TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Music Awards tonight

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Music Awards tonight

OK. Time to diss the AMA's again.

Actually, I usually like this music awards show. I will also need to see what Xtina is (not) wearing and performing.
Old 01-13-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just love hearing on the news shows what each performer and presenter are receiving for being on the AMAs! It makes me want to see the show even more!

Old 01-13-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Mariah Carey's heartfelt tribute to herself has been the highlight so far.
Old 01-13-03, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it wasn't a tribute to herself, it was dedicated to her deceased father and to show people she overcame all the events of last year ( her physical breakdown, her glitter failure ).

I can understand some people might not like her, but stop dissing her in here.
Old 01-13-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by mcbg1
...and to show people she overcame all the events of last year ( her physical breakdown, her glitter failure ).
...so it was a tribute to herself?
Old 01-13-03, 09:58 PM
Banned

it wasn't a tribute to herself, she just wanted to tell people who said her career was over ,etc because of last year's events that she's as strong as before. She had to do it to regain her image, it wasn't just to make her feel good about herself, it was just a message she wanted to give to the public.

I know last year wasn't great for her but I still think she's pretty talented so if you don't like her, that's fine. Just stop dissing her every time her name is mentionned.
Old 01-13-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Ok. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt -- FOR NOW [since I haven't watched it yet].

As far as "dissing" her...if the situation warrants it, it shall be done. Sorry. Not everyone holds the same opinion as you. If this was a "Mariah Carey Appreciation Thread" and everyone started "dissing" her, that would be defined as a and would be wrong. This, is not.

And for the record she had her chance AFAIC...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...17#post3025817
Old 01-13-03, 10:09 PM

I think an awards show officially tanks when most of the winners do not even bother to show up. When I turned it on Alabama was accepting for a lifetime award. All of the performers I seen sounded washed out. Too bad I missed Shania's performance. Did she suck like everyone else did? Actually that coke unsigned band wasn't half bad

Oh and mcbg1 I think Mariah Carey has lawyers to protect her. Chill out people just love to disagree on this forum. Don't get all bent out of shape. If it's any consellation I am still hoping for a Paula Abdul comeback
Old 01-14-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Elton & Timmy -- Wow. That took a lot of cojones for Elton to perform with a homoph...waitasec...that was Grammys. My bad. Anyway, both performances were boring with a capital "B".

• the Opening credits were just announced. I don't care about any of these people. Should I be watching this?

Lenny K's presenting first. Smart man. Get in first. Get out quick.

• Wow. Except for the neck thingie, Paula A's looking quite good. I second that comeback.

Ashanti. Best new R&B artist. She wouldn't get past the first round of Star Search.

Matchbox 20. oops, sorry...matchbox twenty. Good band. Bad song. Don't care if Mick Jagger helped write it.

• Oooo Beyoncé & Solangé. They both sucké. Good plug for your sis B. Please go back to the Knowles cult ranch.

• Oooo Disco Is Back! With KC & the Sunshine Band. Gloria Gaynor. the Village People. Mya. Usher. & Aaron Carter. I must've missed the last three's disco albums.

• 31 minutes have passed. 2:29 left. Can I really make it through this...?

• Christina Aguilera. Bad songs. Good voice. [well, better than her last live performance that I saw] Best of all? She's clothed. Glad to see Pink made it possible for Linda Perry to get work again.

• Hey! This guy is accepting an award for "Spiderman" wearing a "Superman" t shirt! Blasphemy. Wait. Did that suit just say it was "one of the great movie songs of this or any year"?

• Awwwww. Creed wasn't there to accept their award? I was hoping Scott would stumble in and pass out on the stage...

• "Bump, Bump, Bump"? B2K? Next...

• "Welcome Recording star AND film actress...Britney Spears"?

Shania said she was going to stop touring. Let's hope she keeps her word & stays in Switzerland! [sorry. it's an obligatory thing that everything related to Shania have a minimum or one exclamation point! -- check her album]

• Oooh...a Courtney Cox coke commercial [say that three times fast]...the hits just keep on coming.

Alabama. Don't necessarily like 'em. Don't dislike 'em. Good to see they're getting the Award Of Merit. The way this show is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to give it to Nelly.

• Oooo...Nickelback in 1:85 widescreen! Wonder if it's anamorphic? They were given a standing ovation for the pyro, right ?

