Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone try the Newtype-USA magazine?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new Newtype magazine - it's expensive - $10 each... but comes w/ a dvd

any impressions?

www.newtype-usa.com
Old 01-14-03, 11:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Personally, I love the magazine. I use to get the Japanese version, but being that I don't read Japanese, found it somewhat useless after awhile other than a collection of pictures.

The US version is great however. First, it's a very dense magazine with ALOT to read. Literally, I'd still be reading the prior month's issue when the new one arrives. Second, it's a mix of translated Japanese articles and newly created localized articles pertaining to the US market. Third, although mostly about anime, NewtypeUSA also covers other asian related items: thing such as Japanese (live action) movies, cultural things, etc. It's a nice mix of things.

I will have to say there is still alot of room for improvement, but the staff seems to be listening to constructive criticisms and been implementing them. For example, people were complaining about the sharpness of the manga in the magazine, and in issue #3, the difference and improvement in the sharpness was amazing.

Some people have been having problems with their subscription, although I chalk it up to the magazine being so new. My first 2 issues were late, but the 3rd one came pretty much on time.

The sample episode included in each of the DVDs for the first 3 episodes has been dub only so far.

Of course, it all depends on taste: however, I DEFINITELY recommend buying one issue to give it a try. The lastest issue is the January 2003 issue, and the DVD comes with the first episode of "Noir".
Old 01-14-03, 11:32 AM
Cool New Member

I am a subscriber as well. Its a great magazine! Not quite perfect, but the staff is very receptive to input from subscribers. Subscricption for 1 year was about $90, so that is about $8/issue.

The magazine is definitely for the Anime die hard, it is hard to gaige from my point of view if the casual fan would get much out of it. I do read it from cover to cover, have yet to finish the third issue.

Pick up an issue, and give it a sample. Issue 3 is great with the articles on Macross Zero.

Keith
Old 01-17-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, where to start.

I have been a fan of Newtype (japan) for many many years. No I don't read much japanese at all. Wish I could. So I was very happy to hear about Newtype US when it was announced. Got the premiere issue at a convention, thought it was 'ok', needed imprvement definitely.

They have gotten better as they go, but I still prefer the Japanese one. It is definitely more towards the hardcore anime fan (which I am) so if you aren't DLing digisubs you might not know a few of the things in the mag.

I like the postcards and poster extras, though quality wise they are nothing compared to the Japanese mag. And the DVD would be a great addition IF THEY SUBBED THEM. I refuse to watch dubbed anime (yes i am a sub-nazi...) and the one thing I tried watching that I really wanted to buy "Chance Pop(Triangle) Session" was dubbed on the disc and totally ruined the show for me. The Newtype Japan mags have been coming with DVDs also lately and they are usually a much better quality as well. Though my complaint is unlike it's american counterpart, when Newtype-Japan include a DVD you lose some other extras.

My biggest complaint with Newtype USA is the price. I get my Newtype Japan CHEAPER than I have to spend on Newtype USA. I buy my Newtype Japans at a bookstore and pay roughly 6.50 - 7.50 for it. Where as I pay atleast 8 for Newtype USA in the few places it is available.

If they would drop the price and include a japanese language track w/ subs on the DVDs it would be a much better buy. Hell IIRC the Noir episode even had a 5.1 track.

(btw, if you are interested, my fledgling anime site: animeGlitch http://anime.chaostatic.net drop by and breathe some life into the forums )

Last edited by fnordboy; 01-17-03 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-19-03, 07:11 PM

i love Newtype, even though i don't watch a lot of fansubs. as an anime junky it's an excellent magazine. the free dvd definetly makes the $10 price worthy.
Old 01-26-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i picked up the 1st 4 issues. and it's growing on me.

my main criticism is the inconsistent left to right format. i've been thinking about this and i think even w/in the page, the format should be left to right. so column 1 is on the far right.

i find the dvd's to be pretty worthless so far. noir, which i've been reading good reviews, looked so boring to me (maybe b/c it's a first episode?).

i agree that it's on the expensive side.

i think i will have to stop buying them b/c of this. $10/issue=dvd(almost).

overall, i like it quite a bit.
Old 01-26-03, 11:25 PM

i'm drooling over Noir for the action sequences alone. the plot seems pretty stereotypical but i think i'll enjoy it. Noir and Rahxephon are going to be the biggest anime sellers this year, at least this first half of the year.
Old 01-27-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Franksta
i'm drooling over Noir for the action sequences alone. the plot seems pretty stereotypical but i think i'll enjoy it. Noir and Rahxephon are going to be the biggest anime sellers this year, at least this first half of the year.
Yeah I would have to agree. They will most likely be the top sellers along with .hack//Sign. Especially after .hack airs on tv.

I have only seen one episode of Noir and it seems like it wont be anything groundbreaking, but I think it will be good. I have 2 Noir OSTs and I enjoy them, so that is reason enough for me to pick up the series. That being said, I couldnt watch more than 5 mins of the Noir disc in the Newtype (woo brought it back on topic ).