Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

HDTV and Xbox (or any console)??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTV and Xbox (or any console)??

Ok here's the deal, my roommate is moving out in a few weeks and offered to sell me his 64" Pioneer Elite HDTV (rear projection of course). It's a sweet TV, two years old so it has three years left on the warranty he bought, and he's offering it to me for a very GOOD price.

HOWEVER,
I've heard nothing but bad things about playing video games on these kinds of TV's. My roommate used to freak out at home movies that had the date in white at the bottom for more than 5 minutes claiming it will burn the image into the screen. I'm trying to find a site that has straight facts on this, how damaging video games are to the TV, but it's hard to find. Does anybody know of the dangers of playing console games on a TV like this one?? If these things are that friggin easy to destroy, I'll be d@mned if I'm gonna drop a couple grand on one, but I can't seem to find any real info anywhere.
Old 01-22-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Is it calibrated? As long as the contrast and such aren't in torch mode (as they generally are straight out of the box) and you don't subject it to excessive wear, you should be fine.

This is a frequent topic of discussion on various home theater forums. Here's one from the HTF, if you don't mind clicking over to another site.
Old 01-22-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had Xbox, PS2, and a DVD player set to my WS HDTV for a year now and there's been no burn-in, due to the fact I properly calibrated it.
Old 01-22-03, 12:51 PM

Yeah, he calibrated it when he bought it, so it should be good.
Old 01-22-03, 09:55 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

xpac, you should recalibrate, and tv especially a rptv needs a calibration done alot more than once, just get avia or another "test" dvd, do the calibration and limit gameplay while also watching movies and tv in all of the aspect ratios and you should be fine, just DO NOT PAUSE a game and fall asleep, or you WILL get burn in
Old 01-23-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, the if the xbox is left on without any controller input for about ten minutes it goes into sleep mode where it dims the screen way down. My kids do this all the time. I've been running my PS2, Xbox, and DC for two years know on my 65" Mits and it looks just as good as the day I bought it.
Old 01-23-03, 08:33 AM

Cool thanks guys, yeah I guess my biggest worry is to make sure my other roommate doesn't leave the games on pause. Again thanks for all the responses.