Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Naked Lunch Japanese DVD Question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-03, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me if the subtitles are removeable on the Japanese edition of NAKED LUNCH? This disk sounds great but I want to make sure the subs aren't distracting throughout the film. Any other information on the transfer quality is appreciated.
Old 01-23-03, 07:26 PM

I wholeheartedly recommend this disc!

The subtitles are removable. The sound is remastered in 5.1 (although not terribly active with surrounds), the 16x9 transfer is absolutely, breathtakingly stunning, with vivid colours and incredible detail.

It also includes the in-depth 50-minute documentary "Naked Making Lunch" (also with removable subtitles), the US trailer, and half of David Cronenberg's commentary. Believe it or not, the second hour of his recording was lost - so half of the commentary is completely silent - quite a loss based on what remains.

Other than for that glitch, I can't imagine you'll ever see a more satisfying edition of the film.

jd
Old 01-23-03, 08:09 PM

Here's a screen capture to wet your appetite...

jd
Old 01-23-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks beautiful! I saw this film screened theatrically a couple of months ago, and, sadly, I still just don't like it (although I consider myself a big fan of Cronenberg's work in general). I would, however, absolutely love to hear that commentary. Still, I don't think the price of the Japanese disc is worth my while. Here's to hoping that the commentary appears on a DVD from another country. Who released the DVD? It's a Fox property here in the U.S....

DJ
Old 01-26-03, 12:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Considering I doubt this will ever get released in the U.S., and the Japanese edition has so much, I just ordered it. I can finally retire that full-frame laserdisc.
Old 01-26-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Considering I doubt this will ever get released in the U.S.
Why do you think that? It's a Fox property, and they're not particularly notorious for not releasing catalog titles (like, say, Warner is). I would think that Fox would get around to it eventually...

DJ
Old 01-27-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd pick this up, but with the cost of Japanese disc's and with half of Cronenberg's commentary missing, it just doesn't seem worth it and slightly ticked off about it too....Anyone know if there will a new pressing with a restored commentary?