Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went out and caught George Clooney's directorial debut "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" and well... after seeing "Solaris", I thought George Clooney had really sunk too unusually low levels, and thought he could sink no lower... then he makes this movie...and totally redeems himself!

What a ****ing fantastic movie. That's the only way I can describe it. For all of you who don't know, the film is about the life of Chuck Barris (Sam Rockwell), the TV Producer who created such memorable shows as The Dating Game and the Gong Show... big ****ing deal you say? Well, did I also mention that he was a trained assassin working for the CIA?!?! This film is based on Barris' memoirs...but he has no proof to back up his claims of living this double life...but **** if it doesn't make for one hellova entertaining flick.

The supporting cast includes the likes of Clooney himself, Drew Barrymore and Julia Roberts. The flick is very stylish, funny and dark. It's got some great drama in it as well as a great deal of irony. Also, it's scripted by Charlie Kaufman, yes, the same guy who wrote Malkovich, Human Nature and Adaptation. The script here is very strong, with some great dialogue and Clooney shows extreme promise... It just goes to show that he learned a few tricks from Soderbergh, David O. Russell and The Coens.

The visual style is perfectly fitting for this kind of movie and there are some great shots in this movie. The acting is top notch, and as usual, Sam Rockwell shows why he's one of the most underappreciated actors working today... this film is much better than his other recent team up with Clooney "Welcome To Collinwood" which was an entertaining caper flick, but wasn't nearly as polished or confident.

If you want to see a really great flick, than go and check this one out... I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

MATT
Old 01-11-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this one, I've been waiting for. Ever since Art Bell interviewed Chuck Barris (so you know he's legit) I have been excited about this.
Old 01-11-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

really excited to see this myself! thanks for the opinion.
Old 01-11-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it too. It was very entertaining.
Old 01-11-03, 02:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I can't wait to see this! Sam Rockwell's big breakthrough - about frickin' time.
Old 01-11-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam Rockwell should get an Oscar nod for this film, but he probably won't.

He was excellent and he gave a near to dead-on portrayal of the not so loony Chuck Barris.

After reading Barris's books, you find out that he is actually a pretty smart man...not the laugh riot you see on The Gong Show.

And I do believe that he was really in the CIA.
Old 01-11-03, 10:29 PM

I loved this movie. I consider one of the best, if not the best film of 2002.
Old 01-11-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Great film.

Glad to see
Spoiler:
Rutger Hauer
is still around.

The one thing that bothered me though...
Spoiler:
too much of Sam's ass!

Though my girlfriend didn't seem to mind...
Old 01-12-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'll guess with such good reviews I should give it a shot. Maybe I'll watch it in 15 minutes...

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 01-12-03 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-12-03, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really want to see this....even though it has Julia Roberts in it.
Old 01-12-03, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Even with Roberts (and many other little cameo's) it is very Damn_Good. You will have your eyes open for a lot more cameo's before the movie is over and man, does the script just rock in this film. The style aswell and pacing is so dead on perfect.
Old 01-12-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Even with Roberts (and many other little cameo's) it is very Damn_Good. You will have your eyes open for a lot more cameo's before the movie is over and man, does the script just rock in this film. The style aswell and pacing is so dead on perfect.
This will be the first Julia Roberts movie I have seen in a long, long time. She is one of those actresses that affect me like chalk going the wrong way on a chalk board. Her presence in this movie is, to me, akin to Jar Jar in Star Wars or Macy Grey in Spider Man. All three of them annoy the fire out of me, but I won't let them ruin a great movie for me either.
Old 01-12-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jack,

How did you get?

you a member of the Academy? HFPA? or just a Plain movie reviewer?
Old 01-12-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to see this movie.
Old 01-12-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I am glad to see that you guys really liked this movie, because I had seen some pretty negative statements about it in the press recently. Months ago everyone seemed to have it really high up on their lists and then when people started to see it and review it, it didn't seem to be as good as people expected. Maybe that is just what happens when people get their expectations up too high.

Thanks for the good news, now I really can't wait.
Old 01-12-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't worry about Julia Roberts in the movie. She is only in it for like 10 minutes total.
Old 01-12-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
waitasec...I thought I was the only one that didn't like Julia Roberts??

So much for Access Hollywood/Entertainment Tonight propaganda...
Old 01-13-03, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Rogue588

The one thing that bothered me though...
Spoiler:
too much of Sam's ass!

Though my girlfriend didn't seem to mind...
Then this little response will be more enjoyable for your girlfriend.. a montage of some of the Many, MANY ass shots

Though, I did take a snap shot of two of the cameo's. I'll link them since they might be a bit of a spoiler...

http://www.theforumisdown.com/upload...102/cap020.jpg
http://www.theforumisdown.com/upload...102/cap021.jpg
http://www.theforumisdown.com/upload...102/cap024.jpg
Spoiler:
You would figure this was the set of Ocean's 11 part II.

as for how I got the dvd. Oscar consideration DVD. Glad they are now DVD's. The VHS versions were the only reason why I still really kept my VCR.
Old 01-13-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
as for how I got the dvd. Oscar consideration DVD. Glad they are now DVD's. The VHS versions were the only reason why I still really kept my VCR.
Well all I have to say is you better vote for this film.

If not, .
Old 01-13-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jack, you lucky bastard! I want this flick on dvd like....NOW!!! anyhow, when it opens wide, everyone should go see it... great pics of the cameos though... i thought they were hysterical!

MATT

and don't let all those ass shots drive you away...go see the movie.
Old 01-14-03, 11:54 PM

i saw a sneak preview of it months ago and was not all that impressed. i was expecting a lot going in and just came away disappointed. i felt the pacing was off. the plot dragged and i found myself looking at my watch much too often. oh well, guess i'm in the minority here.
Old 01-15-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Have you folks seen the ad's for it on tv? I don't know about you, but they are really selling this movie as a CIA type of film and highlighting Julia roberts roll bigger then Drew's. Seems like it's missleading to the public if you ask me. Why not just go off the fact that this is the guy who created the gong show? Does every movie now a days need to have the star selling power?
Old 01-15-03, 07:12 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes Jack, they are pushing Roberts as having a bigger role than Barrymore, but it also seems like they are pushing Clooney as having a bigger part too. If you look they say "starring Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Drew Barrymore, and Sam Rockwell as Chuck Barris". WTF is he last? I hate advertising sometimes...

Can't wait to check this out. Want to mail me your copy so I can give it a good look over before I vote for the Oscars?
Old 01-15-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah. Putting Clooney's name up front really helped Solaris.
Old 01-15-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually in all of the ads I have seen they give the actors' names in alphabetical order.

Drew Barrymore
George Clooney
Julia Roberts
Sam Rockwell

If I were a marketer, I would promote Julia too. In Full Frontal they did not promote her hardly at all and see how the movie did?

When Julia is promoted big the film usually does big bucks.

But I don't think she has been promoted a lot in the previews at all. And I am almost 75% sure this film will not get big bucks. BUT I REALLY HOPE IT DOES. It is worthy.

Last edited by conscience; 01-15-03 at 05:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.