Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

T.A.T.U ; teenage lesbian Russian pop stars

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think they are for real? I especially like the producer/psychologist angle. Anyways, sounds like a recipe for success to me.

On May 16th, 2001, Universal Music Russia signed a band, that critics, music journalists and record companies call the most outrageous and scandalous thing to ever happen to Russian show-biz.

Who are Tattoo? Julia and Lena, 2 girls, one is 15 and the other one is 16 years old. Both of them got into this project by accident, and instantly became national heroes.

November 2000. Tattoo, an unknown act, brought their first-ever video to MTV Russia. Despite (or, maybe, thanks to) its controversial character, MTV were brave enough to put it on air, and… Tattoo took Russia by storm.

“Ya Soshla S Uma (I’ve Lost My Mind)”, their first self-released single, is a song describing turmoil in a girl’s soul. She is in love with another girl, she does not understand what is going on, she is both scared and happy, and everyone around her refuses to even try to understand her.

Although there is a number of acts trying to reflect loneliness and angst of a teenage soul, Tattoo sing and perform with such sincerity that immediately compels kids.

Ya Soshla S Uma has had an incredibly long shelf-life for a debut single. The video was in MTV Russia’s Top 10 playlist for 2 months, for 3 months was in Top 5 most requested videos chart, and is still on air.

The audience was first shocked to see two girls kissing in the video, and after they came to their senses, everyone realized there is much more than lesbian appeal behind this track. It’s the lyrics, the music, and, most importantly, the message the girls deliver.

This track did to the act what usually is achieved by staying at the scene for years. Tattoo have very established fan base, and are well-known by everyone else. Everything they do immediately creates media buzz.

While kids were going crazy about Julia and Lena, the Tattoo girls, Universal Music Russia were negotiating a record deal with their manager. We felt that such act as Tattoo has enormous potential not only for the local market, but for the world.

The second video, released simultaneously with the album, is called “Nas Ne Dogoniat” (“They’re Not Gonna Get Us”), and it’s proving Tattoo is not a one-hit wonder. After one week of hot rotation on MTV Russia it went straight to #1 in MTV “Russian Top 10” (weekly chart show with only Russian videos competing with each other) and #7 in MTV Top 20 (leaving behind Jennifer Lopez, Eminem and Backstreet Boys!!!). Single is receiving major success at radios as well, A listed on 1st National Radio “Russian Radio” (Russian music only) and 7 other national radios.

An autograph signing, organized on the day of the album release, brought more than 3 000 kids to one of Moscow’s entertainment centers and even caused some concern among police officers around the area. Girls spent 3 full hours giving autographs and were so tired at the end, that apologized and left, leaving a huge crowd screaming their names, behind.

Universal Music Russia proudly presents – TATTOO and their debut album “200 Po Vstrechnoi” (200 Miles An Hour In A Wrong Lane).

all the things you said video
T.A.T.U. Mp3s
They’re Not Gonna Get Us/Nas Nie Dogoniat - still looking for video

You've been warned
Old 02-01-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They sound like Britney Spears on speed. I only like that "All the Things She Said" because of the drums.

It's not that big of a scandal, considering they are both almost 18 at this point. Then again, the whole "lesbian" thing could just be a shtick they use to sell records.

Launch (the Yahoo music site) has the Russian version of "All the Things She Said" (Ya Soshla S Uma). From what I've read, the lyrics are rather poorly written in Russian, but the English ones aren't that deep anyways.
Old 02-01-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Link to related article in the Mature Forum: follow at your own risk

Last edited by benedict; 02-02-03 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if you like prog house, 'All the things she said' (Dave Aude dub) is a really nice remix, with minimal vocals....
Old 02-02-03, 08:01 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rogue588, I'm happily leaving this duplicate because the original is closed and not everyone in here wishes to venture into the Mature Forum.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
Old 02-03-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the song but I think the kissing in the video looks totally fake.
Old 02-03-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by benedict
Rogue588, I'm happily leaving this duplicate because the original is closed and not everyone in here wishes to venture into the Mature Forum.
That's fine. I just linked it since there was some good info that Lokise posted before the thread deteriorated into R.Kelly territory...

