Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great site for movie recommendations

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

www.filmaffinity.com/en/main

A database of about 10,000 movies to rate, after which you will receive recommendations and "Movie Soulmates" (people with the same taste as you).

http://movielens.umn.edu/main.cgi is a competitor with a slicker website and search engine, but far fewer films to choose from.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 01-13-03 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link! But it doesn't seem to have some of the slightly more obscure titles I searched for.

I tend to use www.allmovie.com for my reviewing needs, FWIW.

Old 01-13-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Well sure, these sites are not meant to replace IMDb, AllMovie, MRQE, TVGuide Cinebooks database.

They are not for reading reviews, but rather for extracting titles of films you might like, based on your ratings. I find FilmAffinity has a fairly comprehensive collection of seldom-seen films in its database, and is probably expanding daily.
Old 01-13-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Norm de Plume
Well sure, these sites are not meant to replace IMDb, AllMovie, MRQE, TVGuide Cinebooks database.

They are not for reading reviews, but rather for extracting titles of films you might like, based on your ratings. I find FilmAffinity has a fairly comprehensive collection of seldom-seen films in its database, and is probably expanding daily.
OIC. Looks like I'll have to spend a little more time with it than the 30 seconds it took for me to look up Les Dames Du Bois De Boulogne and eventually The Rock.