Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ben Kingsley to Play Hood in 'Thunderbirds' Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-03, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-15400,00.html

Mon, Feb 03, 2003, 10:02 AM PT

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) - What Would Gandhi Do? The man who played Indian national hero, Mohandas K. Gandhi, has signed on for a new role that's miles away from the staunch advocate of non-violence he once portrayed. Sexy beast Ben Kingsley will play international criminal mastermind Hood in the live-action remake of the 1960s British television puppet series, "Thunderbirds."

The film, which is being produced by Working Title Films for Universal Pictures, follows paterfamilias Jeff Tracy (played by Bill Paxton) and his crime-fighting family of five sons. Kingsley's character will invade Tracy Island, the secret base and home of International Rescue and the Thunderbirds, in an attempt to use them for his evil plot, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Working Title is devoting much of the film's $50 million plus budget to the elaborate visual effects, deliberately casting unknown actors in the roles of the Tracy boys.

The film is being directed by Jonathan Frakes, who played captain William T. Riker on the television show "Star Trek: The Next Generation" before moving behind the lens. Since the mid-1990s, he has directed two "Star Trek" movies -- "First Contact" and "Insurrection" as well as the 2002 film, "Clockstoppers."

Production on "Thunderbirds" will begin in March 2003 in the Seychelles and Britain.

I didn't even know that they were making a live-action remake of the series. Could be very interesting!

Chris
Old 02-03-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
He's gonna have a hard time topping the "evilness" of Sexy Beast .... that was one mean (fill in the blank)
Old 02-05-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm both pleased and let down by all this... it's a british production (that's good!) of a sixties update (that's bad.) starring Kingsley as the villain (that's good!) but directed by Frakes (that's bad.) starring unknowns (that's good!) but with a mediocre plot (that's bad.) that may be saved by good special effects (that's good!) which... oh, what the hell, I'll wait until it's out and then feel bad that I'm not in it.

I have first dibs on the Captain Scarlet film, though!

(hmm... "sorry, Mr. Anderson, we can't go ahead with the Captain Scarlet film. Apparently some young irishman has claimed... dibs"