Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

hotel tv and the Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-03, 04:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel tv and the Xbox

I am going away this weekend and I want to take my xbox to play games and watch movies. I called the hotel and the guy didn't seem to think I could hook it up. I don't think the guy knew what he was talking about by the way he answered. If I can't hook it up I really don't want to go and get the dvd component since I have a dvd already, I was wondering if anybody has ever took their xbox to a hotel and hooked it up to a tv. Did you need an RF adapter or were there component outputs.
Old 02-03-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well last resort you could lug along a VCR as well as your Xbox if you REALLY want to play it. I don't know what hotel you're staying at, and I assume all are different so maybe for safety's sake just bring along the VCR.
Old 02-03-03, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Well last resort you could lug along a VCR as well as your Xbox if you REALLY want to play it. I don't know what hotel you're staying at, and I assume all are different so maybe for safety's sake just bring along the VCR.
u gotta be kidding me, just bring the rf adapter along.
Old 02-03-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would think any TV there would have an accessible RF.

Many TV's have composites you should be able to access. I think I'd buy the RF adapter and not unpackage it unless I needed it. Take along the standard composite (RCA cables)
Old 02-03-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hooked up my GameCube to the projectors at school and was playing on the "Big Screen" for the first time. I think I will make this a weekly thing.

Also, I stayed at a hotel last summer that had PS1 games built into it. The controllers plugged right into the back of the TV, but it was subscription, so you had to pay to activate it. Blech. I just played my computer games, and watched movies on my laptop instead.

-CM-
Old 02-03-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Sometimes hotels have a box around the rf jack. But I have never had one I couldn't disconnect to play.

You will need a rf adapter though.
Old 02-03-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Sorry I read wrong, I thought he said he didn't want to buy the RF adaptor, so I figured he already had a VCR if worst comes to worst.
Old 02-03-03, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Sorry I read wrong, I thought he said he didn't want to buy the RF adaptor, so I figured he already had a VCR if worst comes to worst.

k...but come on really....imagine luggin around a VCR around airports a hotel and wherever u go.....honestly...think about it just for a second

haha...plus...why would you want to carry 2 VCRs?

j/k guys ... the xbox is my boo
Old 02-04-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most hotels have TV's integrated with a subscritpion service and customer service functions. I think it's against the rules in most hotels for you to hook up your x-box or anything else to their systems.
Old 02-04-03, 09:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

He said something about that its against the rules to use it in the room. Personally I don't care, how would they know anyway. I am going to get an RF adapter and take it anyway.
Old 02-04-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by themovieguru
He said something about that its against the rules to use it in the room. Personally I don't care, how would they know anyway. I am going to get an RF adapter and take it anyway.
Only if you break something. Also if you start disconnecting stuff it may set off electronic alarms. In a lot of hotels the TV's and everything else is networked to central servers to let you check your bill, order movies, place phone calls, etc. If you start disconneting stuff they may have SNMP set up to alert them if something went down.

At work we have SNMP poll our servers and routers and if something doesn't respond we get alarms warning us that something went down.
Old 02-04-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by themovieguru
how would they know anyway.
I, uhh, had a friend who had their cable company call them cause they noticed he had disconnected one of his cable boxes. Seems that Showtime came through when you didn't go through a box.
Old 02-04-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of hotels (especially nicer ones) have their TV's hooked up to a whole bunch of services, like al_bundy said. Oftentimes you can't even gain access to the back of TV's unless you have some special tools. And then you might set off an alarm.

If you are going to be travelling infrequently, just bring along a GBA instead. If you're travelling a lot, try playing games on a laptop instead. Or buy one of those portable LCD screens for consoles - expensive, but sometimes it's the only option if you really want to play your PS2, Xbox, GCN, etc.
Old 02-04-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was checking out the XBox screen, man what a waste! The thing is HUGE yet they still only put a little 5" screen in it! The screen component is almost as big as the XBox, and the XBox is huge as it is. I am so glad I got the GameCube. When I do get the screen, at least it will be proportional in size to the system.

-CM-
Old 02-04-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, the portable screens all suck, and they're all way overpriced. but sometimes they are the only option available.

or you could always just read a book or do something productive in your hotel room. horrors!