the next Trek movie Picard will be cloned 200 years after his death and be the genetic "mommy" to a butt-ugly alien thing?

Shhh, they're saving that story for "Enterprise"
Old 02-05-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
It really is a damn shame that they cannot see Nemesis for what it really was. Such a disappointment in so many respects.
Old 02-05-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Harry Potter & LOTR killed Trek.

Next time, they should release in Feb and be the only game in town.
Old 02-05-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Harry Potter & LOTR killed Trek.

Next time, they should release in Feb and be the only game in town.
If the film were really good, it could have done just fine when it was released.

And even if it had been released this month, it would have provided virtually no benefit because the film was just plain weak. Year-round competition in high-profile Hollywood films is just a fact of life now. That's part of the reason that a film being #1 at the box-office for more than 1 week is considered a big achievement.
Old 02-05-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, Berman has absolutely no idea that HE is the problem with the trek franchise??? Does he go on the internet at all, cause every trek fan i read on the internet says Berman = Suck. And i have to agree.

The problem wasn't that there was too much time between Nemesis and insurrection... The problem is that Both those movies SUCKED. Hard.

I would have loved for nemesis to have been a good movie. But it was horrible, and deserved to tank. How they could have sat back and thought "man the public will love this" is beyond me. It was a weak plot, partly recycled from a half dozen episodes of TNG. It tried too hard to be humorous in parts, only coming off lame. The whole film consisted of parts that were either too rushed, painfully slow, an unneeded action sequence involving a 4-wheeler, pointless cameos, lame humor, techno bable, or special effects. From beggining to end, it was the perfect definition of wasted potential.

I was there the first night. And i think Berman owes me $14.50.
Old 02-05-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
So, Berman has absolutely no idea that HE is the problem with the trek franchise??? Does he go on the internet at all, cause every trek fan i read on the internet says Berman = Suck. And i have to agree.
You obviously don't understand the genious of Berman.

He has taken a concept and boiled it down to its bare essentials.

Today, you can sit down to watch a Star Trek product -- any product, "Enterprise," "Voyager," or recent movies -- and get the same thing. It doesn't matter what episode or movie you're watching -- it will be the same thing. The same mediocre, wooden performances, the same flasing light effects, the same characters, the same technobabble, the same story. The man is a genious for taking an expansive concept, rife with potential and wonder, and homogenizing it into a single, simple product.
Old 02-05-03, 06:48 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why didn't they stick with the same forumla they had for Star Trek 8? Star Trek 9 was way too flowery, but at least 10 was a bit better.
Old 02-05-03, 06:58 PM

personally i thought nemesis was a good film, not great, but good. It was better than insurection. not quite as good as first contact. I belive that the low turnout for star trek is more a reflection of the wain of sci-fi as a genre, rather than just the death of star trek speciffically.

there has been a marked turn from the futureistic sci-fi to the pre-history type fantasy out look. sucess of LOTR and harry potter lean towards the swords and magik fantasy relm then the warp drive, lasers and aliens of sci-fi

give it time, star trek and the rest will return stronger than ever
Old 02-06-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
The whole film consisted of parts that were either too rushed, painfully slow, an unneeded action sequence involving a 4-wheeler, pointless cameos, lame humor, techno bable, or special effects.

I'm no Star Trek expert...i've seen more episodes than i care to admit...but replace "4 wheeler" with shuttlecraft and dont you pretty much have 80% of ST:TNG episodes?
Old 02-06-03, 09:41 AM
Banned

Yeah, Trek has become a piecing together of various different plot devices. It started with Voyager and is continuing with Enterprise and Nemesis and Berman is just collecting a paycheck.