Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Will we ever see another Dragon Warrior for Game Boy?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-02-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignoring the "Monsters" line, now that Enix of America has shut down and Square has absorbed all distribution rights, has there been any word of Dragon Warrior IV, V, or VI for Game Boy Advance?
Old 02-02-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What? Enix of America shut down?!

GOOD!! Those ****ing **** eating whores deserve to die for teasing us with the PSX remake of Dragon Warrior 4 (the best RPG ever created) and then ****-canning it at the last minute to work on R.A.D.? R.A.D.? Yeah.. a #1 seller there.

But.. new games on the GB/GBA are not EoA's decision (Thank God.. they are completely worthless in my opinion).. Enix of Japan is respnisble for that.

Monster 3 comes out soon (Which, much like you, I don't really care much for..).. It's a damn good bet that they'll be working on 4 for GBA.. 4, 5, and 6 if they were smart.

At that point, somebody with an ounce of intellegence (not EoA obviously) would have to localize the game. As much as I hate Square and all thier games, they do seem to be in touch with thier fanbase, and I would hope they would bring whatever new games in the series over here for everyone to enjoy.

BTW.. I have the jappy Dragon Quest 4 for PSX, and I've loved every minute of it. It's an amazing game, really is. Too bad I can't make much of any new text in the game, as my Japanese is limited to being able to barely handle item and spell management.
Old 02-02-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the remake of Dragon Quest III for the SNES, its awesome, and the orchestrated music is some of the best composed music i've ever heard.

I didn't know they were planning to bring the DQ4 remake over, that would be awesome if they did. I do know they are making some DQ game for the GBA, but i haven't found many details on it. If you like Dragon Warrior the Toruneko games are spinoff's, i haven't had a chance to play them yet but i've heard they're pretty good if you like DW.
Old 02-03-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
I don't think there's any way that Square/Enix will bring the DQ4 remake out here... I think DQ 7 bombed pretty badly, and the localization effort is too much for a port of an old game for an old system. The only way it would somewhat succeed is as a budget title (since I haven't seen any new PS1 games retail for over 20 bucks lately) and I think the cost would be too high. You can't really blame Enix America for not going with DQ 4 when 7 didn't meet expectations.

DQ is perfect for the GBA, though. I loved playing DW 3, and that was good just using the Gameboy color! GBA graphics plus portability would be great. Unfortunately, not even the popularity Toriyama enjoys here with Dragonball was enough to make the DW series a success with american rpgers raised on graphics fests like Final Fantasy. I mean, even Tobal bombed enough that the excellent Tobal 2 never came out here...

Did R.A.D. not do well? It kind of got lost in the crowd of games at the end of last year, but it's still one I look forward to getting to (it's still an unopened Xmas present).
Old 02-03-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuji, Enix cancelled the release of DW4 over a year ago. It's not new news and Square/Enix has nothing to do with it. (Though, if Square is in fact head of Enix stuff in the US now.. it would be nice to think that they would localize it.. long shot..). DQ7 did not bomb at all. It sold over 4 million copies. As far as I know it's still the best selling japanese PSX game. Now, DW7 on the other hand.. it did not bomb. It wasn't a huge hit, but it's sales number were that of any average PSX game. I think a big problem with it is that it just was not a great game. Sure, it was better than any of the new Final Fantasy games, but compared to the other 6 games in the series it was weak. It just felt like some direction was lost halfway through production and things fell apart. The job system is cool, yet lame. It's not balanced out very well.. way too many skills become obsolete and many more than that are uselss from the start. The graphics.. eh.. there's no reason why the graphics are as bad as they are. There's not. Have you seen what they did with DQ3 Remake and DQ6? They're simply the best looking 2D games EVER, short of Namco's Tales series. The decision to make the world 3D had to have been a last minute one, because it's sloppy and executed bad, and looks piss poor. However, as always, the battle graphics are 100% top grade. The animation is beautiful and fluent. It baffles me that they have such wonderful graphics for the battle sequences and nobody said "Why don't we just stick to 2D graphics for the whole game?".. though doubtful, I smell traces of Sony's inital policy of "We don't care how bad you game is, just make it 3D" from back in the day. The cut scenes in the game baffle me even more. Why are they there? The ones that are there are irrelevant and look like ****. Should've been kept out altogether, this Is Dragon Warrior not Final Fantasy. The plot device for the game is the EXACT one they used in part 6, slightly modified. The music is also forgettable, something that surprises me for this series. All in all, this is just a sloppy game. Something went wrong and Enix isn't letting the bag out.

