Reload this Page >

WWII Computer War Games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WWII Computer War Games

Old 01-15-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWII Computer War Games

Is there anyone here that played AH or SPI war games back in the '70's or '80's that plays the current tactical and strategic WWII computer games?

Currently I am playing:
Strategic Command
Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
Steel Panthers: World at War

I'm also looking at buying the new "Hearts of Iron".

Anyway, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one around here who plays these types of games, so I'd like to see if there is anyone else.

BTW,
If you haven't played them and are interested, check out:
www.matrixgames.com
www.battlefront.com
Old 01-15-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't play many WW2 games because most are RTS and I generally dislike all RTS. I do love WW2 however so I really should check out some of these games. Hearts of Iron is probably the first game I'll try since I love Europa Universalis 2 and HOI is based on that system.
Old 01-15-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To get started, You should try Steel Panthers. It's a free download from Matrixgames (be aware though, it is about 400MB). Awesome game.
Old 01-15-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Free eh?
Old 01-15-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a huge fan of Panzer General II and I spent many addictive hours playing it over and over and over.

Right now I'm on a huge TalonSoft kick,
Rising Sun
East Front II
West Front

Panzer Elite
BF1942
Old 01-16-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmm... aren't the Combat Mission games supposed to be the end all be all of tactical WW2 wargames? I played around quite a bit with the demo for the first one, and I have the demo for the 2nd one... I like these types of games, but suck at them, and usually loose patience trying to learn them.

Brian
Old 01-16-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I love the Close Combat series games. They are real-time strategy, but they game usually moves at slow enough of a pace that it doesn't turn into a mad click fest. If you haven't tried these games out, give em a chance. There are a ton of good mods and plugins available on the Net. You can find the second and third game for pretty cheap: usually about $10. The third game is the best in the series.

Playing online against an experienced opponent is a real challenge. You can often outnumber a veteran and they will hand your ass back to you.
Old 01-16-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kellehair
Free eh?
Yeah... The game was originally released by SSI as just "Steel Panthers". Matrix games got permission from them to modify the code and improve the game, but they were not allowed to sell it. So they have it for free for download. They do sell what they call "Mega Campaigns", which are add ons, but they are not needed to play the game itself.
Old 01-16-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bdshort
Hmm... aren't the Combat Mission games supposed to be the end all be all of tactical WW2 wargames? I played around quite a bit with the demo for the first one, and I have the demo for the 2nd one... I like these types of games, but suck at them, and usually loose patience trying to learn them.

Brian
The combat mission games are incredible. If you suck at the new one, they have a newly released book that helps you learn how to play and win. It's normally available at their website, but they ran out and are printing more.