• Does anyone think it's cool to plug ones album instead of reading the teleprompter? Then again, Tyrese DOES look good for giving birth to 3 kids!

Mariah Carey
"She's got the best boobie job i've ever seen!"
"Performing her "Hit" single"? Where was it a "hit"? In Madagascar?
William Fuld? You're wrong. It wasn't a tribute to herself. It was her final project for the "Michael Jackson School Of Self-Importance" that she's enrolled in.

• Pop/Rock New Artist...Ashanti. Does the New Artist curse apply to the AMAs too?

• Ja Rule & Bobby -- As much as I hate to do this to the "King Of R&B", if there's no weed involved, i'm not interested.

• Oooo...they got into an airplane! I was going to make some crass Aaliyah plane crash joke/reference regarding them, but I actually liked Aaliyah.

• Who in the hell is NaNa? They look like Sigfried & Roy's first cousins that are married to each other...

You didn't think you were going to be there Nelly? We were hoping you weren't going to be there.

Tim McGraw got the HELL outta there.

• Yes Sheryl. We read your shirt.

• Wow. They waited til the very end to mention Maurice Gibb's passing. No mention of Joe Strummer either...Oh, what the hell am I expecting. This has been an hour of my life wasted. Thank god Conan's on. If he wasn't, i'd have to get the bleach to rinse out my eyes and ears...
Old 01-14-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, Dick, I think you are big on quantity over quality: most of the performances sucked, especially Kelly Osborne and that pathetic rendition of the pathetic Ja Rule/Bobby Brown duet. What a waste of electricity. And I feel badly for matchbox twenty: they were the only ones with sound problems. I like "Disease", but they were a bit off, probably because the guitars went haywire.

Yay! Christina Aguilera put on clothes. She could have sang better. The songs wern't so bad, but I think she could have done better. And was Britney Spears crying? I've heard the songs before, and I wasn't that moved. Maybe she thought they it was a really bad performance, and started to tear up.

I agree that the Mariah performance was pretty much a tribute to herself. And she didn't even sing half of the song, it was all the choir and backup singers. I've yet to see one of those "classic" Mariah performances in a long, long time, and doing that weird screech thing to make people's ears bleed does not count. I think she's lost her voice, such a shame.

I thought that Nickelback performance was an old one - I wasn't paying attention and thought it was one of the older clips being aired because of the 30th anniversity. I bet the band must be sick of playing that damn song live, and the I think they overdid the pyro.

Bravo to Eminem, Dixie Chicks, Mary J. Blige, and whoever also didn't bother to show up - this is dull, dull, a bit loud, and dull. Total waste of time.
Old 01-14-03, 01:13 AM

seriously it blew goats balls. the only thing cool was the little white girl dancing in the missy elliot joint.
Old 01-14-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I missed it, what did Sheryl's shirt say?
Old 01-14-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"War Is Not the Answer"
Old 01-14-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While flipping around the channels last night by chance I caught the first few minutes of this. I watched who was going to be on the show and was just beyond belief how wretched this music program looked to be. Not that it's ever been worth watching. If I had seen just one act I like I would have recorded it to watch just that. Instead I moved on...
Old 01-14-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Yes, major-league suck-o. That show blew. I thought Shania was okay, but that was about it.

About Nickleback in 1.85:1, I was wondering if they were showing a prerecorded performance of that song. I was thinking this might be a way around the unwritten rule about not performing at both the AMA's and the Grammys (where How You Remind Me is inexplicably nominated for record of the year). What do you think?
That rule really hurt the AMAs this year where all the B-level new talent (ie Vanessa Carlton, Avril, Ashanti) joined the A-level veterans (Springsteen, Dixie Chicks, Eminem) as multiple nominees and therefore non-performers. Normally there's a slew of young pop artists who are very successful, but ignored by the Grammys to fill the AMAs roster (i.e. NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Brittany, ect).

BTW: Am I just an old fogey or had anyone else ever heard of "Nappy Roots"?
Old 01-14-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The only mildly amusing part of the night was Kelly Osbourne sitting on the lap of some guy in Nelly's entourage while singing. You could tell they wanted to bust a cap in that biznotch.
Old 01-14-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by El Scorcho
The only mildly amusing part of the night was Kelly Osbourne sitting on the lap of some guy in Nelly's entourage while singing. You could tell they wanted to bust a cap in that biznotch.
yo! the stoned old's guy's shortie has a big ole booty!
Old 01-14-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
"Britney, where's your mother?"

