Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are you opinions on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-13-03, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I've been playing a lot of THPS3 lately and OH MY STARS AND GARTERS what a kickass fun game! I've already beaten it 6 times and have unlocked some really cool(if not a little wierd) characters...Private Carrera is my favorite so far

Anyway do you guys still play this game? I hear it's still a lot better than 4, despite being older. 4 is supposedly very dull and just a rehash. Plus from what I hear 4 is just way too difficult to the point of frustration.

So, who's your favorite player in part 3 and what's your favorite level? Is it true Rodney King is a hidden character and how do you unlock him? What's your highest combo? Do you prefer street tricks or vert\pipe tricks?

Lastly, how many of you own the PS2 version and play online? If so, is there any lag? Are there a lot of users that frequently play?
Old 01-13-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I haven't played four yet, but I've been pretty darn happy with three.

I prefer doing grinds and lip tricks. But I think it's strange that you get so few points for doing flip tricks ... but maybe that's because I haven't tried any hard ones.
Old 01-13-03, 02:56 AM
Mod Emeritus

I haven't played 4 yet, but 2 is a lot better than 3.
Old 01-13-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Tony Hawk 3, played it alot when I first got it. My favorite character is the hot chick I created myself, but built in characters, I'd have to say Darth Maul. There is no Rodney King in the game. My highest combo was somewhere around 300,000, but only on Rio stage (lots of verts then get on the rails and grind around a bunch of times, get off and do some manuals and use the casper flip glitch). I've played online and there's usually no lag. I played off hours and never seen more than a dozen players.
Old 01-13-03, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

THPS 3 is the only one in the series I've played(I have it for GC), and I find it very fun, though a bit irritating. The first few weeks I had it I couldn't put the controller down. I unlocked some stuff, but I still haven't finished the game, as finishing the last few missions on the cruise ship became a PITA - haven't played in probably 4 months.
My favorite levels would be Rio and Skater Island. My highest combo score in Rio is about 200,000, and like 260,000 or something on Skater Island I believe(it's been a while, I'll have to check my save stats). In Rio, I do nothing but grind the perimeter of the park, doing a kickflip between each grind. I can usually get up to about a 24 multiplier before I lose my balance, which leaves me with about 15-20 seconds more to do another grind around. In Skater Island, I would go straight, grind the first few railings, then get into the pools, start doing lots of tricks and manuals to build up the multiplier, then grind the edge of the pool for a huge multiplier. I would then jump off when my balance started getting too shaky, manual across to something else, and continue.
Sometime I'll get around to finishing it, and play through with some other characters.
Old 01-13-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The Tony Hawk series has been played religiously in my household(s). Tony Hawk 1 not so much as Tony Hawk 2, 3, and 4.

I think 3 is a great place for new people to start, because 4 is one of the most difficult games I've ever played (which is fine, seeing as how I've gotten 4,000,000 point combos in THPS3 w/out cheating and got tired of it). Given that, I have 100% all the characters in 3, but have yet to get that far in 4 (still working on unlocking Jenna Jameson).
Old 01-13-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THPS3 is my favorite game of the next gen systems...although Vice City is taking over.
Old 01-13-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TH3 really juiced up the speed from 1 and 2 which threw me off for a while, but I eventually got used to it. After a while I loved it enough to unlock each of the hidden characters. I recently started playing TH4 and I'm not liking it at all. I miss the level format of the first 3 games.
Old 01-13-03, 12:57 PM

THPS3 is a great game! It has a pretty steep learning curve, but few games will give you as much satisfaction when you succeed. It'll pushes your skills and keeps you coming back for more. I sold THPS3 before I picked up THPS4. I like 4 but I kind of wish I still had 3 to fool around with.
Old 01-13-03, 02:00 PM

Is there anywhere that sells 3 for cheap now that 4 is out??
For x-box btw!!!
Old 01-13-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
I've seen 3 for the XBox for $29.99 at a bunch of places (Target, Best Buy); don't think any lower than that.
Old 01-13-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think 3 is a great game, I played through it about 12 times. I thoroughly enjoyed each time.

My highest score is (I think) 7.5 million on the airport level (which involved a 4 million point, 100 trick combo). However, my largest accomplishment is getting over 1 million on the hidden level that has the eyeball pit thing (I think it's called Burnside) that took forever
Old 01-13-03, 05:04 PM

I love the THPS series, even though I'm just an average player. I've briefly played THPS2 on the PS1 and THPS3 on the Game Cube - just the first 3-4 levels each.

However I recently got an XBOX and I'm currently working thru THPS2x. Better graphics, more levels, and the custom soundtrack feature is great! A bargain for under $12 preowned.

I already have THPS3 ready to go when I get tired of 2x. And I figure THPS4 will be available in the $20 range by the time I'm done with 3.
Old 01-13-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've played all of the Tony games and 3 is by far the best.
Old 01-13-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Wazootyman
the airport level (which involved a 4 million point, 100 trick combo
Start, grind the belt, x-ray, ramp off, special manual, special air trick, grind, hop, special grind, hop, special grind, etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-14-03, 03:01 AM

I'm surprised not too many people like 4 that much. I love 4. Only cause you can do the challenges as you please or just mess around the levels and also for flatland tricks. I also love the massive size of the levels.