Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Deep Purple

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 12:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep Purple

I bought Deep Purple's Perihelion only because I'm a casual Deep Purple fan who wanted live DVD versions of classics like "Hush" and "My Woman From Tokyo"... Woo Hoo! This disc has turned me from a "casual" fan into a rabid fan! CHRIST! When did DP get THIS good?

I'm not comparing DP to the WHO, but on this disc, although they don't have the virtuosity of the WHO, they do have that rock and roll "crunch" that is reminiscent of the early WHO's power.

Almost every track rocks like crazy and lead guitar player Steve Morse, who age-wise could be the son of the other DP members, is obviously having a blast in his roll as DP's latest guitar slinger.

Oh, and the sound... A-wall-of-thunder!

Last edited by toobwacky; 02-04-03 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-04-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm not sure where you've been but DP has ALWAYS been good. I enjoy their early sound but if you want to talk what album...it was "In Rock" when Ian Gillan started as their lead singer...the band's been through many incarnations with some less than stellar albums. However, if you like Steve Morse please give their album "Perpendicular" a try from a few years ago...it's perhaps my all time favorite DP album; I will never grow tired of the songs on this masterpiece.

Great stuff and I'm glad we've got a new convert

Michael
Old 02-04-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
I don't know. Deep Purple without Richie Blackmore just seems wrong.
Old 02-04-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I don't know. Deep Purple without Richie Blackmore just seems wrong.
Got to agree....but Steve Morse is a very good guitarist.

Also Ian Gillan is awesome.
Old 04-07-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Deep Purple

Just got the new album "Infinite" in the mail today ... damn good stuff. Pretty on par with Now What!? which I really enjoyed as well.
Old 04-07-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by toobwacky
Almost every track rocks like crazy and lead guitar player Steve Morse, who age-wise could be the son of the other DP members, is obviously having a blast in his roll as DP's latest guitar slinger.
Steve Morse is 62. Most of Purple is 71.
Old 04-09-17, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Steve Morse has been the perfect guitar player for Purple.

He's not trying to copy Blackmore, and he's put his stamp on the band. His jazzy (but still hard rockin') style complements the classic Deep Purple sound really well and has allowed the band to do things that they couldn't have done with Blackmore.

Now What and Infinite are both great albums, as were Purpendicular and Abandon. (Bananas and Rapture of the Deep were merely very good.)
Old 04-09-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It certainly helped that other than Morse, the same lineup has been together off an on for multiple decades, through Lord's death in 2012.

I initially didn't give the first Morse albums a chance, but as the band kept increasing their following I gave them all a shot. Looking forward to listening to Infinite this week.
Old 04-09-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I am not a fan, but I am glad they are still putting out quality work that fans are enjoying.