Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

About a Boy: Movie -vs- Book

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else out there seen the movie and read the book by Nick Hornby?

I read the book before I saw the DVD, for the most part it keeps true to the book. However, Marcus's "girl friend" plays a prominent role in the book that she doesn't in the movie.

In fact, the last 1/4 of the novel or so was completely re-written for the movie. Although the Mystikal bit was a bit funny, for those who haven't read the book. Nirvana and Kurt Cobain played a large role in the book.

So, did you like the movie ending with the school concert bit or do you wish the movie would have stayed true to novel? Marcus travels north to his dad's on a train and it coincides with the suicide of Kurt Cobain. Allie (wasn't that his girl friend's name?) goes mental and throws a rock through a record store front window displaying a picture of Kurt Cobain. (She thinks the store is exploiting his death.) The police pick up Marcus and Allie. Pretty much the end. There was no talk of Marcus "cheering up" his mom like in the movie. The more I think about it, although entertaining, the re-worked ending was very Hollywood-ized to try to make a happier ending which really didn't exist in the novel.

Anyone else's thoughts?
Old 01-13-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't think that the book ending would have worked on film. It just would not have carried the weight that was needed for closure on screen. Most of the things that are worked out in the book ending are changes that take place to Marcus internally. He does a lot of thinking which doesn't really translate well to the screen. I had no problem with the change and think the film ending worked just fine.
Old 02-22-14, 10:15 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: About a Boy: Movie -vs- Book

Vs. TV show now.
Old 02-22-14, 10:16 PM
Suspended

So apparently in the TV show Will wrote the song now and in the movie his Dad wrote the classic Christmas song.
Old 02-22-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I vote movie, didnt read the book and the kid on the show looks like a little hipster lesbian.
Old 02-23-14, 12:28 AM
Suspended

I watched the pilot, it's basically the movie compressed into 30 minutes with no heart.
Old 02-23-14, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I watched the pilot, it's basically the movie compressed into 30 minutes with no heart.
Ugh. You could tell from those awful commercials. Did they really need to rehash the movie for the TV show? Why not just pick up where the film left off, if they had to do a show at all? Is this from the makers of "Parenthood" (the TV show)? Because it has that same sappy feel. Anyway, no thank you. Huge fan of the book and especially the movie. Hollywood's well just keep getting drier.
Old 02-23-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Love both the book and film of About A Boy. They are sort of like comfort food for me, I've read the book about three times over the years and seen the movie about half a dozen times and they always cheer me up.

I do like the "Hollywood" ending of the movie (hey, Hollywood does a lot of stuff right!). It makes for a very satisfying conclusion.

I like Hornby as a writer, but have always been annoyed by his adoration for American pop-culture and music. I don't doubt he is a big movie and music geek, but it often feels very shoehorned into his work. It calls too much attention to itself and feels like the thoughts of the writer rather than the characters. I dislike that he takes it for granted I consider Kobain a genius and his tragic suicide an important moment in history instead of writing about it in such a way that makes me believe so. I'm not moved by his the girls reaction to his death, she just comes off like an idiot.

I remember being shocked when I saw A Single Man a few years back and saw the now grown up Marcus. Man, that kid turned out looking weird.
Old 02-23-14, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen

I remember being shocked when I saw A Single Man a few years back and saw the now grown up Marcus. Man, that kid turned out looking weird.
Of course he is dating Jennifer Lawrence.
Old 02-23-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The movie rocks.
Old 02-23-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love both the book and film of About A Boy. They are sort of like comfort food for me, I've read the book about three times over the years and seen the movie about half a dozen times and they always cheer me up.

I do like the "Hollywood" ending of the movie (hey, Hollywood does a lot of stuff right!). It makes for a very satisfying conclusion.

I like Hornby as a writer, but have always been annoyed by his adoration for American pop-culture and music. I don't doubt he is a big movie and music geek, but it often feels very shoehorned into his work. It calls too much attention to itself and feels like the thoughts of the writer rather than the characters. I dislike that he takes it for granted I consider Kobain a genius and his tragic suicide an important moment in history instead of writing about it in such a way that makes me believe so. I'm not moved by his the girls reaction to his death, she just comes off like an idiot.

What a great post. I feel the same about reading the book several times and watching the movie numerous times over the years. Both very comforting. I fell in love with Hornby's writing when "High Fidelity" came out. And I read that book many times too. I hated that they Americanized it for the film version. Regardless of the great Stephen Frears behind the camera. I also agree with you about Nick using too many pop culture references in his writing. Did you see the trailer for "A Long Way Down"? I hope the film does the book justice. About Nicholas Hoult looking weird in "A Single Man". No weirder looking than in "About a Boy". Sorry, but that was one ugly kid

Side note, if you like Nick Hornby's writing style, I urge you to pick up "London Boulevard" by Ken Bruen. Very similar. I loved that book so much, and Ken's writing, I bought everything else he's done.
Old 02-23-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Side note, if you like Nick Hornby's writing style, I urge you to pick up "London Boulevard" by Ken Bruen. Very similar. I loved that book so much, and Ken's writing, I bought everything else he's done.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for it the next time I'm at the library. I haven't heard of Ken Bruen but I don't read very much crime fiction.
Old 02-23-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for it the next time I'm at the library. I haven't heard of Ken Bruen but I don't read very much crime fiction.
Ahhh, I see you Googled or Wiki'd Ken "London Boulevard" is a stand alone novel. Not really crime fiction. You'll see when you read it. But, Ken has two other series of books based on two separate characters. And both of those series are indeed crime fiction. But have some humor thrown in too. Back to "Boulevard", it's such a fun and quick read. I read it in one day. Just couldn't put it down. And all Ken's books are also fun and clever. Even if they tend to get dark. But "Boulevard" is his masterpiece IMO. Please please don't watch the movie until you read the book. If you watch it at all that is.