Reload this Page >

nfl2k3 help please (xbox)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-11-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there some secret voodoo ritual I need to do so I can pass in this game? Everytime I try a passing play I slap my head and say "WTF just happened????" It seems that when I move my QB around a bit I can't pass anymore. I hit A and I get a pump fake, hold A down and the QB stands still. Seems to do this all the time. Not every play but way too much. It's like if I drop back I am no longer allowed to throw or something. Then when I do throw my TE or WRs always drop the ball or it is an INT. It's driving me crazy.

I have begun to get the defense going a little better but offense just sucks.
Old 01-11-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the GC version, but I imagine things work the same. The passing game is tough to get a handle on. If you tap a button very lightly, you'll pump fake. Press it a little longer and you'll lob it. Hold it to throw it hard. There should be a button to hold down to scramble, and you can't pass if you're holding it.

The best way to complete passes is to pick plays with slants or crossing routes and throw when the receiver slants. When he makes his cut he should be open momentarily. You have to pay attention to the coverage as well, if you throw into double or triple coverage the ball is going to be tipped and it might get picked off. Another good thing to do is to run passing plays out of formations that make the defense expect a running play, like the I.

Make sure you start out on rookie difficulty, pro is very difficult initially.
Old 01-11-03, 02:29 PM
Shawn

I'd say the best way to begin passing in this game is to have a proven receiver. Whenever I pass to Terrell Owens, he catches it. But the same pass to JJ Stokes, and it's an incompletion.
Old 01-11-03, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Shawn
I'd say the best way to begin passing in this game is to have a proven receiver. Whenever I pass to Terrell Owens, he catches it. But the same pass to JJ Stokes, and it's an incompletion.
That happens to me all the time.
Old 01-11-03, 08:37 PM

If you double tap a button, you'll pump-fake to the respective receiver. I don't know why you holding down 'A' wouldn't have your QB trying to throw a laser to your 'A' receiver.

The only thing I can think of is: Are you squeezing the right trigger in at all? That would put the quarterback into his scramble, and he wouldn't be able to throw to a receiver until the trigger is once again untouched.

To complete a pass in 2k3, you're going to need separation for all but the most talented of receivers. That means great timing... if someone's running an out, you throw just as he makes the cut to the sideline; if someone's going to stop 10 yards downfield, you've got to throw it before he hits that spot, so he can just turn around and catch it before the DB, who was probably backpedalling, can recover. Wait too long on a pass and the defense will be in position to cause an incompletion with a hit.

We all mentioned the NFL 2k3 learning curve the other day. I'd strongly recommend using Maximum Passing. And you should run play after play on the practice field to learn your timing... everybody else with the game has done the same thing.
Old 01-12-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the tips guys, guess I will just keep at it.
Old 01-12-03, 01:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Slammer I suck at this too. I'd like to hook up on a game with you. What's your schedule like?