Now Dragon Warrior 4 is simply the BEST RPG ever, from a gameplay point of view. This is a notion shared by 90% of DW/DQ fans across the world. The story was great and how much of it you took in was up to you. You aren't force fed overly sappy teenage drama written from a Mad Lib template (cheap shot at another series).. The story progresses with clues you pick up and piece together by how many people you talk to. And the gameplay is perfect. Everything is wonderfully balanced and beautiful. You are first treated to 4 mini adventures which play out like 4 seperate smaller RPGs, all highly enjoyable; and then they come together in the end to form the real meat of the game. It's just perfect. You actually have to THINK when battling monsters. You don't mindless hit the A button over and over just to kill the monsters and get on to the next cut scene (another cheap shot sorry).. there's probably 1/100th the amount of text in this game, so localizing the game as a budget title would have been not only possible, but a smart move. Why? Maybe DW7 didn't sell what they wanted.. but that may have been that it was too little too late, and a pretty weak game overall. DW4, people already KNOW it's a great game. People are playing $80 for new copies of the NES game on ebay. And Nostalgia goes a long way. Nobody that loved this game when they first played it would pass up the chance to have a new version with better graphics, rearranged music, and a new mini-adventure prolouge revealing a whole new last boss and a second ending to the game.

Oh well.. at least I have my japanese copy..
Old 02-03-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
You're right, DQ 7 did do really, really well in Japan. I meant DW 7 in America. I think the overall rpg culture over here has changed... fewer people enjoy old school, leveling up, Dragon Warrior/Quest type of substance over graphics rpgs over here. And DW 7 came out at the very end of the PS1's lifespan.

I did look forward to playing DW 4 on PS, but understood why they didn't do it. Although if a hardcore fanbase is enough to sell an expensive collection like Arc the Lad or Lunar, I'm sure they could find people to buy it. I would still prefer the release the original, non-3D version on GBA, though. I'm having a blast playiing Phantasy Star Collection, and it seems like the perfect place to get people hooked on old school rpgs.
Old 02-03-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh I'm sure we'll be getting DW4 on the GBA. Enix of Japan is real keen on milking the series. 1, 2, and 3 have been rereleased first for the SNES and then the GBC. Now that 4 has been remade on a newer system it's probably next in the pipeline for the portable treatment.

Man, if the graphics are as nice as they were on the SNES DQ3r.. I'm going to cry many tears of joy.

And from the looks of it.. DQM3: Caravan Heart looks damn cool, but I can't say I'm much of a fan of the monster series. What's funny is how many people consider DWM a ripoff of Pokemon, when Pokemon just took one aspect of DQ5 and made an entire game of it.. hehe..
Old 02-03-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fujishig
You're right, DQ 7 did do really, really well in Japan. I meant DW 7 in America. I think the overall rpg culture over here has changed... fewer people enjoy old school, leveling up, Dragon Warrior/Quest type of substance over graphics rpgs over here. And DW 7 came out at the very end of the PS1's lifespan.
When I first heard about it, before I had ever played another Dragon Warrior title, I considered getting it. But I heard it was over 100 hours of gameplay, or 80 at the minimum, which was sort of intimidating. I ideally like RPGs to clock in at around 35 hours, up to 50 or 60 if they are excellent.