Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen Office [British comedy]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone seen this British series called Office? From the reviews at Amazon.UK, it looks to be pretty good. I want some opinions on this if u guys have seen it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000063W2U/
Old 01-23-03, 07:47 PM
Cool New Member

I have the first season and while I have only seen the first two episodes, it is excellent. The reviews are on target.

It is both very funny and depressing at the same time. Many of the laughs will also make you cringe.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-23-03, 07:52 PM

I am still trying to figure out whether this really is a comedy. A lot of the scenarios seem eerily like real life.

Still, it's quite good.
Old 01-23-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Office is one of the best Britcoms I have seen. I absolutely love this show. Can't get enough of it.

Can't wait for the next set of DVDs to be released. Definitely one of my favorite imports so far.

If you do or have ever worked in an office a lot of the scenarios are pretty realistic, which is pretty damn scary (or sad). I don't think there is a bad character in the show at all.

Sadly, I heard that they will be ending the show very soon since they don't want to burn out.

Definitely pick it up , worth the price.
Old 01-23-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the cheapest place to get it? Amazon.uk?
Old 01-23-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, what is the name of that other british show (supposed to be a cross between friends and sex and the city)?

H

edit: NM, it's called Coupling.
Old 01-24-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep great series!!...and season 2 which has finished running here in the UK is every bit as good as the first series.
Along with 'Phoenix Nights' has to be the best British comedy in years.
Incidentally i believe there is a rumour here in the UK that a one off special will be aired around Easter time which may or may not be the end of this wonderful series.
Old 01-24-03, 09:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

See also....

TV Talk for further thoughts on both Coupling and The Office - among other Brit shows.
Old 01-24-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
If you want to see the Office before you buy it, BBC America is showing the first season on Thursday nights (and I'm sure also in reruns). Great series.
Another excellent series on DVD is "Phoenix Nights". Same kind of docu-comedy.
Old 01-24-03, 11:05 AM

Office Season 2 on DVD this Fall

The BBC just announced that the Office Season 2 will be released on DVD (Region 2, PAL) this fall. The first season DVD is great. It is being show right now on BBC America....
Old 01-24-03, 12:01 PM

Re: Office Season 2 on DVD this Fall

Originally posted by WITZnyc
The BBC just announced that the Office Season 2 will be released on DVD (Region 2, PAL) this fall.
Great news! Wish it was sooner, but atleast it was announced.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I've seen the first two season of Coupling on dvd and now I'm hooked. It's really well done and the jokes always seem spot-on. I doubt an American cross-over would work since America seems a bit more prudish, and some of the language used on Coupling would never be allowed by the network censors. It's too bad though since I believe it's the edge that gives the show its personality.
Old 02-01-03, 05:44 AM

I just finished watching The Office recently. Funny and depressing sums it up. Damn I want to smack David Brent! Great show.

fyi, The Office dvd was the highest selling non-film dvd. It sold 630,000 copies the first week.
Old 07-01-03, 02:14 PM

The second season has now been announced here.
Old 07-01-03, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by WillyShatsWig
The second season has now been announced here.
Very cool! Thanks for the update. And it is being released on my birthday, I will accept a preorder as a gift

Is this the last season or is there a 3rd? And any word on that one off special that was supposed to be aired around easter time (mentioned earlier in this thread), is that included ... did it even happen?
Old 07-01-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news!......this is the last(??) series to have been aired here in the UK..as to whether there is going to be a 3rd etc? that's very much down to speculation and in all honesty would seem fairly unlikely.....as to that one-off special...no..it never happened at Easter..or if it did i missed it
Old 07-01-03, 06:56 PM

The creators have gone on record stating that they will make no more series of The Office, but there will be the occasional one-off specials for Xmas etc.
Old 07-02-03, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank God! No more Office. That's the BBC for you - kill the series before it kills itself. I'm glad they have the sense to pull the plug on a series before it becomes stale - go out on top.

RUN, don't walk, to amazon.co.uk t pick the sets up.

Ah, I see you're at your computer already! Well, what's your hold-up?
Old 07-02-03, 09:41 AM
Cool New Member

I also second the recommendations of The Office -- truly a brilliant sitcom, although it will make you cringe. As much as I would like 100 episodes of this show, it is very cool that we'll only have 12. This will go down, along with Fawlty Towers, as an all-time classic series.

I recommend People Like Us for those who like The Office -- it has a lighter tone, but it is a fake documentary series that profiles different careers in each episode (realtor, policeman, photographer). The unseen narrator/documentarian is a complete incompetent. The humor is often very dry, but it reminded me of a cross between The Office (cringeworthy moments) and the movies of Christopher Guest.
Old 07-02-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Anyone heard anything about the second series of "Phoenix Nights" being released on DVD ?