Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Brazil's CITY OF GOD

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Brazil's CITY OF GOD

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-03, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brazil's CITY OF GOD

Does anyone know if this film is available on DVD from a South American DVD source?
Old 01-21-03, 11:42 PM

yeah, if anyone knows this please let us know! i'm dying fr any dvd info(any region) on this flick!
Old 01-24-03, 06:58 PM

I just saw the movie in theater today. It was such a great movie. Kind of Bloody but very very good storytelling. Love it. Love it. Love it.
Old 01-25-03, 08:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
after seeing this yesterday, my jaw was literally on the floor, the movie just wowed me from the first shot of the film to the end. I was really suprised the levels of violence were retained in the American R-rated cut. I can't wait to hear if and when this movie gets released on DVD.
Old 01-25-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
City Of God

In Theaters: January 17, 2003
On Video: Estimated for June 2003

Source: www.videoeta.com
Old 03-09-03, 04:52 PM

bumpin this.

is this out on ANY region dvd? i HAVE to own this on disc!
Old 03-09-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

might want to look in the non-R1 store forum and see for any Brazilian etailers. They might have some info.

A few days ago I read some info from a South African etailer but cant find the web page now...(spent the last 15min. looking and cant believe I lost it),
Old 03-09-03, 11:19 PM

aww man! well if u do find that site(or anything else) please drop a line here, i'd really appreciate it. i've been searchin all over the place(brazilian e-taliers etc) but no luck :-(
Old 03-10-03, 09:21 AM

i agree, i saw this at the theater last month and it was pretty amazing..definitely worth a look on DVD

skokefoe.
Old 03-10-03, 04:59 PM

Did this movie come out in Brazil a while back? If yes maybe, it is out by now.
Old 03-10-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would really like to see this. Hopefully, a release somewhere in the world will be coming soon.
Old 03-19-03, 10:09 PM

bumpin this again
Old 04-05-03, 06:39 PM

bumpin this yet again. if someone knows anything PUH-LEASEEEEEEEE respond asap!. thanks
Old 04-06-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing out yet that i can find, a good barometer is EBAY, when something comes out it always hits there as soon as possible.
Old 04-06-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok I said June, looks like it could be May in south america at least:

"Cidade de Deus, cuja versão em DVD só deve ser lançada em maio." (The DVD of Cidade de Deus is scheduled for May.)

http://veja.abril.com.br/vejasp/220103/policia.html

Don't be fooled by:

"...que vende cerca de quinze cópias por dia"

Which means :"... he sells about 15 copies a day". This article is about pirating/bootlegs and street vendors in Sao Paulo.

Now stop whining and wait.
Old 04-07-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

..nothing (yet) on this (Brazilian) site (which, by the way, proudly claims to be
O site mais completo de informações... so there...!...)

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-07-03 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-15-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blackstar.co.uk has a July 7th date listed for the R2 DVD.
Old 05-30-03, 07:24 AM

Yep, 7/7 over here in the uk
Old 05-30-03, 11:04 AM

I know this is INTL talk, but how about a R1 release, it got limited release in the city cineplexes, but c'mon MORE people needs to watch this movie.
Old 07-01-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is about the Brazilian release. It includes a 53 min documentary, deleted scenes, and commentary. This is translated with babblefish. Note that I got some of the above info from another article which said "over 3 hrs of extras". Looks like it was out on June 17th but oddly enough I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere... Granted I didn't look very hard.

I don't know if "english legends" means english subs or if it's just a bad translation of something else. And my portuguese is rather rusty.

16/06/2003 - 19h53

In DVD, "City of God" it focuses workshop of actors of the mount
of Online Leaf

Little less of one year after its launching in Brazil, the film "City of God" (Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund) arrives in DVD at the landlords in this tuesday (17) with an extra that it will show as the workshop was made that selected the actors, formed majority of children and devoid adolescents of the Carioca mounts.

Spreading

The layer of the DVD of "City of God"

The set of documents, of 53 min., it was produced in this year and directed by Ana Braga, and arrives at opportune moment, therefore it shows the reality of young that they had searched, in the workshop, a chance to the traffic of drugs.

In the passed friday, the actor Rubens Sabino Da Silva, 19, that he played the role of Neguinho in "City of God", was imprisoned for trying to steal the stock market of a woman in the south zone of the River. It among others participated of the workshop of the group "We of the Mount", that he turned "We the Cinema" to make "City of God", works, with children, adolescents and young of the Carioca mounts.

The set of documents goes of meeting to the case of the actor, and shows depositions of the young that had participated of the workshop.

Fans

The documentary "Workshop of Actors" brings depositions of the proper actors, interviews with the director and the team of the film, beyond images the workshops, showing the process that led about 200 amateur actors if becoming the personages of "City of God".

"my idea when choosing to work with amateur actors was to give bigger truth to the film. So that the spectator looked at Zé Small e did not see an actor making the Small Zé, and yes the proper Small Zé. It wanted to eliminate this filter that generally exists in the films ", said Fernando Meirelles. "We knew that excellent actors existed, already ready, in the slum quarters of the River. We needed to find them and to train them so that they were apt to carry through what we were considering."

To select the actors, representatives of the O2 films had covered the Carioca mounts making interviews with about 2.000 candidates. Of these, 400 had been chosen, that they had started to make tests in video. After new filter, the half of these candidates was selected to integrate a species of school, "We of the Cinema".

Under the supervision of Guti Fraga, that already possuía experience in working with not professional actors come of slum quarters due to its project "We of the Mount", the selected candidates if had prepared for three daily hours, during five months, of September the December of 2000. They made, without having knowledge of the script and improvising the dialogues, writings with similar situations to those of the film "City of God".

The film

"City of God" remained during 40 weeks consecutive in the Brazilian cinemas, made a public of 3.310.000 spectators and still are in poster in one or another room.

The film received 26 national and international prizes, between them indications to the Gold Globe and the Bafta, the English prize.

"City of God" is the third longone of Fernando Meirelles, who co-directed with Fabrizia Alves Young chicken "the Boy Maluquinho 2 the Adventure" (1996) and directed "Domestic, the Film" (with Nando Olival, in 2001).

"City of God" also arrives at the landlords in video, but without the extra of the workshop of actors.

"City of God" (DVD and video)
When: from terça, day 17, in the landlords
Format of screen: 4:3 Letterbox, with interactive menu
Audio: Digital Dolby 5.1 and 2.0 Portuguese, with legends in English
Extras of the DVD: election of chapters, commentaries in audio, documentary of the workshop of actors, announcement of the COMPACT DISC "City of Remix God", announcement of the book of the script of the film "City of God"

Link to original article:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/i...90u34141.shtml
Old 07-01-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok well here's one but it says "future release"...

It does list Spanish, Portuguese, French, and English subs though.

http://www.cinedvd.com.br/Filme.asp?...&nIdFilme=5652
Old 07-01-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm...

This title has a high price because it will be released only for rental market at this first time (the retail version -- for about $25.00 -- is forecast to release at the end of this year).
http://www.dvdbrazil.com/comersus/st...?idproduct=574
Old 07-02-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think that I will wait for th R2 release....August 25th.
Old 07-02-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, the exact dates are...................?