--Ozzy Osbourne
Old 01-14-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Favorite Pop/Rock 'n Roll Male Artist
Winner: Eminem
Enrique Iglesias
Nelly

Favorite Pop/Rock 'n Roll Female Artist
Winner: Sheryl Crow
Celine Dion
Pink

Favorite Pop/Rock 'n Roll Band, Duo or Group
Winner: Creed
Linkin Park
Nickelback

Favorite Pop/Rock 'n Roll Album
Ashanti — "Ashanti"
Winner: Eminem — "The Eminem Show"
Nelly — "Nellyville"
Pink — "M!ssundaztood"

Favorite Pop/Rock 'n Roll New Artist
Winner: Ashanti
Kelly Clarkson
Puddle Of Mudd

Favorite Hip-Hop/R&B Male Artist
Winner: Eminem
Ja Rule
Nelly

Favorite Hip-Hop/R&B Female Artist
Ashanti
Winner: Mary J. Blige
Jennifer Lopez

Favorite Hip-Hop/R&B Band, Duo or Group
B2K
Nappy Roots
Winner: OutKast

Favorite Hip-Hop/R&B Album
Ashanti — "Ashanti"
Winner: Eminem — "The Eminem Show"
Ludacris — "Word Of Mouf"
Nelly — "Nellyville"

Favorite New Hip-Hop/R&B Artist
Winner: Ashanti
B2K
Nappy Roots

Favorite Country Male Artist
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
Winner: Tim McGraw

Favorite Country Female Artist
Winner: Martina McBride
Jo Dee Messina
Lee Ann Womack

Favorite Country Band, Duo or Group
Brooks & Dunn
Winner: Dixie Chicks
Lonestar

Favorite Country Album
Kenny Chesney — "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems"
Winner: Dixie Chicks — "Home"
Alan Jackson — "Drive"
Toby Keith — "Unleashed"

Favorite Country New Artist
Kellie Coffey
Winner: Carolyn Dawn Johnson
Tommy Shane Steiner

Favorite Alternative Artist
Winner: Creed
Linkin Park
System Of A Down

Favorite Adult Contemporary
Vanessa Carlton
Winner: Celine Dion
Five For Fighting

Favorite Latin Music Artist
Marc Anthony
Winner: Enrique Iglesias
Shakira
Old 01-14-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio dj's this morning were complaining that you couldn't understand most of the Osbournes because of the Bleeps.
Old 01-14-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am so glad Eminem won the Pop/Rock Male Artist of the Year.

He rocks and rolls!

Same for Ashanti and her Pop/Rock Best New Artist.

Dick Clark. Do something better with your time. This was a waste.

The only awards show that have any merit to being considered a worthy accolade (although they all get dissed) are:

Oscar
Emmy
Tony
Golden Globes
Grammy
oh yeah and that IMAGE award for "BLACKS ONLY!"
and the ALMA's for "SPANISH ONLY!"

gotta have diversity.

the others are a freakin' waste of time. (People's Choice, AMA, Blockbuster Entertainment Awards)

And what is this about the AMA's and Grammys? I remember hearing of this, but was too long ago (a year?)
Old 01-14-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think if you perform on the AMA's, you can't perform on the Grammy's. That caused a "scandal" because Michael Jackson was set to appear on both, so they both fought over him. Personally, I would have let the other side have him.

I don't even think they do the Blockbuster Entertainment Awards anymore. I know the AFI Awards aren't televised anymore, since nobody showed up, or even both to watch. Add "Teen Choice Awards" and "Billboard Music Awards" to that list...utter wastes of time.
Old 01-14-03, 05:11 PM

It's not matchbox twenty's fault that their sound was off...they just need better guitar techs! It's happened before.
Well, they rocked anyways!!!!!!!

Christina Aguilera actually looked beautiful in a classy kind of way.

Last edited by bsktballDude1; 01-14-03 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
seriously it blew goats balls.

For a second there I thought I'd fallen asleep and found myself in a Fear Factor thread.

This award show is always bad and, along with the People's Choice Award show, needs to be canned.

Bring on the Golden Globes!
Old 01-14-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.