Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Cutting Moments" (?!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
"Cutting Moments" (?!)

Does anyone know what happened to the DVD prospects for this astounding short film? Some time ago it was scheduled for Mar./03. Now it seems to have disappeared from "upcoming" lists completely.
Personally, I wish any DVD manifestation of the film would include a jettisoning of the 4 fairly wretched shorts that accompanied Cutting Moments on the VHS, in favour of other classic shorts like La Jetee and An Occurrance at Owl Creek Bridge, among others.
Old 01-24-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll probably know already so i apologise if i'm covering old ground....but La Jetee is already featured on 'Short: 2 - Dreams' of a series of short films each with a single word title pertaining to each number in the series.
Old 01-24-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, thanks Rich. I have #6 of the "Shorts" series. The rest of the films on #2 didn't sound too interesting, so I passed on buying the DVD just for La Jetee.

Still, whether or not the two I mentioned are included on the DVD, I think Cutting Moments deserves better than the rubbish (for the most part) that precedes it on the video.
Old 01-25-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I prefer to have the whole thing intact. I think that the impact of the final vignette is greater when grouped with the others. (Not that it needed any greater impact)
Old 03-12-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anybody aware of developments/reason-for-cancellation?
Old 09-25-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Just ran into this...

A desperate housewife. A troubled father. A crippled & disfigured teenage girl. Three haunted characters. Three harrowing and unforgettable journeys into self-mutilation, murder, and the pits of despair, which director Douglas Buck uses to reflect on America's declared foremost concern today; the family, struggling to survive amidst the cauldron of hollow religious practices, alienation, and spiritual despair threatening at any moment to explode into violence. FAMILY PORTRAITS: A TRILOGY OF AMERICA collects Buck's three films (CUTTING MOMENTS, HOME and PROLOGUE) as they were meant to be seen, starting with hell on earth and ending ultimately on a small act of salvation.

You can order it at Xpoited Cinema or direct from Glass Eye Pix
Old 09-25-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, thanks TomOpus, I've known about the release for months and I already have my copy, but I didn't submit an update here because I thought no one was interested.
Old 09-25-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Really? Ya had to know at least one other person would've been interested. Looks like I overlooked this thread somehow, otherwise I would've chimed in.

So, what are your thoughts on the release?
Old 09-25-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Yeah! What the heck?! I would be interested in this too.
Old 09-26-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RichDB10
You'll probably know already so i apologise if i'm covering old ground....but La Jetee is already featured on 'Short: 2 - Dreams' of a series of short films each with a single word title pertaining to each number in the series.
yes it is, but sadly not in its original language. It's dubbed in English instead of being in French. I still have that disc though just for La Jetee.

Also, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is available on the dvd "Treaures of the Twilight Zone." I believe it has also been released on a stand-alone disc, but I think I read it's the same as the TZ version with Rod Serling cut off. The "Treasures" dvd is cheaper and you get two more eps of TZ with it.
Old 09-26-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TomOpus
Really? Ya had to know at least one other person would've been interested. Looks like I overlooked this thread somehow, otherwise I would've chimed in.

So, what are your thoughts on the release?
Sorry, I haven't watched it yet. You?
Originally posted by sracer
Yeah! What the heck?! I would be interested in this too.
I noticed from past threads that you and I were the only ones who ever made mention of the film, so I figured you'd have the inside scoop as to a release date.
Originally posted by garmonbozia
yes it is, but sadly not in its original language. It's dubbed in English instead of being in French. I still have that disc though just for La Jetee.
Also, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is available on the dvd "Treaures of the Twilight Zone." I believe it has also been released on a stand-alone disc, but I think I read it's the same as the TZ version with Rod Serling cut off. The "Treasures" dvd is cheaper and you get two more eps of TZ with it.
I'm also one who rigidly insists on getting films in their original language with subs, but I can see making an exception for "La Jetee" because, from what I remember, there's almost no dialogue. Or is there? It has been a while.
Thanks for the info about Owl Creek. I don't think there's a R1 disc of the film solo, but I'll check out the Twilight Zone DVD.
Thinking about this film reminds me how much I want to see a masterpiece (a term I use sparingly) by the same director, Robert Enrico, called The Old Gun released on DVD. For some reason this film is never discussed and is reviewed in only a very few film guides, even though it stars Philippe Noiret and Romy Schneider and was released on VHS.

Edit: Correction. You're right; Owl Creek is available by itself, but I haven't bought it yet, and at the time I started this topic there was no word of its release.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 09-26-04 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-26-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Norm de Plume

I'm also one who rigidly insists on getting films in their original language with subs, but I can see making an exception for "La Jetee" because, from what I remember, there's almost no dialogue. Or is there? It has been a while.
Thanks for the info about Owl Creek. I don't think there's a R1 disc of the film solo, but I'll check out the Twilight Zone DVD.
solo film:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...930404-4882224

Twilight zone disc:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 09-26-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, we both added a correction at about the same time.
Old 09-26-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, I haven't watched it yet. You?
Nope, was just getting ready to order... so, hopefully soon.
Old 09-26-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's quite steep at $25.99 + shipping. I hope the other two segments of the trilogy are worthwhile.
Old 09-27-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Edit: Correction. You're right; Owl Creek is available by itself, but I haven't bought it yet, and at the time I started this topic there was no word of its release.
lol, I didn't even notice the dates on the first few posts of this thread. But unless you want the cover art for the stand-alone disc, you might as well just get the Treasures of the Twilight Zone disc. It's cheaper and has 2 other eps besides Owl Creek. The reviewers on Amazon seem to think that the stand-alone disc is a rip off as it's the exact same content as the Twilight Zone ep, just with the Rod Serling segment(s) removed.
Old 09-28-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I probably will get the TZ disc, even though I was never a fan of the show. Owl Creek purists will likely go (have gone) with the stand-alone.