Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pop Singer Anastacia Has Breast Cancer

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan of her music, but a shame nonetheless.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ople_anastacia
Old 01-21-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a fan either. But still sad to see anyone have any kind of cancer.
Old 01-21-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad news indeed.

But she's only 29, I'd bet she has a good shot a beating it.
Old 01-22-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm not a fan of her music, but I am a fan of her voice. [and body...]

Old 01-22-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I'll say it everytime a cancer post pops up, people are getting cancer "left and right" and still tons more money goes to AIDS research....a disease that's "much easier to avoid" than cancer IMHO.....

From a '98 article on CNN.com

I doubt much has changed. But I could be wrong. And oh, before anyone flames, this is not to say we shouldn't be fighting AIDS.

In 1996, with more than a half million cancer deaths, the National Institutes of Health dedicated $2.5 billion to cancer research. With over 32,000 AIDS deaths, $1.4 billion went to AIDS research. And with more than three-quarters of a million heart disease fatalities, $851 million went to cardiovascular research.

A blue-ribbon panel appointed by the Institute of Medicine broke it down this way: For every $10 spent per cancer death on cancer research, $110 is spent per AIDS death on AIDS research and $3 is spent per heart disease death on heart disease research.

Cardiologists say most people don't realize heart disease is the nation's top killer, particularly because there's no organized popular lobby for it.

"Those groups that speak the loudest or strike a particular note among the public or among legislators may get a proportion of the research dollar that is out of proportion to the number of victims of that particular disease," said Dr. Staurt Seides, a past president of the Washington American Heart Association.

article

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-22-03 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This is America. It doesn't surprise me in the least.

The only way things really get rolling is if someone "important" gets the disease which then puts the spotlight on it. Otherwise, fuggetaboutit.

Makes me think of what Chris Rock said about nothing being cured lately. Or even the SNL Weekend Update where Tina reported that [IIRC] scientists figured out what causes people to cry while peeling onions. [Or something like that...]

I hope she beats this. First Crohn's disease, now this...some people have all the luck.