Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend me some songs

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Recommend me some songs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommend me some songs

I'm looking for some new stuff to listen to. I listen to everything from Joy Division to Bob Marley. From Opeth to Nick Drake. From ...and you will know us by the trail of dead to Erasure.

Having said that, pretty much anything will do.
I'll start out with a recommendation of my own:

"Say Hello to Angels" by Interpol
Old 02-01-03, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you mentioned Nick Drake, check out Belle & Sebastian - especially anything from the albums "If You're Feeling Sinister" and "The Boy With The Arab Strap."

Another artist I discovered thanks to a recomendation here is Mason Jennings. Been listening to him for about 5 days straight.
Old 02-01-03, 08:07 PM

Also in the Nick Drake vein is Duncan Sheik's "Daylight", which I highly recommend. Check out his "Phantom Moon" CD too.
Old 02-01-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll give you the list of songs I've been listening to the most...

1. Gang of Four - "I Found that Essence Rare"
2. The Rapture - "House of Jealous Lovers"
3. Mission of Burma - "New Nails"
4. Echo and the Bunnymen - "The Killing Moon"
5. Sleater-Kinney - "Oh!"
6. Le Tigre - "Deceptacon"
7. Q and Not U - anything off "No Kill No Beep Beep" or "Different Damage"
8. LIARS - "We Live NE of Compton" and "Grown Men Don't Fall in the River, Just Like That"
9. The Make-Up - "Make Up Is Lies"

Since you are into Joy Division you might also be into New Order...the band that formed after Ian Curtis' suicide. They were very influential in electronic/dance music. They just had a box set come out called "Retro" but I haven't heard it yet.

For the singer/songwriter in you try anything by Will Oldham/Palace Brothers/Bonnie "Prince" Billy/ten million other acronyms. You may also like Neutral Milk Hotel and Tom Waits.

I'm on a really big DC art-punk kick...hence bands like Q and Not U and The Make-Up. If you like Fugazi I definitely think you'll like those bands.

If you are into metal you ought to check out Isis. Songs are really long and have a sludgy feel to them.
Old 02-01-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fallow
I'll give you the list of songs I've been listening to the most...

1. Gang of Four - "I Found that Essence Rare"
2. The Rapture - "House of Jealous Lovers"
3. Mission of Burma - "New Nails"
4. Echo and the Bunnymen - "The Killing Moon"
5. Sleater-Kinney - "Oh!"
6. Le Tigre - "Deceptacon"
7. Q and Not U - anything off "No Kill No Beep Beep" or "Different Damage"
8. LIARS - "We Live NE of Compton" and "Grown Men Don't Fall in the River, Just Like That"
9. The Make-Up - "Make Up Is Lies"
Thanks for the terrific suggestions! You and I have very similar tastes: I've been listening to Mission of Burma since the eighties: one of the greatest bands ever. I've got most of the rest of this.

Since you are into Joy Division you might also be into New Order...the band that formed after Ian Curtis' suicide. They were very influential in electronic/dance music. They just had a box set come out called "Retro" but I haven't heard it yet.
I've got every single thing they ever released. Retro is a waste except for the remixes.

For the singer/songwriter in you try anything by Will Oldham/Palace Brothers/Bonnie "Prince" Billy/ten million other acronyms.
Never really listened to this stuff. Kaazaa...
You may also like Neutral Milk Hotel and Tom Waits.
I've got NMH's second album, how's the first one? I've got "Swordfishtrombones" and "Mule Variations" by Waits, what else do I need?

I'm on a really big DC art-punk kick...hence bands like Q and Not U and The Make-Up. If you like Fugazi I definitely think you'll like those bands.

If you are into metal you ought to check out Isis. Songs are really long and have a sludgy feel to them.
Have you heard "Rites of Spring": they became Fugazi. It's probably the first emo band. I'll check out the rest.

Thanks again!
Old 02-02-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as Tom Waits goes, I would go with "Rain Dogs" and "Frank's Wild Years." Both are incredible albums.

I'm not sure which NMH cd came out first, but I think "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is Mangum's best.

I've always heard stuff about Rites of Spring but I've never really looked into checking out any of their stuff. I will now.
Old 02-02-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by adumbc
Another artist I discovered thanks to a recomendation here is Mason Jennings. Been listening to him for about 5 days straight.
glad to hear that my constant mason-dropping has finally paid off!! check out Mason if you're into Jack Johnson or Dylan... if you haven't heard Jack Johnson, then you should check him out too. also, along the lines of reggae, take it a little more uptempo with the reggae-heavy ska-stylings of the Slackers. both Mason and the Slackers fly under the radar, but they are both phenomenal!! (plus, i think Mason will blow up just as Jack Johnson has, at some point...)
-di doctor-