Or I could be luring unsuspecting DVD Talkers to the dark underbelly known as the Mature Forum.
Old 02-03-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was pretty commonly known that they're not really Lesbians.
Old 02-03-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-04-03, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
That's fine. I just linked it since there was some good info that Lokise posted ...
Well hey, glad someone found the info useful. It took a few weeks, but I did eventually get that CD (for anyone wondering about the integrity of that site), along with a couple other TATU releases I picked up along the way.

Like I mentioned before, if you're into moody techno it's good stuff. I don't pretend to know whether or not their public personas are real, or if they have any input into their music besides vocals, but their music would fit well pulsing through a nightclub and it's great headphones music. There are also some interesting "ballads" interspersed throughout the disc which are rather beautiful.

Their US CD "200 Km/H in the Wrong Lane," delayed for months, was finally released recently and although it's basically just their last Russian CD re-recorded in English, it's yet to leave my CD rotation.

Okay, I sound like a shill....although I guess I'd be a pretty poor one considering the TATU hype train is long gone.
Old 02-05-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
God I love this song (and I just figured out that the "runnin through my head" song was them.) But of course, even though this song is being played very often, the idiot dj never says who it is.
Old 02-06-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
God I love this song (and I just figured out that the "runnin through my head" song was them.) But of course, even though this song is being played very often, the idiot dj never says who it is.
Never is too often in my book, especially for a Euro-Trash/Cheese band.
Old 03-21-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Question, are any of the songs in the american release in russian, like many forgein language singers that cross over to america, they usually do one or two songs in their original lanugage. (I am humming to it right now as it is on right now)
Old 03-22-03, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
They do indeed have Russian songs on the american release. Rypro, don't you dare click on that mature forum link.. we all know you aren't allowed in the forum.
Old 03-22-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2 songs on the cd have a russian lyric equivalent:

"Ya Shosla s Uma" (Track 9) is "All The Things She Said" (Track 2)

"Nas Ne Dogonyat" (Track 10) is "Not Gonna Get Us" (Track 1)
Old 03-22-03, 03:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I liked their performance last month on MAD TV.
Old 03-23-03, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Giles
I liked their performance last month on MAD TV.
They were also pretty good on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Are they really not lesbians?
Old 03-24-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thats what I have heard, its just a publicity stunt. I think they are sisters though.
Old 03-24-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RoQuEr
if you like prog house, 'All the things she said' (Dave Aude dub) is a really nice remix, with minimal vocals....
THanks, I am gonna have to check that one out.
Old 04-05-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is the new TATU song "Ne Ver, Ne Boysa (Don't believe, don't be afraid)" that's going to be premiered @ Eurovision Song Contest on May 24. The song is in Russian and sounds similar to other tatu songs!

Download the song here:
MP3

or link 2 here:
MP3

+ Bonus track:
dead link

Translation
Don't believe, don't fear

[Verse 1]
Different nights
Different people
Wants, doesn't want
Loves, doesn't love
Someone will fall behind
Someone will jump off the mark
Someone will tire
And stop wanting

Someone will wind wire
Onto terminals
Someone will confuse
New themes
Someone's a psycho
Someone's a maniac
Someone's like you
Someone's like me

[Chorus]
Don't light up and don't extinguish
Don't believe, don't fear, don't ask
And calm down...and calm down
Don't believe, don't fear, don't ask (x2)
Don't believe, don'e fear (x3)
And don't ask

[Verse2]
Somewhere there's a lot of us
Somewhere not enough
But on the roads
There'll be a raid
Someone will take a risk
And someone will fail
Someone will understand
But he won't help

Someone will leave